PDA

View Full Version : Android 2.0

bjstare
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm going to be in the market for a new phone in the next month or so (with Telus), and I'm on the fence as to whether I want to get a HTC Hero with Android 1.6, or wait for the Milestone to come out in Feb-Mar 2010 because its got Android 2.0. I've read that Android 2.0 will run a fair bit faster, and be more responsive than 1.6, but I don't know how much more. Anyone on here have a Hero (or other Android 1.6 phone)? Is it actually that bad, and worth waiting for the Milestone? The features on the two phones are fairly similar, and I've read the camera on the Hero is waaay better than the camera on the Milestone. I've also read that the Milestone display is second to none. What do you think?

GoChris
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
The Hero will have android 2.0 very soon also, actually 2.1 with the Sense UI, the milestone is vanilla android.

ZEDGE
12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Yep, the Hero will be updated to Android 2.0. However I am holding off to check out the Milestone as its a more powerful phone spec wise.

bjstare
12-01-2009, 06:31 PM
So what if I pick up a Hero with 1.6, will I get to update it to 2.0, or do I have to buy a Hero that's been shipped with 2.0? Also, whats Vanilla Android? I haven't found anything on that.

Sorry, I'm new to this and know just about nothing about Android OS.:rolleyes:

2000impreza
12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I have a Telus Hero on the Bell network. The performance is already pretty good. I didn't notice the sluggish UI performance I read about in the reviews with the Euro Hero. Can't wait to upgrade to 2.0 or 2.1 android.

ZEDGE
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
So what if I pick up a Hero with 1.6, will I get to update it to 2.0, or do I have to buy a Hero that's been shipped with 2.0? Also, whats Vanilla Android? I haven't found anything on that.

Sorry, I'm new to this and know just about nothing about Android OS.:rolleyes:

It will likely be up to Telus to provide the update. Or you can do it on your own probably. Vanilla Android is the stock Android operating system. If you have seen a HTC Magic, or Dream, those are stock Android. The Hero has modified version called Sense UI by HTC, same thing they do with their Win Mobile phones. Sense UI is pretty sweet but the Hero seems a bit underpowered. There are other phones that have modified the stock Android also. Sony Ericsson version is called "Rachael" coming on thier new Xperia X3 I believe. Motorola also have something called "Blur" on the Motorola Cliq. If you can I would honestly wait a few months. There are a ton of new Android phones on the horizon. Its actually pretty crazy how many are coming/planned right now.

Here is a good list of current, and coming phones.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/19/android-galore-a-complete-list-of-the-android-phones-and-their-specs-droid-best/

And here.

http://www.wiseandroid.com/NewsItem.aspx?category=News&path=October&itemid=14

Sense UI - HTC's overlay to Android - HTC Hero

vs3RPQqfCrk

Stock Android 1.5 on HTC Magic

5qz4EZpxoys

Stock Android 2.0 - On Motorola Droid

2fm4cdy6TfY

Check out what HTC have done with Win Mobile 6.0.. This phone is a beast, has the new snapdragon processer. I would love an Android version of this.

HTC HD2

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/25/htc-hd2-review/

There are some videos there too.

H7J6CUrm9YI

bjstare
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Well I think you guys helped me make up my mind. I'm probably going to wait the extra few months and see what happens. I really like the Milestone (Droid), but it will be interesting to see what kind of competition it has.

thetransporter
12-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Well I think you guys helped me make up my mind. I'm probably going to wait the extra few months and see what happens. I really like the Milestone (Droid), but it will be interesting to see what kind of competition it has.

i love my driod. its interface doesnt compare to an iphone nor storm.the touch screen is flawless with its keyboard

bjstare
12-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter

i love my driod. its interface doesnt compare to an iphone nor storm.the touch screen is flawless with its keyboard

How is the build quality on the phone? I'm definitely going to wait for it to come out, and hope to get it, but the only thing that would stop me is if it doesn't seem like it will hold up very well (compared to the hero, which has a steel frame/case). Also, I usually just keep my phone in my pants pocket, is this do-able with the droid/milestone? I'm not sure what the dimensions are like with respect to other phones, but i know its a bit bigger.

GoChris
12-04-2009, 11:58 AM

How is the build quality on the phone? I'm definitely going to wait for it to come out, and hope to get it, but the only thing that would stop me is if it doesn't seem like it will hold up very well (compared to the hero, which has a steel frame/case). Also, I usually just keep my phone in my pants pocket, is this do-able with the droid/milestone? I'm not sure what the dimensions are like with respect to other phones, but i know its a bit bigger.

well its bigger than some random phone sure. compared to what? other phones doesn't say much.

it is however, just barely thicker than the iphone, which is impressive considering it has a slide out keyboard.

tr4cti0n
12-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I had the 2.0 eclair rom running on my HTC magic a couple weeks ago and i downgraded back to 1.6 because there were still some bugs on it but the 2.0 is a pretty sweet rom. The android does seem to have a laggy interface. If you wanna wait until feb-march, the sony ericsson x10 is coming out with the snapdragon processor and they fixed the laggy interface as well. The price of that phone will be quite high on launch though

ZEDGE
12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by tr4cti0n
I had the 2.0 eclair rom running on my HTC magic a couple weeks ago and i downgraded back to 1.6 because there were still some bugs on it but the 2.0 is a pretty sweet rom. The android does seem to have a laggy interface. If you wanna wait until feb-march, the sony ericsson x10 is coming out with the snapdragon processor and they fixed the laggy interface as well. The price of that phone will be quite high on launch though

You were running a cracked ROM on the Magic, it will be laggy. Its not optimized for that phone. Also, the Droid/Milestone has a new and faster cpu than the Magic, which is the same as the Hero. The snapdragon will be sweet though. However I really don't like the customized UI on the Sony. It looks nice but doesnt seem very practical.

Some of the new HTC phones for 2010. Bravo uses snapdragon.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/06/htcs-2010-roadmap-goes-on-display/

dragonone
12-07-2009, 04:39 AM
how did u get ur hands on a droid?