PDA

View Full Version : 60,000 miles between oil changes is ok, right?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-30-2009, 11:03 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1261/dsc00860rvk.jpg

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1281659

Dave P
11-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Holy Fuck hahaha!!!

i didn't get through it all, but did he say why he didn't change his oil?

sr20s14zenki
11-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Looks like a few engines i've seen from japan. Yikes

alloroc
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Yummy.

JordanAndrew
11-30-2009, 11:24 PM
That really sucks, time for a new engine.

:facepalm:

Kloubek
11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm speechless. I can't believe someone would let a BMW get into that kind of condition.

I like the last post on there (as of right now). A teacher wants permission to show his class what will happen if oil is left unchanged...

GQBalla
11-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Looks like a few engines i've seen from japan. Yikes

NO WAY@!

JDM is always always mint:rolleyes:

msommers
11-30-2009, 11:36 PM
mmmm....melted chocolate

TomcoPDR
11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Probably what taxi engines look like

mowglee
12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm speechless. I can't believe someone would let a BMW get into that kind of condition.

I can't believe anyone would let ANY car get into that condition.

EK 2.0
12-01-2009, 12:22 AM
meh, camshaft lobes are clean...

Just top it up, new filter and put it back together...

scat19
12-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I recognized that engine bay in a second... seeing as I've had two of the cars now. Ugh, this makes me sad! Dang. I feel bad for letting it go 12k, not 8. lmao.

~Touge/Wangan-
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
"Thats not thinking with your Dipstick JIMMY!"
:nut:

derpderp
12-01-2009, 12:38 AM
/

RecoilS14
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
fuckin hot tank that shit and it'll be good to go!

Toma
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
That weird.

I had a 380,000 k Chev truck with a 350 in it. I didn;t change oil for the last 100,000+ cause it leaked/smoked so bad I had to add a litre or so a week.

Pulled the valve covers, and it was clean :dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
If you're going through a litre of oil a week, that's more like a continual flush! Shit, I bet that your overall oil quality was higher than if you'd done regular changes! :rofl:

revelations
12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I cant believe the BMW engine was RUNNING still....I've seen engines make metal after 20,000kms of running the same oil and filter.

Graham_A_M
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Word.

Those pics made me shutter. Just.... wow....... honestly.

I knew a dumbass that waited 25k km's, but 40k miles?
Incredible that engine lasted that long, honestly.

JZS_147
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

NO WAY@!

JDM is always always mint:rolleyes:

Totally! How can anything be wrong with it if it only has 20,000K!

mekeni
12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147

Totally! How can anything be wrong with it if it only has 20,000K!

+1, we all know stop and go traffic is the best way to treat your engine !! :rolleyes:

AndyL
12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
This is the thing that always gets me on the diesel forums, some of these guys are doing funky filters just to get some more life out of their stupid $$$ synthetics...

I'm sorry I'd still rather buy plain old walmart brand oil (still has the correct ratings - but 8$ for a gallon) and replace oil/filters on schedule rather than spend a fortune on oil and try to make it last longer by all kinds of funky filtration...

Although - I do have a amsoil 2 micron bypass filter, that I'm going to use on the diesel swap in the 4runner... But it'll still get changed on schedule - even if it is 'clean' and soot free...

black300
12-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Actually taxi's are fairly clean compared to a lot of cars, they are washed twice and vacummed twice in a day, the day driver does it at end of shift than night driver does the same at end of his shift.

And a lot of taxi driver's get their oil changed at 5,000 kms which is about 2 weeks for a taxi if it has two drivers which means taxi is getting ran for 24 hrs (12 hours each driver) Also they have mechanicals every 6 months which are done by Licensed Mechanics or can be checked by the taxi commission anytime anywhere! I drove an Impala as my winter beater it was an ex taxi from Red Top and the car had 586,xxx kms when I bought and I sold it close to 600,000 kms and ran fine, same engine hadn't ever been rebuilt or changed. Car ran like a champ and how a new one would.

I would consider a ex-taxi if I had low $ and wanted reliability and a decent year.

Cock Knuckle
12-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm sorry I'd still rather buy plain old walmart brand oil (still has the correct ratings - but 8$ for a gallon) and replace oil/filters on schedule rather than spend a fortune on oil and try to make it last longer by all kinds of funky filtration...

You must really dislike your vehicle to be using Wal-Mart brand oil. Get one thing straight: That stuff is LIQUID GARBAGE.

They allow a much greater percentage of Recycled oil to be used in their "new" oil. This, as well as the increased levels of detergents will eventually spell the end of your engine. I know from second hand accounts at least 5 owners of farm machinery have been screwed over. They were too damn cheap and bought Wal-Mart oil by the barrel, only to end up trashing an engine on a new 350k+ Combine.

Also, another one I heard was to not be surprised if you open up your oil and find it replaced with water + dishsoap.

AndyL
12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Never had a problem with it - change it on schedule; works just fine... Carries all the same ratings as the brand name stuff, meaning it meets the same requirements and quality control...

I put a lot of km's on my truck - if there was a problem, I'd know it and the truck would be dead... But it's not - and it keeps on chugging along...

I can find ya people who had bad results after using the mobil 1/amsoils/other "high end" oils... Doesn't mean they're bad, in my world usually moves closer to there was something else wrong (pre existing condition) or the oil didn't meet ratings...

revelations
12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
This is the thing that always gets me on the diesel forums, some of these guys are doing funky filters just to get some more life out of their stupid $$$ synthetics...

Although - I do have a amsoil 2 micron bypass filter, that I'm going to use on the diesel swap in the 4runner... But it'll still get changed on schedule - even if it is 'clean' and soot free...

Maybe buying higher end stuff is more of a "car guys" thing. :dunno:

Us car nuts want the best for the vehicle whereas people who use their cars strictly as an A-B device could care less about using high end oils, just whatever meets the requirements (eg. walmart brand).

Also I am lazy and would rather pay 50% more for oil that will last a year rather than changing every 6 months (based on my driving habits).

01RedDX
12-04-2009, 12:35 PM

AndyL
12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Maybe buying higher end stuff is more of a "car guys" thing. :dunno:

Us car nuts want the best for the vehicle whereas people who use their cars strictly as an A-B device could care less about using high end oils, just whatever meets the requirements (eg. walmart brand).

Also I am lazy and would rather pay 50% more for oil that will last a year rather than changing every 6 months (based on my driving habits).
Nah, high end oil isn't a car end thing... It's a marketing thing.

I am a car guy; I do lots of wrenching; I love my cars, love working on them (and doing insane things with them... Like the VW frankenmotor (1.6 block, 1.9 head) getting built for my 4runner).

I'm not lazy - I'd rather change out the oil regularly and know it's clean rather than trying to push the limits and risk a sludge buildup to rival 60k miles without an oilchange... The oil Manufacturers might claim you can go longer - but the manufacturers recommendations still stand; I trust the engineers who designed the vehicle & drivetrain over the engineers at the company claiming you can ignore that schedule...

sputnik
12-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Meh.

Just take it to Mr Lube and have them run their cleaning agent through the engine.

Extra $10... problem solved.

desto2para
12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
HOLY!
its like someone took a shit on the engine!

huanic
12-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).