PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice regarding bill from lawyer

project240
12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
A friend of mine got divorced awhile back. She received a bill last week that she`s not sure about...

So it goes like this; "Amy" went to a lawyer "Bob" to help her with her divorce papers. Amy meets with Bob, provides info and the process is started. She has a couple conversations on the phone and gets to the point where they just need to finalize a few details before all the paperwork is complete.

Amy tries getting in touch with Bob to finalize everything, but Bob will not return any of her calls now? She leaves messages with his secretary constantly and he never calls her back. This goes on for 2 months before she has had enough and goes to find a new lawyer.

New lawyer completes all paperwork in a timely fashion and Bob, still has not yet returned any of her calls. Amy is upset because she went through and had everything 95% complete with Bob, before he drops off the face of the earth.

Fast forward to today, about 15 months later. During the past 15 months she has had no contact with Bob, but received a bill in the mail from him now for a few thousand dollars almost randomly.

Here's why I am pissed off with this... I'm a woodworker/carpenter, If you hire me to build you something and I do an excellent job for 95% but I refuse to finish it, how much would you pay me? Now assume you find someone else for the project and I bill you 15 months later for a project I never completed. The project is useless to you, just as Bob's work was useless to Amy as she had to find someone else to redo everything.

Doesn't seem right to me. What are Amy's options other than pay the bill?

Weapon_R
12-02-2009, 09:16 AM
She can submit the bill to a taxation office, which will hear the argument of both the lawyer and your friend and then make adjustments.

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/CourtServices/TaxationOffice/tabid/109/Default.aspx

TorqueDog
12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
She can submit the bill to a taxation office, which will hear the argument of both the lawyer and your friend and then make adjustments.

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/CourtServices/TaxationOffice/tabid/109/Default.aspx This. Once the judgement is made, it is up to Amy and Bob to both kindly govern themselves accordingly.

project240
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/CourtServices/TaxationOffice/tabid/109/Default.aspx

Should have mentioned this occurred in Saskatchewan, not Alberta, but I'll have a look through this anyways as I would imagine the process is similar.

Weapon_R
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by project240

Should have mentioned this occurred in Saskatchewan, not Alberta, but I'll have a look through this anyways as I would imagine the process is similar.

There should be a similar mechanism in Saskatchewan. Truth be told, taxation officers are heavily biased towards clients and your friend should come out of there with a heavily discounted bill.

scat19
12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
kindly govern themselves accordingly.

Beyond? Lawyers? How'd we know that was coming :rofl:

DayGlow
12-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by project240

Doesn't seem right to me. What are Amy's options other than pay the bill?

not pay the bill?

Masked Bandit
12-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

not pay the bill?

I don't think ignoring an invoice from a lawyer would be a fantastic move. It looks like there is a good method in place to deal with this though.

I hate lawyers......almost as much as insurance guys...:nut: