PDA

View Full Version : Bookers BBQ Grill & Crab Shack

coldmind
12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Anyone been to Bookers BBQ Grill & Crab Shack lately and what's good there now?

flipstah
12-03-2009, 07:10 PM
I wanna try that place but it's so shady and I don't trust those bums.

They're always eyeing me...

nonlinear
12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
it's changed hands a few times in the last several years, and from what i've read on chowhound, it isn't the great anymore :(

2002civic
12-04-2009, 09:01 AM
It was good everytime I went before, but havn't gone in a year or so...

Neil4Speed
12-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I went there last year November, and it was pretty good, gone a little downhill but the food is still great. I would highly encourage people to check it out, great dive. Its slammed for lunch on weekdays though, its the popular corporate lunch spot.

GQBalla
12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
went there just before they closed for renovations or whatever this year.

Went and had their all you can eat crab.

ahahah it was awesome till i started getting sick after eating 5.5 pounds of crab.

my friend had 6.25 or something outrageous

the record is 13.5 pounds or something ahaha

Lucky97
12-04-2009, 09:33 AM
i was just there on monday. they changed the place alot. moved the bar and such and cleaned it up. the menu is different and the crab isnt as good as it was before but its still worth the 38 bucks i would say

300rwhp
12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
i suggest you guys try it out, the vintage group has taken it over. The have the redwaters, rush, vintage chophouse, etc...

I have been got good service decent food nice space and good prices.

nonlinear
12-04-2009, 02:52 PM
just so everyone knows, it was sold to new owners and totally renovated, with a new menu etc. it's basically an entirely different restaurant now, so i would take the "it was good a year ago" recommendations with a grain of salt.

look on chowhound about this.

npham
12-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
i suggest you guys try it out, the vintage group has taken it over. The have the redwaters, rush, vintage chophouse, etc...

I have been got good service decent food nice space and good prices.

Those places are terrible. Not a restaurant to be proud of.

Jonel
12-05-2009, 04:50 AM
my dad's a big seafood buff, always buying some fresh seafood from T&T every week. how's the quality on their AYCE crab on sunday evenings? and is it just pure crab meat with a sauce of your choice or you can try different crab dishes?

300rwhp
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow npham your special. I cant wait to see where you suggest the op go instead.

GQBalla
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Jonel
my dad's a big seafood buff, always buying some fresh seafood from T&T every week. how's the quality on their AYCE crab on sunday evenings? and is it just pure crab meat with a sauce of your choice or you can try different crab dishes?

the AYCE crab is frozen for sure, not fresh

nonlinear
12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

the AYCE crab is frozen for sure, not fresh

nothing wrong with frozen crab, in fact it's oftentimes "fresher" than the alive ones you buy in the store. that's cause they are flash frozen on the boat as soon as they're caught, whereas the live ones stop eating once removed from the high pressure and low temp of the sea bottom, which degrades the meat quality and weakens the shell, etc.

GQBalla
12-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

nothing wrong with frozen crab, in fact it's oftentimes "fresher" than the alive ones you buy in the store. that's cause they are flash frozen on the boat as soon as they're caught, whereas the live ones stop eating once removed from the high pressure and low temp of the sea bottom, which degrades the meat quality and weakens the shell, etc.

sounds good to me, did not know that.

when i went the crab was still amazing.

i just know it was frozen because my friend will break out into hives if its not fresh fresh seafood

core_upt
12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
it's always been the same ownership group, from the start.

aaronck
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
I read a story a while back about all the construction in the area had almost forced it to close-hope it sticks around, cool little restaurant/bar

deee_wreck
12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I went about 2 weeks back for the AYCE , not as good as they use to be (I've been about 4 - 6 times in the past)

The crab seemed a little smaller, some were dry, some were cold!

Bad Batch??

We were a group of 6 , two were children , for the most part we were often left twiddling our thumbs waiting for refills on crab legs and drinks. they did clue in after the third time, and just brought out buckets of Crab each time, versus one piece per person.

The decor is an improvement from before, some new tables, new chairs, but still the dim lighting schematic.

Service 3/5
Food 3/5
Venue 3.5/5

I'll probably go back , where else do you have the option for $38 AYCE crab legs!!

ringer
12-09-2009, 03:39 PM
It's gone to shit ( pardon my french )
I am soooo sad about this.

Use to be my all time favorite restaurant in the city.
Use to get the garbage can platter and 2 side crab legs between the two of us.
Cheap wine, live jazz friday and sat night.

Went on my bday and I was so dissapointed, different fancy menu? more expensive? crab wasn't great at all.

:cry:

89s1
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
Wow npham your special. I cant wait to see where you suggest the op go instead.

You're very quick to offer up a great recommendation then take it personally when someone has a differing opinion.

Sounds like you or someone you know is tied to this restaurant.

89s1
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM

sounds good to me, did not know that.

when i went the crab was still amazing.

i just know it was frozen because my friend will break out into hives if its not fresh fresh seafood

Where is the freshest seafood in landlocked Calgary?

dino_martini
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by npham

Those places are terrible. Not a restaurant to be proud of.

Have you ever been to Red Water?

Its really good actually.

300rwhp
12-10-2009, 10:27 AM
redwater is better than Earls moxies joeys, cactus club and costs the same.

GQBalla
12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

buy directly from TnT and and cook at home

or city fish?

flipstah
12-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Catch is apparently the place to get fresh seafood meals:

Our claim to fame is the best Jet Fresh seafood delivered daily and creatively prepared by our Executive Chef along with a plethora of seafood dishes to satisfy your taste buds. This makes Catch perfect for all seafood lovers out there. Of course, we couldn’t stop there. From tenderloin to crème brulée, each item on our menus is crafted to ensure a delicious journey of flavours. And our wine list is one of the best in the city.

Don't know how true that statement is but their food is good. :thumbsup:

GQBalla
12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
i like goin to embarcedros (sp) for their special oysters :D

rockym20
12-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
it's always been the same ownership group, from the start.

It was originally owned by the guys behind Vintage. They sold it several years ago and recently bought it back and renovated it.

npham
12-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Have you ever been to Red Water?

Its really good actually.

More than I'd like to admit. I'd rather eat at Joey Tomato's. Overpriced, small portions and average service. I'm talking about the at Stadium, I've never been to the other locations, but there are only a few dishes that are different.

flipstah
12-15-2009, 06:30 PM
i like goin to embarcedros (sp) for their special oysters :D

What's so 'special' about them? :)

LLLimit
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

What's so 'special' about them? :)

$0.99 - ~$1.29 for the oyster of the day.

1 Dozen raw oysters + 1 pizza = nice time for me and the ladyfriend

xxxazntigerxx
12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
^^ where is it located

berzina123
12-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

JRSC00LUDE
12-16-2009, 08:50 AM