PDA

View Full Version : Electric sidewalk heaters??

whatthe
12-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Anybody use these? How do you like them? Where did you buy them?

scat19
12-01-2009, 02:27 PM
You're THAT lazy? :rofl:

ercchry
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by scat19
You're THAT lazy? :rofl:

i can not believe you are THAT annoying

mshaw
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
if i could find them i would definately be that lazy. i fuckin hate clearing the sidewalk

mr2mike
12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Warmly yours makes them.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=warmly+yours+side+walk+melting

nich148_9
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
There's a fine line between laziness and efficiency. This is the latter.

I hope you find something. Might be something I could try too.

Mibz
12-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I imagine the cost of heating concrete in -30 weather is retarded, they'll probably think you've got a grow op during blizzards. Still, I might just buy one of those mats and throw it out on top of my driveway while I shovel the sidewalk. Then I could get it installed when I get a new house.

FraserB
12-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Thats not really a bad price for what it is.

Canmorite
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Prepare for a build up of ice at the end of your driveway. These things are usually so expensive to power, it's more cheaper to hire a snow removal company.

hampstor
12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
damn too bad I couldn't do this under the sidewalk... I may just have to get a snowblower afterall.

AndyL
12-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Bulk rolls of heat tape - but has to be laid before concrete is poured. That's typically how they do ramps when there's no boiler/radiant heat in the building.

benyl
12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
The neighbor across the street has this under his driveway. I get jealous.

HondaKid
12-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I look forward to the request for grass which grows to no more than 2.5 inches, stays green and needs no watering. Also, the seven minute ab request, cause six minutes is simply stupid.

benyl
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
My other neighbor is going to install that fake grass this spring. It's like $8 sqft.

You just spray it off. hahaha, damn my neighbors are lazy.

Mibz
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
If I could flick a switch that changed my fake grass from green to brown in winter I'd do it :P

whatthe
12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Lazy is not getting off the couch to let your dog out, and then it pees on the floor.

Maybe someone wants it simply becuase it's nice to have, because they are going away in winter and need sidewalks clear, becausethey have commercial property and can't be there to shovel walks all the time, or because they can't rely on snow removal services, or because that time is better spent enjoying something else in life, or because of heart problems.

-----

How exactly do heart attacks occur when shovelling?
Strenuous exercise and cold weather each have the ability to increase blood pressure and heart rate. They can also elevate blood concentration of fibrinogen, a protein associated with blood clotting. But when strenuous exercise and cold weather are combined, the risk of heart attack is even greater.
As your heart beats faster, the shape of your blood vessels can change. Studies have shown that those who have died while shovelling snow or performing other vigorous winter activities, have plaque inside their blood vessels that has ruptured. This rupture may be caused by an increase in blood pressure or changes in vascular tone linked to physical exertion.
Research also indicates that acute heart problems increase in connection with significant dips in outdoor temperature. One study notes that a 10-degree drop in temperature represents a 38 percent increased risk of a recurrent heart attack.
Source: Heart and Stroke's Point of View - Should heart patients shovel snow? , published by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.

FraserB
12-01-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't think the heated concrete and fake grass is lazy at all. I fucking hate shoveling snow and cutting grass, and for some reason there are no neighborhood kids who go around and do it anymore. I know I was out busting my ass every time it snow when I was younger.

BlackArcher101
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
50 watts per square foot?

I fail to see how that will melt snow in colder temps.

theken
12-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Warmly yours makes them.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=warmly+yours+side+walk+melting
you spelt sidewalk wrong

HuMz
12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
50 watts per square foot?

I fail to see how that will melt snow in colder temps.

My uncle has the patio one and its been effective the few times i've seen it....besides the power per square foot is meaningless in how much head it gives off.

BlackArcher101
12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Power per square foot is meaningless? It's a factor in determining Btu's which is key to determine the temperature rise.

I'll have to break out the thermo books later to see what the actual rise would be.

phreezee
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by benyl
My other neighbor is going to install that fake grass this spring. It's like $8 sqft.

You just spray it off. hahaha, damn my neighbors are lazy.

Do you know what company does this? I need it for the dogs in the backyard, I can't keep up with the maintenance.
All the ones I've googled are carpet like and installation is labour intensive.

whatthe
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
http://www.warmzone.com is another, CSA approved, and they have a few different applications.

I picked up some tires at some guys place years ago and he had the electric system installed. It was miserably cool, but I doubt it was cooler than -15. In any case, his driveway and sidewalks were clear of snow despite a light snow all day.

For rental commercial apps this looks impressive... http://www.groundthaw.com/node/28 but if you convert to a watt equivalent at their max of 6000 sq.ft, it's less than 50 watts/foot.

Another thing to consider is that the bottom side of the pathway won't necessarily be dealing with the same temp as ambient. I've got dusty therm books as well, but I am still kind of hoping for a few real world experiences.

I am thinking that a solid week of -20, or large dumps could necessitate a little extra manual labour. Also, would think drainage should be addressed, lest the melted snow runs off and makes ice in a bad spot.

buh_buh
12-02-2009, 01:07 AM
I would get both.

Call me lazy or whatever. Bottom line, I wouldn't have to shovel the walk or mow the lawn, and you do.

KRyn
12-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by HuMz

My uncle has the patio one and its been effective the few times i've seen it....besides the power per square foot is meaningless in how much head it gives off.

Mmm if it heats my patio and gives me head sign me up.

scat19
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

i can not believe you are THAT annoying

I can't believe you're THAT much of a ricer

ercchry
12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by scat19

I can't believe you're THAT much of a ricer

wow took you all day to come up with that? :rofl:

Neil4Speed
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Power per square foot is meaningless? It's a factor in determining Btu's which is key to determine the temperature rise.

I'll have to break out the thermo books later to see what the actual rise would be.

I got to agree with you, I find it amazing that this could effectively melt snow when it is -35 outside with only 50 watts per square foot.

scat19
12-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

wow took you all day to come up with that? :rofl:

Didn't check this thread until this morning, sorry it wasn't in a timely fashion.

Next time, I'll govern myself accordingly. As you were.

Mibz
12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
TurboD was the new Toms-SC, scat19 is the new TurboD.

It seems anybody who hates shoveling, mowing or getting in a freezing car is lazy and has a vagina the size of... well his.

mr2mike
12-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Not looking at the specs but I believe they say you turn this on when it first starts snowing. I wonder if you had like a foot of snow, would it melt?

Mibz
12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Not looking at the specs but I believe they say you turn this on when it first starts snowing. I wonder if you had like a foot of snow, would it melt? I imagine it would be a lot harder. Though I also imagine that if you're installing this, you can install some sort of snow sensor to automatically turn it on.

Mitsu3000gt
12-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Not looking at the specs but I believe they say you turn this on when it first starts snowing. I wonder if you had like a foot of snow, would it melt?

This is correct, from what I understand. Same with driveway heaters. You won't be around to turn it on every time it just starts snowing, but the idea is that you just want to keep it warm enough for the snow not to accumulate. Ice can be a bit of an issue but with some salt/sand it isn't a huge deal. They are not really meant to be turned on for hours and hours after you have a foot of snow sitting on your driveway/sidewalk. Or you can do a half assed shovel job, and then use the heater to get all the stuff you would have to work at or chip off with an ice scraper.

ekguy
12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
It's so funny people's atttitude at shoveling snow out here haha. Try waking up to your car being a bump of snow in your driveway under 5 feet of snow....Then ask yourself why it's so hard to shovel 10 feet by maybe 3 feet of 2 inches of light fluffy snow...People in Calgary are increasingly lazy.

hampstor
12-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
It's so funny people's atttitude at shoveling snow out here haha. Try waking up to your car being a bump of snow in your driveway under 5 feet of snow....Then ask yourself why it's so hard to shovel 10 feet by maybe 3 feet of 2 inches of light fluffy snow...People in Calgary are increasingly lazy.

You should be thanking people for looking at quicker ways to remove snow off the sidewalk rather than calling them lazy asses. You should be directing your anger at the lazy fuckers who DON'T do any snow removal period.

I used to think snowblowers/snowmelt was for lazy people too. I now live in a home with 160ft of sidewalk and am looking for a snowblower to use for those days like we had back in March/April.

ekguy
12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

You should be thanking people for looking at quicker ways to remove snow off the sidewalk rather than calling them lazy asses. You should be directing your anger at the lazy fuckers who DON'T do any snow removal period.

I used to think snowblowers/snowmelt was for lazy people too. I now live in a home with 160ft of sidewalk and am looking for a snowblower to use for those days like we had back in March/April.

snowblowers aren't a bad idea....But really a sidewalk warmer???? That's lazyness brought to a new level right there.

We use snowblowers back home since we really have no choice in the matter. Having a 100 foot long driveway and 5 feet of snow...But sidewalk warmers wouldn't even melt a big amount of snow so it's really only useful for small amounts of snow that would take no amount of time to clear.

Jetsons
12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
So instead of all the BS, how about someone post a link to a product and offer some experience.

scat19
12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
160ft of sidewalk

ooooooo!

When I lived at home I had to shovel two driveways, a total of about a 1000FT.

4lti
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If I could flick a switch that changed my fake grass from green to brown in winter I'd do it :P
astroturf lol, my friends houses in New Brighton have it all on there lawns.

AndyL
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
The proper way to control one isn't to 'go turn it on' - there are specialized thermostats designed to flip the switch (contactor) when freezing (ie hoar frost) or precipitation is detected...

Like any home system these days - should be pretty much automatic...

You wont find too many reviews because there are few people who use them in residential applications... Most often they're used in commercial buildings, and building operators wouldn't have a clue what they have in the slab... But trust me - 99% of the time it's good old fashioned heating tape (yep same stuff they wrap water lines in parkades/mobile homes/etc with), it's laid as the slab is prepped. No commercial name/brand name/etc - just a note on the drawings "electric in slab heating".

7thgenvic
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Parents driveway has it the entire length of the driveway...Not cheap to heat the fucker up....No snow removal...No ice...Just pure drivewar... :) lazy fucks