PDA

View Full Version : Team Canada

Pages : [1] 2

TeamBestBud
12-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Well every sports channel I turn it on to and since the announcement is coming at the end of this month I figured it was time for this thread.

Who do you want on Team Canada?

My list looks something like this:

Nash-Crosby-Iginla(C)
Marleau-Thornton(A)-Heatley
Perry-Getzlaf-Stamkos
Morrow-M. Richards-Carter

Keith-Seabrook
Boumeester-Pronger(A)
Boyle-Regehr
Green

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

tobypaddock
12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no Luongo
:barf:

Love him and he's a pal of mine but Green will not be on the team this year - probably next Olympics tho

TeamBestBud
12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by tobypaddock
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no Luongo
:barf:

Love him and he's a pal of mine but Green will not be on the team this year - probably next Olympics tho

It was a toss up between him and my boy Phaneuf for me...but i was thinking as a 7th defenseman used mostly on the PP....?

rumeo
12-03-2009, 05:40 PM
How are you guys forgetting about neidermayer? He's most likely going to get captaincy too! Fleury is looking like he'll be starter.

...also you guys are forgetting Shea Weber who is likely to be the 7th D over Phaneuf and Green

ryder_23
12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
How are you guys forgetting about neidermayer? He's most likely going to get captaincy too! Fleury is looking like he'll be starter.

My thoughts exactly, hes top of my list for the choice. Goalie factor I won't even try to predict that.

buh_buh
12-03-2009, 07:11 PM
:werd: to no Nieds. If he's on the team, he wears the C.
I hope Brodeur starts, though all 3 candidates have had shaky parts of the season so far.

i don't know about Jeff Carter on the checking line either. I think Doan should be on that right side instead.

tobypaddock
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
i agree with u guys about neidermayer but i do think Iggy will edge him out for the captaincy, but that could just be my homerism too.

I think Brodeur will get the start.

also i think weber will make the team.
fuck its too bad we cant enter 2 teams, the canadian talent is soooo deep now!

TeamBestBud
12-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by rumeo
How are you guys forgetting about neidermayer?

Originally posted by buh_buh
:werd: to no Nieds. If he's on the team, he wears the C.
I hope Brodeur starts, though all 3 candidates have had shaky parts of the season so far.

i don't know about Jeff Carter on the checking line either. I think Doan should be on that right side instead.

I think that all the players who have played well so far should be on the team..Neids is old and you know what bringing old guys on the team that don't perform does for us..(I.E. 1998, 2006)..also Shane Doan over Jeff Carter?

asp integra
12-04-2009, 07:37 AM

an obvious choice, 3 of the top 5 scorers in the league, plus they all know each other and play together!

if they dont make the team as a line i will be very pissed!

Quizzes
12-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud

I think that all the players who have played well so far should be on the team..Neids is old and you know what bringing old guys on the team that don't perform does for us..(I.E. 1998, 2006)..also Shane Doan over Jeff Carter?

Nieds is getting old but, is a proven winner. I'd take him over Boyle anyday.

I second Shane Doan over Jeff Carter... Carter will never be a checking/4th line player. If you have Heatley, you don't need Carter.

syeve
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I hope Phaneuf doesn't make it, he needs an attitide adjustment. I do not feel he is a premiere defenceman...yet. I will stab my eye out of Luongo starts any game. Fleury all the way!

mdeluxe
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
You think Lecav wont make it?

My predictions:

Nash-Crosby-Iginla(C)
Perry-Getzlaf-Stamkos
Morrow-Lecav-M. Richards
Doan

Neder(A)-Pronger
Boumeester-Boyle
Phaneuf-Weber
Green

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

mdeluxe
12-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Predict your team

fantasy.ctvolympics.ca/ctvo/team2010/promo (http://fantasy.ctvolympics.ca/ctvo/team2010/promo)

buh_buh
12-04-2009, 10:47 AM

I think that all the players who have played well so far should be on the team..Neids is old and you know what bringing old guys on the team that don't perform does for us..(I.E. 1998, 2006)..also Shane Doan over Jeff Carter? its called leadership. And yeah, Doan over Jeff Carter on the 4th line. The only way Carter should make the team is if he cracks the top 6.

And I think Lecavalier would make it before Stamkos does, even though Stamkos has had a better year so far.

mdeluxe
12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
its called leadership. And yeah, Doan over Jeff Carter on the 4th line. The only way Carter should make the team is if he cracks the top 6.

And I think Lecavalier would make it before Stamkos does, even though Stamkos has had a better year so far.

I agree. Lecav should be on the team

88CRX
12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
Stamkos - Lecavalier - St.Louis
Morrow - Richards - Doan
Getzlaf

Niedermayer - Pronger
Phaneuf - Bouwmeester
Weber - Boyle
Green

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

First in line for injuriers are:
Perry or Carter for forward
Keith or Regher on defence
Cam Ward in net

Quizzes
12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Richards - Doan
Getzlaf

Niedermayer - Pronger
Phaneuf - Bouwmeester
Weber - Boyle
Green

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Cam Ward in net

Good list...
I'd take Toews over Stamkos; Getzlaf over St. Louis; Keith over Phaneuf and have Eric Staal as part of the taxi squad (yeah, I know Hurricanes suck this year).

88CRX
12-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes

Good list...
I'd take Toews over Stamkos; Getzlaf over St. Louis; Keith over Phaneuf and have Eric Staal as part of the taxi squad (yeah, I know Hurricanes suck this year).

Getzlaf could easily make the team if he picks his play up.... my only issue with him is that he's yet another centerman, which there's no room for. Stlouis is a winger and he has experience.

And yea, Eric Staal is also really tough to leave off the team but again he's another damn centerman.

Easiest solution is for Canada to enter two teams lol.

Quizzes
12-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Getzlaf could easily make the team if he picks his play up.... my only issue with him is that he's yet another centerman, which there's no room for. Stlouis is a winger and he has experience.

And yea, Eric Staal is also really tough to leave off the team but again he's another damn centerman.

Easiest solution is for Canada to enter two teams lol.

LOL... Toews is another centerman also.
It's easier to slot centers to wings than the other way around. It's a good predicament to be in, I guess.

TeamBestBud
12-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I think we should take players that are playing well now over guys like toews and vinny.

95teetee
12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I think we should take players that are playing well now... agree- except in goal, where it should be Brodeur all the way (to start with I mean:D )

Quizzes
12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I think we should take players that are playing well now over guys like toews and vinny.

So... Dustin Penner and Rich Peverley are shoe-ins??

403ep3
12-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't mind penner being on the fourth line but no peverley.

TeamBestBud
12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I mean people are saying toews and doan and neids should make the team when they aren't having the best seasons..we should have the best players RIGHT now playing on the team. You have seen what happens when we put players that aren't playing so well atm on the team..2006...

Quizzes
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
I mean people are saying toews and doan and neids should make the team when they aren't having the best seasons..we should have the best players RIGHT now playing on the team. You have seen what happens when we put players that aren't playing so well atm on the team..2006...

That's what the All-Star game is for. You need balance in a real tournament where gritty players are needed to fill the bottom-6, otherwise, you'll have too many chiefs and not enough indians.

DelSoln
12-06-2009, 10:04 AM

That's what the All-Star game is for. You need balance in a real tournament where gritty players are needed to fill the bottom-6, otherwise, you'll have too many chiefs and not enough indians.

:werd:

Not to mention that since they won't be using international ice surfaces this Olympics the checkers will have more of a chance to shine.

A|pine
12-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Nash - Crosby - Iginla (C)
Heat - Thorton (A) - Marleau
Perry - Getzlaf - Horton
Morrow - Richards - Doan

Neider (A) - Pronger
JayBo - Regehr
Keith - Boyle

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Seabrook
Weber

Carter
Smyth
St Louis

403ep3
12-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Horton:I can't see him makng the team over people with more experience..I hope St Louis makes it

nightfx
12-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by mdeluxe
You think Lecav wont make it?

My predictions:

Nash-Crosby-Iginla(C)
Perry-Getzlaf-Stamkos
Morrow-Lecav-M. Richards
Doan

Neder(A)-Pronger
Boumeester-Boyle
Phaneuf-Weber
Green

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Richards - Doan
Getzlaf

Niedermayer - Pronger
Phaneuf - Bouwmeester
Weber - Boyle
Green

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Cam Ward in net

Keith > Phaneuf > Green

I guarantee he'll be a starter.

R!zz0
12-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Is Iggy going to be wearing the C for sure?

I want to buy his 2010 Jersey but there is no C or A on the Jersey as of yet.

kertejud2
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Is Iggy going to be wearing the C for sure?

It isn't even official that he's on the team, nevermind the captain.

Quizzes
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2

I'm gonna start a riot if Iggy doesn't make the team. ;)

88CRX
12-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2

There most certainly are players that are on the team already lol. You're crazy to think otherwise.

Nash
Crosby
Iginla
Heatley
Thornton
Niedermayer
Pronger
Bouwmeester
Brodeur
Luongo

No question they're all on the team.

95EagleAWD
12-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I would put Penner in place of Horton and get him back with Getzlaf and Perry.

Mibz
12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Live feed is at up at http://www.ctvolympics.ca/team-canada-hockey/index.html

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 11:01 AM
:goflames: :goflames:

95teetee
12-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Stevie Y is the only guy who doesn't look like he's at a funeral:dunno:

calgarys_finest
12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Im watching it on Sportsnet west right now.

Mibz
12-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I've got $100 riding on the Captain and Alternate selection... I'm all giddy.

88CRX
12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Glued to the tv....

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
No surprise with the goalies.

Brodeur
Fleury
Luongo

Mibz
12-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
No surprise with the goalies.

88CRX
12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Bob mckenzie on tsn has been on and on about how Doughty will make it over JayBo. I dunno. Hope JayBo's there.

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Looks like it's Doughty

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Looks like Nieds is captain! Pronger with the A

88CRX
12-30-2009, 11:23 AM
No flames d-men.

95teetee
D-men:
Boyle
Doughty
Keith
Niedermeyer
Pronger
Seabrook
Weber

Weak, imo.
P.S. the alphabetical announcement takes some of the suspense out.

Mibz
FUCK
There goes $100
I can't believe Pronger is a fucking alternate

syeve
12-30-2009, 11:24 AM
garbage

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Damn it, I was hoping Regehr or JayBo. I could've cared less about Dion.

95teetee
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

I can't believe Pronger is a fucking alternate a great big pile of this.

88CRX
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't watch many hawks games but is Seabrook really that good?

I don't really remember him standing out in the playoffs last season.

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Let's hope Princess Heatley doesn't get a diminished role on the team :rofl:

IGGY! :goflames:

DelSoln
12-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't watch many hawks games but is Seabrook really that good?

I don't really remember him standing out in the playoffs last season.

If you select Keith you have to take Seabrook as well. They are arguably the best pairing since Lidstrom and Rafalski.

95teetee
12-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Forwards:
Bergeron
Crosby
Getzlaf
Heatley
Iggy
Marleau
Morrow
Nash
Perry
Richards
Staal
Thornton
Toews

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Bergeron kinda caught me off guard

core_upt
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Bergeron and Morrow???
Serious?

VWEvo
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Awesome team, still completely choked about Bouwmeester

95teetee
12-30-2009, 11:41 AM
here's the problem I have with using NHL players instead of a dedicated Olympic team: it ends up stocked with waaaaay more players I despise than players I can cheer for. Makes me worry that I'll end up cheering for Finland or something lol.

Mibz
12-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I have to assume that they picked Morrow for his leadership and chemistry more than raw skill.

I also have to assume that YZERMAN IS A FUCKING RETARD PRONGER AS A FUCKING ALTERNATE WHAT THE FUCK?

SilverRex
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
only iggy made it to team Canada what the hack

I cant believe none of the Flames D made it, :thumbsdow

Gorilla
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Great Team, Check out the Slovak Team could be the dark horse in the tourney.. Russians and Swede's look awesome too. Cant wait till US is announced.

Cant See Luongo getting much ice time.. when Fluery is much better goalie

88CRX
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
I have no problems with forwards. Morrow is an awesome hockey player. I imagine he's penciled in for the checking line which he's perfect for. Such a tough gritty player. Like Doan but better.

As for Pronger I'm not surprised he's an assistant. He's a beast on the blueline. He just also happens to be the dirtiest players in the league.

S13_Ryan
12-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
only iggy made it to team Canada what the hack

I cant believe none of the Flames D made it, :thumbsdow

well we all knew right from the get go Dion was a scratch but to see Bouwmeester not make the team is downright retarded in my mind, He is by far the smoothest skating D-man in the leauge and is more reliable than most. Chris Pronger may be a beast on the blue line but he is so undisciplined i can see him taking a lot of penalty's for us.:banghead:

Impreza
12-30-2009, 12:05 PM
How the fuck does Bouwmeester not make the team?!?!?

interlude
12-30-2009, 12:05 PM
LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

hoyles
12-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I think the forwards and goalies were the right picks, but Pronger is going to cause trouble. I'd have liked to see Green/Bow in place of Keith/Pronger. Pronger gets into too much penalty trouble and against the firepower that Canada will face this time around, you don't want to be shorthanded. Bow is just as intimidating, can drop you to the ice just as fast, and has an equally dangerous shot, but a much better attitude.

max_boost
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Bergeron kinda caught me off guard

Originally posted by VWEvo
Awesome team, still completely choked about Bouwmeester

Everything else looks fine.

masoncgy
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Pronger? Bergeron?

COME ON!?!

Glad to see Brenden Morrow in the lineup... but where's Brad Richards?

88CRX
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Pronger? Bergeron?

COME ON!?!

Glad to see Brenden Morrow in the lineup... but where's Brad Richards?

Richards? What about Lecavalier! What about Savard?

Brad Richards wasn't even close to making the team IMO.

SOAB
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Lecavalier? what about Stamkos? that kid is playing some awesome hockey right now.

hachiroku
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I also have to assume that YZERMAN IS A FUCKING RETARD PRONGER AS A FUCKING ALTERNATE WHAT THE FUCK?

Not to be an ass, but are you serious? Have you played with Pronger as Yzerman has before. Do you know Pronger personally? You make it sound like it's the worst thing ever. Most of the time a veteran will have influence in the locker room wether or not they are wearing a letter. There are how many NHL team captains on that team, do you think it will make a difference?
GO CANADA GO

88CRX
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
Lecavalier? what about Stamkos? that kid is playing some awesome hockey right now.

I hear you.... I figured they'd both be on the team. The more I think about it the more shocked I am about Vinny.

calgarys_finest
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Especially with the experiance i would take Pronger over alot of people. His penaltys are lower his +/- is really good for minutes he has played and he has a pretty good point production this year. I do know a few people that have played with him in Edmonton and they all say he was great leader in the dressing room.

I like the team young, talented with a mix of veterens. Amazing talent i think we will do very good this year.

hoyles
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Re: Stamkos - he is definitely hot right now, but Team Canada picks are usually the tried, tested and true. Stamkos hasn't proven himself in every situation yet like Iggy or Nash. (Argument: Crosby, Toews, Getslaf, etc. I know their age. But it would be a national uproar to leave Crosby off the roster. As for Toews/Getslaf, they'll take playoff experience and leadership. Stamkos = no playoff experience.)

That's why Neidermayer made Captain. Olympic picks are all about experience in the playoffs and in tournament or previous olympic play.

D'z Nutz
12-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Richards? What about Lecavalier! What about Savard?

Brad Richards wasn't even close to making the team IMO.

Shit, I forgot about Savard. I thought Lecavalier was a sure shot.

DelSoln
12-30-2009, 01:02 PM
You can't have four scoring centers so that makes Lecavalier the odd man out. Both Richards and Bergeron consistently match up against the other team's top lines. As for Stamkos you could make the argument that he is better offensively then Perry but he won't have the chemistry that Perry has with Getzlaf.

dr_jared88
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Am I the only one that is a little upset Heatly is on the team? Don't get me wrong, he can play fantastic hockey but I think he is a terrible representative for our country.

S13_Ryan
12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
Am I the only one that is a little upset Heatly is on the team? Don't get me wrong, he can play fantastic hockey but I think he is a terrible representative for our country.

you must be an Oilers fan

^^JasmineL^^
12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL P-OWNED

beyond_ban
12-30-2009, 01:21 PM

:facepalm:

dr_jared88
12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan

You know I was honestly going to put that in there. That very well be the reason haha. :rofl: All I can say is Canada better do good because the Oilers sure don't have a shot.

Jeremiah
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
UGH

No Vinny or St.Louis?.. very very strange, i don't even know that LA defenceman :S

BerserkerCatSplat
12-30-2009, 01:31 PM
No Bouwmeester? Chris "I love the fucking penalty box" Pronger with the A? Are you serious? :facepalm:

R!zz0
12-30-2009, 01:36 PM
We need Gretzky back in there instead of Yzerman :banghead:

Quizzes
12-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Definitely more disappointments than surprises.
Bergeron? He was nowhere in the radar... got chosen over Savard and many others?
No Bouwmeester? Defense still looks good, but I'd rank him at least top-4 in that lineup.
No Doan? This guy is all heart.

Hopefully, the Flames Big-3 Dman will take this rejection and stick it to them by winning something else. LOL

Mibz
12-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by hachiroku
Most of the time a veteran will have influence in the locker room wether or not they are wearing a letter. Precisely why you want somebody with a good public standing to wear the letter. Let him do his bit in the locker room, I don't doubt he will, but give that last A to somebody known for their positive traits, not a goon.

I'm not trying to take away from what Pronger will bring to the team, but I'll be fucked if I think he deserves a letter on Team Canada.

8Ball
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Calgary boy Heatley is easily one of the best players in the nhl right now.

trieuth
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
No Bouwmeester? Chris "I love the fucking penalty box" Pronger with the A? Are you serious? :facepalm:

bow has 32 pims and pronger has 49. You guys are making it seem like he has 150 PIMs already. Pronger is still one of the best defensemen in this league.

trieuth
12-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by hoyles
Re: Stamkos - he is definitely hot right now, but Team Canada picks are usually the tried, tested and true. Stamkos hasn't proven himself in every situation yet like Iggy or Nash. (Argument: Crosby, Toews, Getslaf, etc. I know their age. But it would be a national uproar to leave Crosby off the roster. As for Toews/Getslaf, they'll take playoff experience and leadership. Stamkos = no playoff experience.)

not to mention that crosby and getzlaf both have stanley cup rings.

SilverGS
12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
I am surprised Staal made it over St Louis or Lecavalier.

Kind of figured no Flames Dman would make it. They have not had a great december. If the selection was made November 30th instead there would be at least 1-2 but as it is the last 10 games has not looked good for any of them.

r3ccOs
12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Definitely more disappointments than surprises.
Bergeron? He was nowhere in the radar... got chosen over Savard and many others?
No Bouwmeester? Defense still looks good, but I'd rank him at least top-4 in that lineup.
No Doan? This guy is all heart.

Hopefully, the Flames Big-3 Dman will take this rejection and stick it to them by winning something else. LOL

They need to reconcider Doan & Bouwmeester, definately...

I think that though there are the likes of Nedeir, Pronger and Iggy, but I think that the team is still missing some notable and more senior others with more international experience.

Then again, for the likes of Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, and Toews, playing together on international ice isn't that foreign for them.

r3ccOs
12-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 8Ball

Calgary boy Heatley is easily one of the best players in the nhl right now.

Regardless of his past/personal choices... he's a phenominal talent

Out of the big men of hockey, I don't know of one with better hands and pace... including Getzlaf and Nash

When he crashes towards net, it takes alot to keep a puck out of it.

trieuth
12-30-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm pretty sure 2010 is going to be played on NHL sized ice, not international.

beyond_ban
12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by trieuth
I'm pretty sure 2010 is going to be played on NHL sized ice, not international.

You sir are correct. The last time team Canada played on NHL sized ice in the Olympics, we won.

r3ccOs
12-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

You sir are correct. The last time team Canada played on NHL sized ice in the Olympics, we won.

didn't realize that... well
I'd say its not even that we're tipped to win this contest, its an expectation :)

Personally, I think the NHL should move to international ice.

8Ball
12-30-2009, 02:34 PM
"Probably going to get in trouble for this, but they can go f--- themselves." - Canucks right winger Mikael Samuelsson telling the Team Sweden brass what he thinks of being excluded from the team's Olympic roster.

8Ball
12-30-2009, 02:35 PM
and from the hockey news;

"And if there's anyone out there who can figure out exactly what the Czechs were thinking when they put their roster together, we'd love to hear from you."

max_boost
12-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Is there a taxi squad for injuries?

r3ccOs
12-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Sweden "I" think is the other team to beat, as they will basically be the 06' Gold winning team w/o Sundin & Forsberg

Still very very strong