PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about an incident at a mechanic shop!

Pumppp
12-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Just wanted to get some feedback from the community. I recently went to a mechanic shop and had some work done on my car. They parked the car in front of there little garage which is made out of some kind of aluminum sheet metal. Well they parked the car and left it in first gear without the hand brake up.

So they told me to drive to the back so they can wash off some stuff off my car and i start up the car as i usually would and the car pounces forward and hits the aluminum panel and dents it not majorly dented but somewhat pushed in.

I apologize to the manager and told him that the hand brake wasn't up and he flips out on me and starts yelling at me, saying that i'm accusing him that it was his fault when it was my fault and then he takes the key from my hand and slams it on the counter and says that hes gonna keep my car and call insurance and make me pay for all the damages and that i'm held responsible. I apologize and get my key back and i pay him and leave.

So my question is am i totally at fault?

m10-power
12-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Pumppp
Just wanted to get some feedback from the community. I recently went to a mechanic shop and had some work done on my car. They parked the car in front of there little garage which is made out of some kind of aluminum sheet metal. Well they parked the car and left it in first gear without the hand brake up.

So they told me to drive to the back so they can wash off some stuff off my car and i start up the car as i usually would and the car pounces forward and hits the aluminum panel and dents it not majorly dented but somewhat pushed in.

I apologize to the manager and told him that the hand brake wasn't up and he flips out on me and starts yelling at me, saying that i'm accusing him that it was his fault when it was my fault and then he takes the key from my hand and slams it on the counter and says that hes gonna keep my car and call insurance and make me pay for all the damages and that i'm held responsible. I apologize and get my key back and i pay him and leave.

Yup, you seriously need to ask this question?

Eken9
12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
If you drive manual, would you not 100% always check if the handbrake was up or down? And why would the car pounce forward IF you had put it in neutral???
So basically the car was in gear, you start up the car without checking the hand brake OR if it was in gear and let go of the clutch? Thus causing the car to jump forward?

GoChris
12-01-2009, 11:06 PM

Case closed.

n1zm0
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
sure you're the one at fault, as said if you drive a manual transmission vehicle you should know the procedures and potential risks that accompany it because everyone has different habits on parking a 5spd, you must drive something like an early 90s nissan or have clutch in starting disabled because that's a bad habit I remember falling into with my s13 and old stanza beater, no need for depressing the pedal to start.

2EFNFAST
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
You're at fault.

If I were him I'd be pissed to - yes, you had a stupid moment in a manual at the wrong time - but really, you did hit his building.

Pumppp
12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
When i drive i always park in neutral with handbrake up. So i am used to that. When they parked my car they left it in Gear 1 and did Not put the hand brake Up! Thus when starting the car it jumped forward. I didn't have my foot on the clutch because they moved my seat back so my foot couldn't reach the clutch but also my car was converted from an automatic to a manual so you don't need to put your foot down on the clutch to start it. They told me to move it to the back so i just got in the car and started it then all of a sudden boom it went forward.

They just didn't put the hand brake up! If it was up it wouldn't have moved forward.

The car didn't even stall either it just went forward i dented there panel then i just threw it back in reverse i was so surprised.

Originally posted by Eken9
If you drive manual, would you not 100% always check if the handbrake was up or down? And why would the car pounce forward IF you had put it in neutral???
So basically the car was in gear, you start up the car without checking the hand brake OR if it was in gear and let go of the clutch? Thus causing the car to jump forward?

m10-power
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
When i drive i always park in neutral with handbrake up. So i am used to that. When they parked my car they left it in Gear 1 and did Not put the hand brake Up! Thus when starting the car it jumped forward. I didn't have my foot on the clutch because they moved my seat back so my foot couldn't reach the clutch but also my car was converted from an automatic to a manual so you don't need to put your foot down on the clutch to start it. They told me to move it to the back so i just got in the car and started it then all of a sudden boom it went forward.

They just didn't put the hand brake up! If it was up it wouldn't have moved forward.

The car didn't even stall either it just went forward i dented there panel then i just threw it back in reverse i was so surprised.

:facepalm:

Kloubek
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
When i drive i always park in neutral with handbrake up.

...then you park incorrectly, and it came to bite you on the ass.

Seriously OP, I get what you are saying. They left the car in a state you normally do not, so you feel they are responsible.

But truly, the fact is that if you drive a manual car, you should know everything there is to know about driving one. The fact you were not thinking about it is not their fault. The fact you did not see that the car was in 1st is not their fault.

It sucks, but it is your responsibility.

top_speed
12-01-2009, 11:39 PM

^it didnt stall??? are you sure it was converted to manuall?

m10-power
12-01-2009, 11:47 PM

2EFNFAST
12-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

Not just :facepalm:

but

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Why do I get the feeling the OP is 16 or 17yrs old....

NoMoreG35
12-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Don't you put your right foot on the brake when starting the car?

Tomaz
12-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Tommy's start procedure:

1. Right foot on brake

2. Left foot depressing clutch

3. Shift position -> Neutral

4. Profit

It sucks, but you are responsible for you being behind the wheel.

PS: Your parking habits should change too. What happens when your PARKING BRAKE fails? Read your manual.

GTS4tw
12-02-2009, 02:22 AM

Wow, its just too easy to get a license these days. I don't blame you, I blame the government.

Pumppp
12-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks guys.

Team_Mclaren
12-02-2009, 03:51 AM
blame it on whoever taught you manual, ask his insurance company to pay for all the damages

rp_guy
12-02-2009, 04:54 AM
obviously you guys don't drive manual cars that need to be in reservation mode to be remote started..

scat19
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by rp_guy
obviously you guys don't drive manual cars that need to be in reservation mode to be remote started..

Remote starters aren't made for the car guy driving a 6spd. They are made for girls who hate getting into a cold automatic and afraid a nail will break.

OP - learn how to drive a stick, and if it WAS in first gear with the handbreak up you'd have stalled anyway...

Just like what I saw the other day - A guy was test driving a standard jeep and stalled it no more than three times in concession causing one more traffic light rotation.

Learn how to drive man. I cry when I see cars just bouncing all over the road because someone can't drive them, you'd never know I was driving a standard if you followed me.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I'd freak out at a customer that accused me of crashing a car that he started.

That said, I always leave customers cars in neutral, or a high gear if the e-brake doesnt work.

Mar
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
1. Put your foot on the brake before starting your car.
2. Always leave your car in gear when you turn it off unless you're using the starter.
3. If you're going to leave your car in gear, use reverse, not first. It's a stronger gear.
4. Before you start your car, always put it in neutral.

If the shop had put the handbrake up and it was some woman that never uses the handbrake and she drove all the way home with it on, they'd have other problems so that's probably why they don't do it. The fact you do it differently is not their problem.

Mibz
12-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Mar
3. If you're going to leave your car in gear, use reverse, not first. It's a stronger gear. You leave it in a gear that is going the opposite direction that your car will roll. If your car is face up on a steep hill and you put it in reverse I guarantee gravity will prove that it can turn your crank. Anybody who's push-started a car knows just how easy it is to roll them forward in 1st gear and reverse isn't much different.

If you're on a relatively level surface you assess the situation and choose the least expensive object to run in to. Curbs are high priority, Bentley's are low priority. Simple logic.

Redlyne_mr2
12-02-2009, 11:02 AM
hahaha

JfuckinC
12-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by scat19

Remote starters aren't made for the car guy driving a 6spd. They are made for girls who hate getting into a cold automatic and afraid a nail will break.

are you serious? Only girls can have car starters? Call me a bitch then cause i'd do anything to have a car starter on my truck. Car starters are the bomb, its not about being a girl, its about not wanting to sit in your vehicle while it warms up.
i LOVE car starters.

Mar
12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
You leave it in a gear that is going the opposite direction that your car will roll. If your car is face up on a steep hill and you put it in reverse I guarantee gravity will prove that it can turn your crank. Anybody who's push-started a car knows just how easy it is to roll them forward in 1st gear and reverse isn't much different.

If you're on a relatively level surface you assess the situation and choose the least expensive object to run in to. Curbs are high priority, Bentley's are low priority. Simple logic.
I don't think the crank will go any easier in any direction, I can drive backwards, put the car in first gear and the crank will keep going in reverse just as easily as if I had put the shifter in reverse. It's a stronger gear, regardless of which way it's used to rotating.

hampstor
12-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Trying to find a way to blame someone else when you fuck up. That's how society works nowadays.

Originally posted by JfuckinC

are you serious? Only girls can have car starters? Call me a bitch then cause i'd do anything to have a car starter on my truck. Car starters are the bomb, its not about being a girl, its about not wanting to sit in your vehicle while it warms up.
i LOVE car starters.

Only scat19 would think that scraping an icey windshield is manly. Insert mandatory tinted windshield joke here. :D

I admit it's great on a day it's -40. Warm car, don't have to scrape windshield or any of the windows. I also use it in the summer. +40 day, A/C left on MAX and i don't have to deal with burning hot leather.

DelSoln
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Mar
1. Put your foot on the brake before starting your car.
2. Always leave your car in gear when you turn it off unless you're using the starter.
3. If you're going to leave your car in gear, use reverse, not first. It's a stronger gear.
4. Before you start your car, always put it in neutral.

If the shop had put the handbrake up and it was some woman that never uses the handbrake and she drove all the way home with it on, they'd have other problems so that's probably why they don't do it. The fact you do it differently is not their problem.

For the Op you should put number 1 as "adjust your seat."

UndrgroundRider
12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mar

I don't think the crank will go any easier in any direction, I can drive backwards, put the car in first gear and the crank will keep going in reverse just as easily as if I had put the shifter in reverse. It's a stronger gear, regardless of which way it's used to rotating.

This is mostly true. Reverse is usually a shorter gear than first, so it is "stronger" when used for parking. Only downside is that many cars will not disengage the reverse lockout solenoid/mechanism if the ignition is not on.

Also, the crank turns the same direction, regardless of whether the transmission is in first or reverse. An idler gear in the transmission reverses the rotational direction of the output shaft when reverse is selected.

240_girl
12-08-2009, 02:56 AM
you should not be driving a manual ..

narou
12-08-2009, 03:12 AM
I always put my feet on the clutch and brake before turning the key. Then make sure I work the shifter before removing either of my feet. I usually put the handbrake down at the same time a stomp on the brakes.

Simple I think...

G-ZUS
12-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by narou
I always put my feet on the clutch and brake before turning the key. Then make sure I work the shifter before removing either of my feet. I usually put the handbrake down at the same time a stomp on the brakes.

Simple I think...

:werd: have not had a manual car lurch forward on me since my second time driving one in 2004

scat19
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

i LOVE car starters.

Okay, so your warming up your engine... Your transmission is not warm, your differential is not warm. Letting your car just idle is not good for it in the cold temperatures - you should drive away almost immediately after turning it on and stay at a constant rpms - 1500-2500.

Originally posted by hampstor
Only scat19 would think that scraping an icey windshield is manly. Insert mandatory tinted windshield joke here. :D

:poosie:

huanic
12-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Zero102
12-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

Also, the crank turns the same direction, regardless of whether the transmission is in first or reverse. An idler gear in the transmission reverses the rotational direction of the output shaft when reverse is selected.

So, if you put your car in reverse, then push it forward the crankshaft turns the same direction as if it were in first gear? I think not.

FLARE
12-09-2009, 11:03 AM
OP, yes its your fault...

Everybody else in this thread making fun of him; are you fucking joking me? Your all telling me you've never done this before? OP was just unlucky that he was so close to the door. Man beyond is always going to be full of douches... way to make the guy feel like he should slit his wrists.

exodus989
12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
It is your fault, but it is their problem, and they have to pay for it.

If you were a mature man (which obviously you're not...) you'd pony of the prices of repairing the sheet metal and move on. But because -you- were driving in -their- bay, it's their problem. This is why drive up oil change places make you park your car first, and they move it in.