PDA

View Full Version : Tassimo: The Best Thing in the World

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/Screenshot2009-11-30at30810PM.png

I love coffee. Every morning I'd either start up my Cuisinart 600 or Starbucks Barista machine, and often on busier days I'd resort to a drive-thru vendor such as Starbucks or McDonalds. But there is one thing that has always bugged me about my daily caffeine task - the consistency. Every cup of coffee I had tasted different from the last...

After a bit of research, I was looking at a Keurig or a Nespresso - having tried both at some point in time previously. I then came across Tassimo, and the concept alone sold me over the other two.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/ts2.jpg

The Tassimo uses T-Discs which come in a variety of sizes and flow styles. Each disc is topped with a barcode that is scanned by the Tassimo machine, which then tell it how much water is needed, at what temperature, how long to brew for, and how to dispense. Perhaps one of the most beneficial things with this system is that the drink goes directly from the outlet on the disc into your cup - so there is no dirty nozzle to clean.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/ts4.jpg

The machine is so easy to use, its almost childish. If you want hot chocolate simply take the disc, put it in the machine, and press the silver button. In less than a minute a perfect cup of cocoa is ready. Clean up? Take the disc out - done.

How about a Latte? Pop in an expresso disc, press and wait. Pop in a latte disc (with shelf-stable milk product inside), and the milk is even frothed at the end. The specialty hot drinks have impressed me enough, but even the regular coffee like the Cafe Verona blend from Starbucks is absolutely fantastic tasting - as if I got it in-store. There are tons of different brands and flavours and beverages to choose from, everything from Suchards hot chocolate to Twinnings Tea.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/ts3-2.jpg

Since I usually only need a cup or two at a time, brewing a whole pot of coffee just doesn't make much sense. At the slight increase in cost having to by the t-discs, the simplicity and benefits of making it cup by cup far outweighs the downfalls. The drinks simply taste better than anything I've made with my other machines, and every cup tastes like the last. I highly recommend getting one!

Any other users here?

benyl
11-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Wow, look at all that packaging.

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Have you ever tried a coffee press? I like the idea of those machines but the quality of the coffee is pretty average IMO.

I am obsessed with coffee as well, and other than the sheer variety offered by those machines, personally I much prefer fresh ground coffee made with a press. Takes a bit longer though.

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Have you ever tried a coffee press? I like the idea of those machines but the quality of the coffee is pretty average IMO.

I am obsessed with coffee as well, and other than the sheer variety offered by those machines, personally I much prefer fresh ground coffee made with a press. Takes a bit longer though.

While I do love my coffee plunger and grinding fresh beans every morning, I do prefer the simplicity, consistency and lack of clean up with the Tassimo versus the tediousness of my press - despite it sometimes being superior in taste.

Kritafo
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
I bought the Tassimo before all the other machines came out..I loved mine until it died a month ago. I was hooked on the Chai Latte... I am going to break down and buy another, have so many t-disks. We bought tons in the states some of the flavours you can't get in Canada.

Most of the packaging is recyclable. ... I do open my pods to scrap out the coffee and tea for my compost. You can recycle the plastic pods if you take off the aluminum.

Weapon_R
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
How much does a box of discs cost? I tried a latte from one of these discs and it was nothing like a going to a real coffee shop. The creme wasn't frothy at all.

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
How much does a box of discs cost? I tried a latte from one of these discs and it was nothing like a going to a real coffee shop. The creme wasn't frothy at all.

Around 24 Starbucks discs for around $20, or around $6 - $10 for 12/14 packs of others. A little pricey, but the cup of starbucks still works out to less than half of what it would cost at the shop itself.

With regards to the creme, I will agree - I do prefer foamed milk from my barista machine but for pure simplicity's sake I love the Tassimo version. I do tend to just have regular coffee more often than not as well, so im not much of a latte connoisseur to begin with.

r3ccOs
11-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I "personally" have to give my thumbs up to the Tassimo, as its superior to the Keurig in every regard.

The espresso coffee is "tampped" correctly and the PSI & temp of the water is ideal for "true" espresso.

That being said, I just can't justify the cost... My dad owns a couple Timothys coffees and yea... gound Saigon Dark espresso just isn't that expensive.

project240
11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
From what I have read the Tassimo is to HD DVD as the Keurig is to Bluray.

We've had a Keurig for awhile now and really enjoy the coffee.

nonlinear
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Wow, look at all that packaging.

i was just gonna say this same thing. pollywog, you probablly use ketchup, mustard and mayo packets at home too, eh? :poosie:

seriously though, environmental footprint much?

HaganDazs
11-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by project240
From what I have read the Tassimo is to HD DVD as the Keurig is to Bluray.

We've had a Keurig for awhile now and really enjoy the coffee.

Can you elaborate on the differences between the 2 brands? I'm trying to decide which one to get as a christmas gift. The Keurig B40 goes for $100, which I think is fair. And you can buy a My k-cup so you can use your own coffee grounds.

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

i was just gonna say this same thing. pollywog, you probablly use ketchup, mustard and mayo packets at home too, eh? :poosie:

seriously though, environmental footprint much? Are you seriously trying to flame me for purchasing a product that requires individually packaged contents? I bet you give the gears to people who buy condoms, filters, oil, light bulbs, etc as well. :facepalm:

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by HaganDazs

Can you elaborate on the differences between the 2 brands? I'm trying to decide which one to get as a christmas gift. The Keurig B40 goes for $100, which I think is fair. And you can buy a My k-cup so you can use your own coffee grounds.
They both cater to slightly different needs.

Which of the popular coffee maker pods should you choose? The two most popular options are Keurig coffee makers and Tassimo coffee makers. They provide similar functionality but there are several differences between the two brands that can help you make your decision.

It's important to note to begin with that you can't go wrong with either of these two choices. Both companies are very highly rated and the people who buy them are almost always thrilled with their decisions. So the choice between a Keurig and a Tassimo isn't life or death, it really comes down to personal preferences.

Keurig Coffee Makers
Keurig has at least six different main models that run the gamut in terms of price range and features. The good news is that even the cheapest models, coming in at around $60 or $70 produce the same great coffee in the same quick time as the more expensive models.

The differences lie in style, design and the size of the water reservoir, as well as intended use. For example, they have a model designed specifically as an office coffee maker that is built to be rugged and withstand a constant bombardment of uses.

The coffee maker pods for Keurig are called K Cups. Keurig produces their own wide range of flavors and tastes. In addition, they have partnerships with many popular coffee manufacturers. You can get your Keurig K Cups with Caribou Coffee, Green Mountain, Newman's Organics, Emeril's and many others.

Tassimo Coffee Makers

Tassimo has their machines made by both Bosch and Braun. There are less total models available and while there are cheap options, on the whole they are a bit more expensive than what Keurig offers.

However, they are extraordinarily fast. With a Tassimo you can make your coffee in under a minute from start to finish, offering extreme convenience and ease of use. Another benefit to the Tassimo brand is that their coffee maker pods come in Starbucks coffee flavors. No other pods offer Starbucks, so if you're a fiend for them and want to indulge at your home or office, than it makes sense to go and get a Tassimo.

The Tassimo reads a page off Keurig’s play book (and Nespresso’s before it) by encapsulating its coffee in its own sealed package — the T-Disc — which boasts a number of innovations. T-Discs can be manufactured with an array of options in terms of overall capacity, payload type, and the size and shape of its exit aperture. The array of sizes allows for payloads of not only coffee, but also chocolate syrup and shelf-stable dairy products. The various apertures of the T-Disc allow the Tassimo to deliver a simple stream of liquid to your cup, or a frothy, textured foam.

The bottom line is that both Keurig coffee makers and Tassimo coffee makers are extremely easy to use and produce great coffee. With Keurig you will have more choices in terms of the coffee that is available and the models. With Tassimo you will be able to enjoy Starbucks coffee in less than a minute. Both brands are popular and loved by those who use them.

Source (http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Keurig-Coffee-Makers-Or-Tassimo-Coffee-Makers-Better?&id=2347490)

nonlinear
11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
i would say this situation is more akin to my example (ketchup, mustatrd, mayo packets) than it is yours.

and yes, I probably would 'give the gears' to an idiot who bought boxes of ketchup packets instead of just buying a bottle of ketchup.

inline6turbo
11-30-2009, 08:57 PM

seriously though, environmental footprint much?

If you brew the coffee into a reusable coffee mug then it is absolutely no different then buying a coffee at any drive through. Probably better considering some use styrofoam cups that they use aren't biodegradable. And those little tcups are recyclable. So :poosie:

I've added that to my christmas list lol how much does it go for? And can you buy them at any store?

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
i would say this situation is more akin to my example (ketchup, mustatrd, mayo packets) than it is yours.

and yes, I probably would 'give the gears' to an idiot who bought boxes of ketchup packets instead of just buying a bottle of ketchup.

My point is that I buy bottles of ketchup, I buy things in bulk. You have no option with these machines but to use one package per serving - just like you would have packaging for each pizzapop in a box, each piece of gum in a pack, etc. Your argument is not only ridiculous, but completely un-related. If you have e-beef of some sort deal with it elsewhere.

Originally posted by inline6turbo

I've added that to my christmas list lol how much does it go for? And can you buy them at any store?
Lol, you won't regret it, these things are friggin awesome. The cheapest ones i've seen in stores are $159 (I got my mid-model for sub-$150 with a friends discount).

calgarys_finest
11-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

If you brew the coffee into a reusable coffee mug then it is absolutely no different then buying a coffee at any drive through. Probably better considering some use styrofoam cups that they use aren't biodegradable. And those little tcups are recyclable. So :poosie:

They have them at Bed, Bath and Beyond for 189.99 i am cheap and couldnt get myself to buy one. If anyone here that has one can you control how stong they make it? Somedays i was a really strong cup of coffee other days i dont.

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
If anyone here that has one can you control how stong they make it? Somedays i was a really strong cup of coffee other days i dont.

On the Tassimo machine when the drink dispensing is complete, pressing the silver button will dispense more water into it. If you prefer a stronger beverage, pressing the button at any point in time during the dispensing process will make it stop. I also agree that the price is fairly steep for the unit, especially compared to some of the cheaper k-cup machines.

Kritafo
11-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Supestore has one of the Tassimo models of Bosch for 99.99

Also...I bought the Tassimo because I am the only coffee drinker in the house. I would make a pot and throw away coffee everyday. .. So this was a great option for me and I hate wasting money at any coffee shops.

jsn
11-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I have one at home and It's great when you want a quick cup of coffee. Nice and simple. I need to get some more variety though. So far I only have coffee and some espresso. This isn't the only thing I use though. I have one of those slow drippers for Vietnamese coffee if I feel like waiting longer for a better cup of coffee :)

Nonlinear... do you buy coffee or do you only brew your own at home? How is this different than the disposable cups you throw away every time you buy a cup of coffee?

Kritafo
11-30-2009, 11:38 PM
I also have the vietnemesse coffee thing because we love it iced...it's the only way my husband will drink coffee..cold and sweet. lol

I also have a regular pot for when we have company and a pressed coffee maker....just don't use it often... all of them gifts...I don't think I would have even bought one myself, but coffee pots and tea pots seem to be a popular Christmas gift at my house.

nich148_9
11-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I "personally" have to give my thumbs up to the Tassimo, as its superior to the Keurig in every regard.

The espresso coffee is "tampped" correctly and the PSI & temp of the water is ideal for "true" espresso.

That being said, I just can't justify the cost... My dad owns a couple Timothys coffees and yea... gound Saigon Dark espresso just isn't that expensive.

There is simply no way this machine can pull a correct shot in the same way a real espresso machine can.

In addition, the milk they use is ultra-high-temperature sterilized, which means it can sit on the shelf for much longer, except it's burnt, so it tastes foul.

I like the concept of single-serving coffee, but the packaging (who cares if it's recyclable? – you're still consuming a huge amount of raw materials) and the quality (mediocre, at best) put me off. I'll stick with my Silvia (http://www.rancilio.it/rancilio/prod_model.jsp?id_model=49&id_language=3&id_category=26).

jsn
11-30-2009, 11:47 PM
^^ no one said it's better than a real espresso machine. I agree that the coffee it makes is not nearly as good. It's just nice because it's fast and convenient and the drinks it makes are half decent

nich148_9
11-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by jsn
^^ no one said it's better than a real espresso machine. I agree that the coffee it makes is not nearly as good. It's just nice because it's fast and convenient and the drinks it makes are half decent

The quoted post says it's equal to an espresso machine. :bullshit:

TYMSMNY
11-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I agree. I absolutely can't get enough of my french press + grinder, knowing that the beans are freshly grounded and not in a packaged in Montana. 5 sec grind + 2-3min wait while I make toast... :drool:

At almost $1 each, I find that the convenience/variety is not worth it. Good on Bosch + Kraft for making it so easy though. Had one at the office, always people in the coffee room.

now.. for an espresso machine!

nonlinear
11-30-2009, 11:54 PM
disposable cups are biodegradable, and made from a renewable resource :thumbsup:

inline6turbo
11-30-2009, 11:56 PM
disposable cups are biodegradable, and made from a renewable resource :thumbsup:

Dixie cups are non recyclable non biodegradable styrofoam. (I'm looking at the cup I just got at the local coffee mart across the street)

Pollywog
11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by nich148_9
There is simply no way this machine can pull a correct shot in the same way a real espresso machine can.
Correct, but the result is fairly close.

In addition, the milk they use is ultra-high-temperature sterilized, which means it can sit on the shelf for much longer, except it's burnt, so it tastes foul.

Incorrect. Not only is it wickedly delicious, but you are also forgetting that this is produced by the masterminds at Kraft - who can even make plastic palatable.

Originally posted by jsn
^^ no one said it's better than a real espresso machine.
:werd: I own a Starbucks Barista machine which makes fantastic expresso. The expresso from the Tassimo almost doesn't compare, but the fact that I don't have the cleanup (which sucks ass imo for expresso) makes it an easy alternative.

Originally posted by jsn
It's just nice because it's fast and convenient and the drinks it makes are half decent
Double :werd:

TYMSMNY
12-01-2009, 12:07 AM

I like the concept of single-serving coffee, but the packaging (who cares if it's recyclable? – you're still consuming a huge amount of raw materials) and the quality (mediocre, at best) put me off. I'll stick with my Silvia (http://www.rancilio.it/rancilio/prod_model.jsp?id_model=49&id_language=3&id_category=26).

Where did you pick up your rancilio? local?

nich148_9
12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Incorrect. Not only is it wickedly delicious, but you are also forgetting that this is produced by the masterminds at Kraft - who can even make plastic palatable.

This is incredibly subjective. However, if you're a fan of Starbucks lattes, you'll be a fan of these.

Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Where did you pick up your rancilio? local?

Nah, bought it online. However, the Espresso King on Centre Street (I think) would probably be able to bring one in. He has some damn good machines there.

jsn
12-01-2009, 12:25 AM

Yes but most end up in a garbage bag which just makes its way to the city dump. Unless you take each cup home and throw them in the recycling bin, I don't see how using these are any worse than buying coffee outside.

Yea I agree with you though Nich. These machines are not really meant for those who have a taste for gourmet coffee. Mostly for convenience and ease of use. It's nice being able to wake up in the morning and have a cup of coffee ready in less than a minute. Eventually I'd like to have a real espresso machine when I'm done school and can afford to fork out the big bucks for a better machine :D

TYMSMNY
12-01-2009, 12:36 AM
I don't think people buy these machines for environmental purposes. The amount of material and processes used to make these individual machines would cancel most of the positives out. People that buy these machines STILL would go to their local starbucks.

slinkie
12-01-2009, 01:21 AM
+1 love this machine highly recommend it.

also who cares about the environmental impact from a few coffee packets. i'm sure these coffe makers are making an infinitesimally small impact in the grand scheme of things.

nich148_9
12-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

also who cares about the environmental impact from a few coffee packets. i'm sure these coffe makers are making an infinitesimally small impact in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry, I'm not a hippie, but realistically we should be concerned about every impact we may be having on the environment. You may only use one or two of those packets every day. Multiply by 365. Now multiply by the number of people using those machines. That's a lot of waste.

I prefer to use a reusable mug any chance I get. I'm not sure that it's having a drastic environmental impact, compared to the number of people still using disposable cups, but it's one of those things that people need to be conscious of.

:hijack:

bjstare
12-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Got one of these for a wedding present. It was definitely a novelty item for my wife and I though. The lattes were good... at first. After you have a few, then make a trip by a starbucks (or brew your own, with fresh milk), you'll really notice the difference, and just how sub-par the tassimo lattes are.

On the flip side, my wife LOVES the hot chocolate it makes, and I also like the normal coffee that comes from it. Unfortunately, we live in a small apt, and since we don't have enough counter space for two coffee makers, the Tassimo lives in the closet now.

Bottom line: Don't buy this for your main coffee maker, get it as a secondary for the quick, single cup-no time for cleanup-mornings. And stay away from the specialty drinks. Unless of course, you really want to be blown away by how good a real specialty drink will taste, when made correctly.

TYMSMNY
12-01-2009, 01:42 AM

Sorry, I'm not a hippie, but realistically we should be concerned about every impact we may be having on the environment. You may only use one or two of those packets every day. Multiply by 365. Now multiply by the number of people using those machines. That's a lot of waste.

I prefer to use a reusable mug any chance I get. I'm not sure that it's having a drastic environmental impact, compared to the number of people still using disposable cups, but it's one of those things that people need to be conscious of.

:hijack:

Don't know what's worse... plastic to make the machine or the paper cups. :banghead:

jsn
12-01-2009, 01:47 AM
^^ that was my main point. I'm not saying this machine is environment friendly. I'm just saying I don't think its that much worse than the disposable cups.

bjstare
12-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by jsn

Yes but most end up in a garbage bag which just makes its way to the city dump. Unless you take each cup home and throw them in the recycling bin, I don't see how using these are any worse than buying coffee outside.

He said biodegradable not recyclable. This means, when the cup inevitably ends up in the dump, it will decompose there, instead of sitting there for a million years like a styrofoam cup might. It has absolutely nothing with taking it somewhere to be recycled.

jsn
12-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Biodegradables don't always fully biodegrade though. When they end up in the dump, the garbage gets piled so much, that its pretty much in an anaerobic environment, so it'll take a long time before it biodegrades. Well either way I'm just saying I don't think this machine is that much worse than disposable cups seeing how the plastic is recyclable.

Cooked Rice
12-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm way to lazy to make a pot in the morning. A Tassimo is quite tempting considering I don't have to waste making a whole pot for only one cup. And the fact you can have so much variety.

Jay911
12-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Two of my family members have Tassimo machines. One managed to wear hers out in a little over 7 months. :rofl:

bigboom
12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
i did some shopping for these a little while ago and i prefer the nespresso units over any of these things. the packing is a lot smaller and you can get them with actual steam frothers.

Pollywog
12-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
i did some shopping for these a little while ago and i prefer the nespresso units over any of these things. the packing is a lot smaller and you can get them with actual steam frothers. I've heard good things about the nespresso. I got to try one in japan in a shopping mall and thought the expresso was quite impressive for coming from such a small cup, plus there is an extensive variety. However I have also heard that you cannot make anything larger than 4oz. , but that might just be hearsay.

bigboom
12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
I've heard good things about the nespresso. I got to try one in japan in a shopping mall and thought the expresso was quite impressive for coming from such a small cup, plus there is an extensive variety. However I have also heard that you cannot make anything larger than 4oz. , but that might just be hearsay.

thats true...you can only pull espresso out of it. but it can make a good americano which is as close to coffee as you can get.

but the espresso out of nespresso is WAY better than any other machines i've tried and ive tried both keurig and tassimo. not to mention more cost effective as well. depending on the bean and roast you pick the cost ranges from 25 cents to 75 cents.

R-Audi
12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
We got a Keurig at Costco.. with 90 or so pods for $150. Pretty good deal IMO.. we love it!