PDA

View Full Version : Stream media to my TV- Wireless N

bspot
12-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm looking for a media streaming device for my bedroom. I'm looking for something small that can stream wirelessly from my NAS. I've found lots of devices that fit this criteria, but they are only wireless G.

I'd just buy another Xbox, but I'd like something smaller and quieter as the TV is mounted in a corner against some bricks and I'm hoping to avoid having to put a shelf up.

Anyone have any good ones? I've been searching for a long time with little luck.

lint
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Some info here
http://gizmodo.com/5397986/hd-media-player-battlemodo-apple-tv-killers

I went with the WDTV Live, connected via wireless N bridge as I don't have 1080p content to stream. Small, quiet and will be replacing my noisy xbox running xbmc. No problems with formats so far only issue is no support for DVD menus. Just takes some navigating to find the right file.

eblend
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
WDTV Live X 4 here myself, you can get supported wireless N USB adapters and it will become wireless.

nobb
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
HD or SD? Even with wireless-n I have been unable to stream 720p stuff perfectly without stuttering through my D-Link DIR 655. You might consider going through wired if possible.

BrknFngrs
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
^^ Agreed, I've always found wired to be the best if at all possible.

Does anyone happen to know the the limitations of wireless/wired/USB? Could a person reasonably expect to play a blueray ISO over any of these connections? (uncompressed, full 40gig's of w/e)

bspot
12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I'll be tracking down a WDTV Live

nobb
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Does anyone happen to know the the limitations of wireless/wired/USB? Could a person reasonably expect to play a blueray ISO over any of these connections? (uncompressed, full 40gig's of w/e)

In theory, HD stuff should transmit just fine over wireless-n. When I transfer files through wireless, I can get close to 15mb/s which is (in theory once again) enough for streaming high def. However in practice, it never works properly without some sort of minor stutter here and there. I have no idea, but it would be great if anyone knows why.

Crymson
12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Rocketfish just dopped a wirelss HDMI adapter.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/30/rocketfish-wirelesshd-adapter-snips-an-hdmi-cord-for-600/

Also, i think the new popcorn hour (c-200 i thinkg) is wirelss N?

CRXguy
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by bspot
Thanks a lot guys. I'll be tracking down a WDTV Live

not sure how much locally, but i saw on newegg.ca it's 129.99. maybe you can price match.

lint
12-02-2009, 11:30 AM
$140 at MemEx, but they were $125 this past weekend for black friday/cyber monday.

bspot
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I've got someone who gets them at cost. I'm just hoping the wireless N usb adapter I bought works. It was the proper model number but didn't specify what version it was, so we will see...