PDA

View Full Version : Deferral of Final Exam due to conflict with lecture

vinc456
12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Is it possible to defer a final exam due to conflict with a lecture? I spoke with my professor; he suggested I skip the lecture if possible or visit the associate dean. The calendar doesn't say anything about this so I'm guessing I'm not eligible for a deferral, but if anybody has gone through a similar situation please share your experience.

colt22
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
skip the lecture pussay

jsn
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd skip the lecture, rather than dealing with the hassle. In many cases, the deferred examinations are harder than the original ones (or so I've been told).

2Valve0
12-04-2009, 09:33 PM
So your missing a lecture and expect to have your final exam differed? your f*cking kidding me right?

badatusrnames
12-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Technically, according to the university calendar, scheduled classes take precedence over exams or any other out of lecture activities.

That being said, the hassle of having to write the deferred likely isn't worth it.

dandia89
12-04-2009, 10:29 PM
i remember my linear algebra prof was telling me that university rules state you have to have an exam at least one day after classes have ended. not sure if it's true, but it's such a bitch to have an exam so early

tobslau
12-05-2009, 12:00 AM
The Dean of the faculty writes the deferred exams, so as Jsn mentioned, the difficulty of the test is expected to be higher.

Out of curiosity, what course has lectures past the scheduled lecture period or rather what course has lectures during the final exam period?

I really hope don't say that this is a review session "lecture"

r0g3r
12-05-2009, 01:50 AM
deferred finals are not necessarily harder

I think they say that just to put fear into you and from keeping people from deferring their finals for stupid reasons

however, it is troublesome cuz you'll end up spending ur witner break reading and shit lol

you're better off skipping the lecture

turbotrip
12-05-2009, 01:58 AM
deferred exams are not usually harder like most people seem to believe. I wrote a hell of a lot of deffered finals and most of them were the same exact final with slight variations, a few of them were partly changed, and only 1 or 2 of them were completely different

vinc456
12-05-2009, 02:00 AM
The final is for a web-based session of ASTRO 209. The exam is this Saturday but I'm also taking a course on the weekend which runs from 9-5.

Dr_Funk
12-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
deferred exams are not usually harder like most people seem to believe. I wrote a hell of a lot of deffered finals and most of them were the same exact final with slight variations, a few of them were partly changed, and only 1 or 2 of them were completely different

This is true. Most of the profs are too lazy to write another exam so the most they will do is switch the questions around (if its M/C) or change a number or two. The majority will just give you the exact same exam. That saves them time writing a new exam as well as creating a new answer key and such..

Only a few profs are keen/anal enough to create a completely different and harder exam to screw you over...

r0g3r
12-08-2009, 10:50 PM
do any of you know what the deal is with the flu thing? Apparently if you get the flu or "flu like symptoms" you can defer...without a doctors note.

Will they actually let people defer or just be like no fuck you? lol

princeaidin
12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
They will let you defer, but you'd have to defer ALL of them or if they're split up a good chunk of them.

Listen, skip the class write the exam, plus isn't weekend university end before regular university.

Going to lectures is for people that are weak sauce and need "reassurance" that they're learning.