PDA

View Full Version : Beer?

st184
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
So, it's my girlfriends grandfathers birthday today. He is German and always drinking really interesting imported beers, none of which I can remember the names of. My question to the beer experts on beyond is: If you were to get a beer enthusiast something for his birthday, what would you get and where would you get it?

Thanks for all input beyond, I know you wont let me down!

4lti
12-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I actually think theres a really good thread of favorite beers on beyond.

Just change the search settings to 1year and older or something and arrange by titles and you should find it.

garyb
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
head down to bin905, as the dudes there, they know their burrs

kertejud2
12-05-2009, 04:53 PM
If you're in the North, go to the Dalhousie Co-Op. (Seriously)

If you live in the centre of town, go to the Kensington Wine Market. (I wasn't blown away the last time I was in Bin905 but maybe I should give them another chance since they'd be the closest to me).

If you're in the south, go to Willow Park.

Those three are leaps and bounds ahead of the others, if you can't find what you're looking for there, you're not going to find it.

EDIT: As for what I'd get them, beer enthusiasts are always looking for something new (and a good beer enthusiast is always willing to try something new, so you really can't go wrong). There should be a whole bunch of seasonal winter ales out now worth checking out, but otherwise there are ample amounts of choices, you could pick the one with the coolest label or funniest name at it wouldn't go unappreciated.

2nd EDIT: I'd recommend getting some half-litre bottles from different brewers (or different beers from the same brewer). Selector packs are great but they seem kind of lazy to give as a Christmas gift. It would be much more meaningful if you handpicked various bottles.
And most of the half-litre bottle you'll see will be from American brewers but don't let that scare you, their macro-brews may be shit but they can craft brew damn well.

st184
12-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Ill try willow park. Thanks for the input guys.

MrPlow1
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Get him a bottle of Big Bear and a 6er of TNT. Screams class.

dino_martini
12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by MrPlow1
Get him a bottle of Big Bear and a 6er of TNT. Screams class.

No no, you have to get 6 Beer Beer's. I swear you will trip out on Beer Beer. I don't know whats in it...but its 'Interesting' to say the least lol :rofl:

5000Audi
12-06-2009, 11:21 PM
just buy him a case of Pil, any german will drink it lol.. i love that stuff... mmmmm

Seanith
12-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Get him a nice Bavarian Dunkel yo!

kertejud2
12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Seanith
Get him a nice Bavarian Dunkel yo!

Wild Rose made a damn good Dunkelweisse. They only have the party pigs left at the brewery but you might get lucky at some of the stores and find some of the .5L pop top bottles.

iceburns288
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
If you can find the Hofbraeu in North America, you'll be a king.

Do you know which part of Germany he's from? That is, if you plan on giving him his gift late... :p

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Not German, but Innis & Gunn is a nice treat on occasion. Good stuff!

http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.htm

Yum!

Feruk
12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Lowenbrow. Fantastic German beer and you can get it in 6 pack at almost any liquor store.

kertejud2
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Not German, but Innis & Gunn is a nice treat on occasion. Good stuff!

http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.htm

Yum!

Definitely a treat, few can stomach (or afford) it as a feature in their beer fridge.

But definitely a great one. Got a couple "reserve" bottles for Christmas last year (the same as the regular stuff, but more alcohol).

DJ_NAV
12-09-2009, 12:51 AM
go to the few pubs in town that have a great selection of imported beers.. and then u can both down em and talk about it. there is a place with the passport kind of deal.. can't remember the name

Seanith
12-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
go to the few pubs in town that have a great selection of imported beers.. and then u can both down em and talk about it. there is a place with the passport kind of deal.. can't remember the name

I think bottlescrew bills has that beer passport if i'm not mistaken?

JRSC00LUDE
12-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2
But definitely a great one. Got a couple "reserve" bottles for Christmas last year (the same as the regular stuff, but more alcohol).

Be mindful of the best before date if they aren't long gone! :)

Tik-Tok
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

No no, you have to get 6 Beer Beer's. I swear you will trip out on Beer Beer. I don't know whats in it...but its 'Interesting' to say the least lol :rofl:

They still make Beer beer? Haven't seen that around in a decade :rofl:

Impreza
12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I like Affligem beers, all award winning. I think Kensington wine market was selling a variety pack of 4 with an Affligem glass.

dino_martini
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

I think bottlescrew bills has that beer passport if i'm not mistaken?

Yeah Bottlescrew Bills on 10th ave and 1st street SW has the Around the world in 80 beers.

kertejud2
12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Be mindful of the best before date if they aren't long gone! :)

Oh those hardly made it through Christmas morning :D

legendboy
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Unibroue variety 12 pack