PDA

View Full Version : looking for a fun car for around $8000

shawnyboy
12-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I know yall are probably sick of these threads, but i need help. There are just too many cars out there, i dont know where to start. My budget is roughly $8000, but ideally id like to keep it around $7000 to leave myself some cash for repairs. Anyways, onto my requirements:

1. reliable/cheap parts
2. fun to drive
3. seats 4-5
4. room to upgrade performance wise
6. safe
7. looks nice
Id like for it to be rwd if possible, and id like manual over automatic (but im not picky on that). I appreciate any suggestions you guys can give. MPG isn't at the top of my list of requirements. I can live with 20mpg combined. I just want something that will not need constant repairs.
I was thinking about a miata, but they dont seem very safe. You'd be pretty screwed in a rollover

i can compromise on some of these, but the ones i cant do without are: reliable, seats 4, and safe.

jsn
12-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if there are very many fully loaded (leather + sunroof) RWD cars that seat 4-5 people that will fall inside your budget. You'll probably have to come up with some compromises somewhere or lower your expectations abit. Are you looking for import or domestic? A few off the top of my head if you're thinking of imports would be 240sx, skylines, 300zx. But even those might be hard to find with all the options you want, and you'll have to shop around to find one that will be reliable. Or maybe some older 3 series, but those will not be cheap to maintain.

shawnyboy
12-04-2009, 10:03 PM
ya, you're right. ill revise my list a bit. i can do without the luxury interior. I should say, i want a quality interior. not cheap plastic.

03ozwhip
12-04-2009, 10:34 PM
look no further! (shamless plug :nut: )
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/274708/fs-ft-88-monte-carlo-ss-lowrider/

EDIT: fits 5 comfortably and you can still pack the trunk full of shit!

soloracer
12-05-2009, 01:06 AM
You considered a Miata and you have a 4-5 passenger requirement? Planning on the chicks riding on you and your homeboy's lap? Then again, it is a Miata......perhaps they'll be driving ;)

I'm considering an Audi S4 myself. It might meet your criteria. A friend just bought a stock one for $7000 and he has had good luck with it.

Kloubek
12-05-2009, 01:13 AM
An S4 would meet all his criteria... except for the cheap parts.

I think there are plenty of cars that would meet the OP's criteria.

SC400's, Supra turbo (could get a mint one for 8g), talon tsi/elipse, z28/trans am (not super reliable, but cheap parts), Prelude, there are many more.

As far as safety is concerned - all cars meet minimum standards. If you want a bit more, then make sure it has ABS, dual airbags, and maybe some sort of traction control.

I'm not sure if a Miata is really THAT bad in crashes or not. But they are super reliable. Super gay, but super reliable.

SRT10Killer
12-05-2009, 01:24 AM
I don't know if you can find a "GOOD" S4 for 7-8k

a few cars come to mind to meet your criteria :

91-95 soarer or an aristo , I'd say top 2 most reliable imports at the moment, maintenance/performance parts are easily acquired (will share if interested) luxuries, very fast, both look nice, however no airbags in these versions. This is if your okay with RHD

you might be able to get a 98-02 turbod golf for around 8k or just jump on the bandwagon and get a s13 :), can't think of anything LHD for your 8k budget/criteria

narou
12-05-2009, 01:25 AM
The Preludes may have more than two seats, but I wouldn't dare try using them for anything but fast food and kinky sex.

shawnyboy
12-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer
I don't know if you can find a "GOOD" S4 for 7-8k

a few cars come to mind to meet your criteria :

91-95 soarer or an aristo , I'd say top 2 most reliable imports at the moment, maintenance/performance parts are easily acquired (will share if interested) luxuries, very fast, both look nice, however no airbags in these versions. This is if your okay with RHD

Ive never heard of a soarer before, but according to wikipedia, they are the same as the lexus sc series right? Aren't parts going to be like really expensive? And with it being an import, that cant help the cost of parts... They sure do look sleek though

black13
12-05-2009, 01:46 AM
The Soarer/Aristo are good choices, luxury, fun, fast, look sleek and cheap. But some parts might not be as common but if its maintained well then you don't need to worry about that.

If you don't mind getting FWD, then a great choice would be 98+ Accord. Reliable, better on gas.

narou
12-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Many parts for imports really aren't that hard to track down anymore. If the car really needs something you cant find that is matched with a different domestic model car then why buy it? There are plenty of RHD fish in the sea to be passed around.

Most parts that I have changed in my R33 have been found fairly easy, I go a bit nuts though with maintenance I think though.

shawnyboy
12-05-2009, 01:56 AM
So even though the lexus sc400 is the same as the soarer, are parts going to be more expensive for the lexus version? Or can parts be swapped between the 2 of them? Should i try to go for the toyota version over the lexus if i can find one?

narou
12-05-2009, 02:02 AM
I dont know about that model but I know with my ECR33 Skyline GTS25-T many parts are compatible from other Nissan models. I think it should be similar for the Toyota other than parts that are on opposite sides of the engine bay ex; Master Cylinder. I don't know why you would need one of those in a car that you have checked out to be in acceptable shape thought.. Personally if I could I would want this car in a Domestic build LHD format to save some hassle. But in your case I think the SC400 are kinda rare and most owners wont want to let them go.

shawnyboy
12-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by narou
I dont know about that model but I know with my ECR33 Skyline GTS25-T many parts are compatible from other Nissan models. I think it should be similar for the Toyota other than parts that are on opposite sides of the engine bay ex; Master Cylinder. I don't know why you would need one of those in a car that you have checked out to be in acceptable shape thought.. Personally if I could I would want this car in a Domestic build LHD format to save some hassle. But in your case I think the SC400 are kinda rare and most owners wont want to let them go.

actually i seem to see more of the sc400's than the soarers in the few searches ive done. I cant find any of the sc300's though, well there are a few but they are EXPENSIVE! I cant see any difference between them though, cept i think the 300's are v6's, and the 400's are v8? Why are the v6's more expensive?

01RedDX
12-05-2009, 02:13 AM

narou
12-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by shawnyboy

actually i seem to see more of the sc400's than the soarers in the few searches ive done. I cant find any of the sc300's though, well there are a few but they are EXPENSIVE! I cant see any difference between them though, cept i think the 300's are v6's, and the 400's are v8? Why are the v6's more expensive?

Oh really I have only ever seen one SC

igotacookie
12-05-2009, 02:47 AM
u could get a cobalt SS, which would be the best use of that kind of money IMO (FWD but still fun)

I dunno man your requirements are so generic, only you can pick something that catches your eye. If this if ur first car... then I recommend you spend half that amount of money on a beater and learn to drive first haha.

SRT10Killer
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by shawnyboy

Ive never heard of a soarer before, but according to wikipedia, they are the same as the lexus sc series right? Aren't parts going to be like really expensive? And with it being an import, that cant help the cost of parts... They sure do look sleek though

it's the same body but much better engine, soarer is a 2.5L twin turbo and aristo is a 3L twin turbo

maintenance parts are cheap, body parts can be acquired cheap straight from Japan through importers. I personally did not have to do anything to my soarer in the 2.5 years that I had it except oil/oil filter changes

SRT10Killer
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by igotacookie
u could get a cobalt SS, which would be the best use of that kind of money IMO (FWD but still fun)

I dunno man your requirements are so generic, only you can pick something that catches your eye. If this if ur first car... then I recommend you spend half that amount of money on a beater and learn to drive first haha.

+1 if this is your first car,

I'm not sure if you can get an SS model for 7-8k though it's a cast car + handles well, not sure about reliability

Just noticed you are in b.c

Check out tyeeimports.com he has some of the best stis that i've seen for 8k

igotacookie
12-06-2009, 12:46 PM
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2007-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ172781351

9k... would not be unrealistic to try and get a grand off. Still under warranty, and you will have a blast ripping around. I've been in the 1st gens and they are not bad at all.

Some people don't like the whole domestic/chevy make but that doesn't appear on your list of requirements. Personally, I think they look nice with some aftermarket rims.

FiveFreshFish
12-06-2009, 02:11 PM
VW GTI, either with a VR6 or 1.8T.

SRT10Killer
12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by igotacookie
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2007-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ172781351

9k... would not be unrealistic to try and get a grand off. Still under warranty, and you will have a blast ripping around. I've been in the 1st gens and they are not bad at all.

Some people don't like the whole domestic/chevy make but that doesn't appear on your list of requirements. Personally, I think they look nice with some aftermarket rims.

damn, that's decent even for 9k, thought they were more expensive

gqmw
12-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer

+1 if this is your first car,

I'm not sure if you can get an SS model for 7-8k though it's a cast car + handles well, not sure about reliability

Just noticed you are in b.c

Check out tyeeimports.com he has some of the best stis that i've seen for 8k

:werd:

I would've posted some cars I saw on autotrader earlier today if I didn't read the part about B.C. But honestly, for your price range I'd go with a sc400, aristo, etc.

But first car, for sure I'd just go for a beater half the price, IMO not worth to shell out that extra cash for something more luxurious.

igotacookie
12-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Mind you the 06-07 cobalt SS were not supercharged or turbocharged...

huanic
12-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

SScott
12-09-2009, 01:43 AM
^^

WTF?

anyways

take a look at my audi

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259579

a bit more than you want to spend, but pm me if you're interested

core_upt
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I have a slight bias, but my Sentra SE-R Spec V sounds like it matches most of your criteria - most are selling for $7-9000.

msommers
12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
A cheap/reliable sedan that is RWD...does. not. compute.