PDA

View Full Version : $5-7000 budget, need SAFE and RELIABLE vehicle

kawana
12-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Im not super picky here, looks and performance are NOT at the top of my list of requirements. Heres what i do need though:

Safe
Very reliable
decent MPG (i can live with around 15mpg CITY)
seats 4 comfortably (5 in a pinch)
can handle Canadian winters well (will have snow tires)

Now, like i said i dont care about looks or performance so much, but im not gunna drive around in a minivan or some granny vehicle. I just need something that will give me years of trouble free driving (within reason, i know things break...), and can take a hit. So far ive considered the Jeep Cherokees. While they meet most of my requirements, the crash test ratings are scary at best. 1 star side impact rating just doesn't cut it. I appreciate all suggests. Thanks

edit: Oh, and id prefer not to go any older than 1990, unless you know of something that would fit my needs perfectly.

edit 2: And i dont care about FWD, RWD, AWD or 4x4.

Deetz
12-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I would look at a CRV if i were you. It fits all of what you are asking...i used to have one, it was perfect for running around in, and had great traction in the winter :thumbsup:

03ozwhip
12-03-2009, 01:02 AM
in your budget i would look at domestics. an automatic explorer would be decent. dont be afraid, theyre not all bad. however for a little more you could find a late model domestic SUV that will serve yo well. i just got a SMOKING deal on an 03 Olds bravada and i love it, you can have one for about 8-9k right now.

black13
12-03-2009, 01:07 AM
98+ Honda Accord. Super reliable, luxury, comfort and bonus performance if you find a V6 version. Has very very good MPG too espeically with the manual.

kawana
12-03-2009, 01:19 AM
any opinions on the cadillac STS's? Theres alot around here from 92-2000 that are within or below my $5-7000 budget. They get pretty good crash test ratings, 4-5 star for reliability. Its the 300ftlbs of torque that im worried about, in the snow that is. But perhaps with snow tires and chains it will be fine. They look like nice cars too, very nice interiors.

Neil4Speed
12-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by kawana
in the snow that is. But perhaps with snow tires and chains it will be fine. They look like nice cars too, very nice interiors.

They are FWD which is a good plus, also, I would assume, have a "snow" mode, to adjust the amount of gas that is given to reduce wheelspin. My car has that, I would check to see if the Caddy has it as well.

With the Cadillac you are taking a certain hit on reliability though. For that class of car, I would take this even though it is several years older, these machines are bulletproof, This particular one has had all the service done on it recently. http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1998-Lexus-LS-400-MUST-SELL-1st-8000-NEEDS-NOTHING-W0QQAdIdZ158083911

loweg
12-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I got a 99 subaru legacy outback that meets your conditions pretty well.

Wont find much better for winter

bourge73
12-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I would avoid the STS thats for sure the costs on that Northstar engine for repairs are crazy high and the reliability is an issue.
I would look at the Lexus (if you can find one) maybe an Infinity I30 or Nissan Maxima?

kawana
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by bourge73
I would look at the Lexus (if you can find one)

Lexus??? Aren't parts gunna be crazy expensive for a lexus??

Neil4Speed
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM

Lexus??? Aren't parts gunna be crazy expensive for a lexus??

Surprisingly, no! First off, get your work done at an independent shop (not a dealer) for your basic repairs. Unexpected repairs are not common in these cars as long as you maintain them like you would maintain any other car. Things like filters, brakes, and fluids are no more expensive than a Camry if you get your parts online (autopartsway, OEM equivalents). For example, Japanese Made Ceramic Pads for all 4 corners is only about $100, whereas no name pads for a civic were around $80.

Timing belt and water pump are your only expensive maintainace items (which you have to do with most cars) and its only every 100k.

I get my oil changed at Toyota($18 with filter!), and bring my own synthetic oil.

Also, of course, that generation of LS drove superb, quiet, safe, comfortable, powerful and quite the looker. Expect around 21mpg in the city.

Oh and they are safe IIHS gave it its highest rating for front crash tests.

Kloubek
12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
For the price you want to pay, Lexus would be tough to beat. They reigned supreme in quality for some time around those years. And even if the parts are a bit more expensive, they need to be replaced less.

I agree with the 98+ Honda accord, or ANY Honda for that matter. With the accord though, you REALLY need to watch the auto transmission. They are extremely unreliable.

Civic would be good, but might be a bit small. If you are interested, I have a 97 si for under your price range.

CRV is a good call. Like I said, any Honda.

I too would avoid the Caddy. Reliability issues for sure.

In short, don't look at domestics. They have not been on par with import quality until the last couple of years.

Lexus, Toyota, Honda are your best bets I think.

kawana
12-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Surprisingly, no! First off, get your work done at an independent shop (not a dealer) for your basic repairs. Unexpected repairs are not common in these cars as long as you maintain them like you would maintain any other car. Things like filters, brakes, and fluids are no more expensive than a Camry if you get your parts online (autopartsway, OEM equivalents). For example, Japanese Made Ceramic Pads for all 4 corners is only about $100, whereas no name pads for a civic were around $80.

Timing belt and water pump are your only expensive maintainace items (which you have to do with most cars) and its only every 100k.

I get my oil changed at Toyota($18 with filter!), and bring my own synthetic oil.

Also, of course, that generation of LS drove superb, quiet, safe, comfortable, powerful and quite the looker. Expect around 21mpg in the city.

Oh and they are safe IIHS gave it its highest rating for front crash tests.

Huh, i never woulda thunk it :P Thanks for the suggestions guys, ill keep them in mind. Oh, and how is insurance for a lexus? Is it gunna be pretty expensive? Keep in mind im a 22yr old male.

Neil4Speed
12-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Huh, i never woulda thunk it :P Thanks for the suggestions guys, ill keep them in mind. Oh, and how is insurance for a lexus? Is it gunna be pretty expensive? Keep in mind im a 22yr old male.

I am also in the same age group, mine is around $130 a month with a clean abstract.

black300
12-03-2009, 10:30 AM
any opinions on the cadillac STS's? Theres alot around here from 92-2000 that are within or below my $5-7000 budget. They get pretty good crash test ratings, 4-5 star for reliability. Its the 300ftlbs of torque that im worried about, in the snow that is. But perhaps with snow tires and chains it will be fine. They look like nice cars too, very nice interiors.

STS's are great luxury vehicles and are fairly cheap compared to what they cost couple years ago or brand new. However handling sucks due to the big bulky body and it weighs massive, also they are not very relaible something is always wrong with them, my friend had one and it's been in a shop soo many times it's ridiciolus, parts are expensive and hard to find. Otherwise it's not a bad car but reliabilty is a big issue!

punky
12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
my 95 maxima has been the best car i've driven at those year range, so i definite recommend it. Really nice luxury options climate control, nice engine (good power and decent gas milage). Hella cheap to buy because nissan's crappy resale.

KrisYYC
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
If your budget is $5000-$7000 don't waste your time on some clapped out Caddy or Lexus.

Find a good Toyota, Honda, Subaru etc. and you're good to go for years.

Sentry
12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Safe in capital letters eh.

Look for a Volvo. If you can get an 850 with a T5/T5R you'll be golden.

2EFNFAST
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Early 90s volvo - those beasts are TANKS in terms of reliability and safety.

Sure, they look like a box on wheels, but it matches your criteria perfectly.

Sentry
12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I like 850s better but if you don't like boxy, here's an S80 at the upper end of your budget:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Volvo-S80-Luxury-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ170290820

2EFNFAST
12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
I like 850s better but if you don't like boxy, here's an S80 at the upper end of your budget:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Volvo-S80-Luxury-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ170290820

Granted, that does look better, but boxy will mow over him in in the endurance and reliability department :D

All heil the box!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/ImgGalleryTn/57/9157/207_458.jpg

(my dad bought nothing but Volvos from the 70s to the early 90s - absolute tanks - they really went downhill in quality after 95ish I believe)

Neil4Speed
12-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Granted, that does look better, but boxy will mow over him in in the endurance and reliability department :D

All heil the box!

(my dad bought nothing but Volvos from the 70s to the early 90s - absolute tanks - they really went downhill in quality after 95ish I believe)

Its funny, you look at this thing and go "have they heard of aerodynamics in sweden?", but its drag co-efficiant at 0.41 is only slightly worse than the revered Skyline R32 GTR at 0.40.

kawana
12-03-2009, 07:25 PM

I am also in the same age group, mine is around $130 a month with a clean abstract.

woah, thats pretty good... i think you've made up my mind on the lexus'... is there any difference in reliability from the sc300 and sc400? The 400 is the v8 right? and the 300 the v6?

BerserkerCatSplat
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM

Its funny, you look at this thing and go "have they heard of aerodynamics in sweden?", but its drag co-efficiant at 0.41 is only slightly worse than the revered Skyline R32 GTR at 0.40.

Keep in mind that to get the actual air resistance, you have to multiply Cd by frontal area.

gqmw
12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Honestly in my opinion I'd go with a honda or a toyota for your price range over a lexus.

Sugarphreak
12-03-2009, 08:03 PM

canadian_hustla
12-03-2009, 08:04 PM

trust me. don't get one of these. I paid $14,900 for a 2000 Cadillac STS only to sell it one year later for $9,600. The depreciate like crazy and the maintenance is absolutely ridiculous

Tomaz
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I am with the Volvo ppl here! Good bang for your buck. Just be sure that you don't get dooped in a private sale. Happened to me twice in a row.

2.3 Turbo FTW!!!! :burnout: