PDA

View Full Version : Coworker com to Town - Need Eats

freshprince1
12-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi all, so I have a coworker coming to town all next week to help on a project, he is from Montreal. I spent a week in Montreal a few months back working with him on the same project. I was very impressed with the food and dining out there, and would like to show him that Calgary isn't as bland and boring as everyone thinks, food-wise.

I was wondering if you coul throw out some suggestions for places to take him for lunch throughout the week. I'm planning on being able to expense one lunch, but besides that, the choices would have to be pretty low-cost. With the economy, I cannot expense nearly as much as I used to.

It would be nice to find some in the deep SE, that's where our office is, and where his hotel will be.

I'll probably take him out for dinner once as well, so a cool restaurant for dinner would be nice. I want to avoid chain restaurants.

Here are a couple ideas I have, please add your own:

Lunch:

Ironwood Grill, Inglewood
Spolumbo's, Inglewood
Tubby Dog, 17th Ave
Loungeburger, as posted in this section
Smugglers, MacLeod

Dinner:

Jaqueline Suzanne's - Might be a little nice/exepensive (no offense CM)
Ceasar's - probably too pricey.
The Inn at Lake Bonavista? - Too pricey?

ercchry
12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
that brazilian bbq joint near chinook (north of chinook not the one near smugglers) it is called grutchos or something like that?

lunch takes about 1-2 hours depending on when you go and how much you eat, price is around $25/person for all you can eat

it is really good and different

chengj
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
that brazilian bbq joint near chinook (north of chinook not the one near smugglers) it is called grutchos or something like that?

lunch takes about 1-2 hours depending on when you go and how much you eat, price is around $25/person for all you can eat

it is really good and different

Gaucho http://www.brazilianbbq.ca/

ercchry
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
^^^ thats the one, i ate some much that i didnt even eat dinner that night :drool:

TYMSMNY
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
The one part of Smugglers = Bolero.

Gaucho is on Macleod but closer to downtown.

Btw, Montreal has a VERY good concept just like the two above. Burgers, hot dogs, etc are much better in Montreal. I'd stay away from those places here.

Don't know if he/she likes asian food but it's WAY better here than Montreal... especially Dim Sum.

adidas
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
cant believe u wanna take him to tubby dog, couldnt you pick anything else? I rather take him to wendys lol

GQBalla
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by adidas
cant believe u wanna take him to tubby dog, couldnt you pick anything else? I rather take him to wendys lol

+1 tubby dog has horrible hot dogs

w_man
12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by chengj

Gaucho http://www.brazilianbbq.ca/

This place is fantastic!! I think it's better than Bolero. I would rather do dinner there instead of Lunch. As mentioned above, it can take some time going through all the meats ... it would be a shame to rush through this meal.

freshprince1
12-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by adidas

I like it, you can't beat their Yam Fries...and come on, you haven't lived until you've consumed an Atom-Bomb from Tubby Dog!

The one part of Smugglers = Bolero.

Smugglers! Good work, I forgot about that one. Added to List.

ercchry
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

I like it, you can't beat their Yam Fries...and come on, you haven't lived until you've consumed an Atom-Bomb from Tubby Dog!

tommy burger yam fries?

TYMSMNY
12-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

tommy burger yam fries?

their dipping sauce = :thumbsup:

twodoor
12-02-2009, 09:36 AM
If you want something a little more unique, and can swing a couple hours for lunch, the Longview Steakhouse (in Longview, AB. of course) is a great choice. Bit of a drive, but you're deep south already so it's probably not much more time than driving downtown. The views of the mountains at lunch are great if the weather cooperates, the food is outstanding and quite reasonably priced for lunch. Definitely recommend the steak sandwich, the striploin burger, and the homemade soups.

cooperS
12-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Here are my list:

Tribune
Blink
River Cafe
Le Villa on Signal Hill
Rimrock at the Fairmont Palliser
Raw bar

if he is willing to try things that are different,
take him dim sum at silver dragon
or have bbq duck at Sun's bbq