PDA

View Full Version : what do you cats think of Dairy Queen food?

nonlinear
12-05-2009, 06:08 PM
hey, so i haven't had food from DQ since the early 1990s (it was my first job so I ate it all the time :D ), but saw the pictures on the signs in there a few weeks ago when we were getting blizzards and decided to give it a try for lunch today.

i got the 1/4 lb. flame thrower combo, and i'm still trying to decide if I liked it or not. All of the ingredients and everything seemed really high quality - the bacon, the leaf lettuce, etc. etc. etc. - however the burger tasted burnt but when I looked it totally wasn't. that was weird cause I don't know how you get that flavour without burning the meat. Also, the fries tasted really funky/burnt too... maybe because they haven't changed their fryer oil in 309845902384 years?

Anyhow, does their food always taste like that, or was it maybe the location that I was at? this was the heritage and elbow location, BTW.

Also, I thought the price was REALLY expensive for fast food. It came to $18 for two burger combos.... and they weren't upsized or anything cause we're not fucking fatasses haha. actually, they do give you a shitload of fries/rings and neither of us could finish all of our food.

I also noticed that their chicken strip basket comes with brown gravy :thumbsdow when i worked there, it came with white gravy and texas toast, and was fucking awesome. that was in the states though, so i don't know if they still make it that was there or not.

SScott
12-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Their food is over priced, and tastes like ass, nothing new. Go to dairy queen for the overpriced icecream not food

Brutucus
12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Depends on the location, some place its awesome and some places their skimpy as hell. But I notice at one location they cook the burger for a bit and then nuke it in the microwave :thumbsdow

nonlinear
12-05-2009, 06:20 PM
they must do things way different in canada than in the states, cause when I worked there is was actually pretty good. i worked the grill and everything was made fresh to order, etc. i mean we would cook burgers from frozen when ordered. maybe it was just our location?

we used to make ourselves "pickle burgers," which had a bun, about 3/4" layer of pickles, a single burger patty, another 3/4" layer of pickles, mayo, and the top bun. it was FUCKING AWESOME hahah :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

schocker
12-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I dont get food there too often. When I do the burgers arnt bad but are expensive and not as good as other places, but their ice cream is excellent.

5000Audi
12-05-2009, 07:03 PM
59 cent hamburgers every other friday at the one on glenmore and barlow :drool:

oh and DQ rocks.. i love their food

Kloubek
12-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Well, I can sum it up by slightly changing your post title:

Q: What do youR cats think of Dairy Queen food?
A: Fit for animals, but not for humans.

89s1
12-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Well, I can sum it up by slightly changing your post title:

Q: What do youR cats think of Dairy Queen food?
A: Fit for animals, but not for humans.

You could answer the question the same way without adding the R. :D

J/K. I think the food is ok, but yeah a bit overpriced. If I wanted an expensive fast food burger I'd go to A&W.

adidas
12-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I dont mind getting their food every few months.

I always get the entire burger pipping hot. They put it into the microwave with all the ingredients including the bun and it just makes u think when the burger was actually cooked.

Meh, i guess all those places are just as shady.

Thaco
12-05-2009, 08:16 PM
i really enjoy their club sammiches and poutine... don't much care for the burgers and other stuff.

JRSC00LUDE
12-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I think they have the best cheeseburgers in all of fast food.

swak
12-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Theres a reason theres never a line up at the DQ at MRC. :guns:

Brutucus
12-05-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah MRU has the worst DQ ever, they are the most skimpy place ever and for some reason there pop seem to have like 10 x the caffeine in it.

Kritafo
12-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I actually love their hamburgers always have. Not anything with cheese just their .99 cent burgers get a small onion ring and throw that on the burger..yummm. Very cheap meal on occasion and while on the run. However I won't touch ice cream just the burger and onion rings. They once upon a time had good chili dogs but then I got spoiled with Coney Island dogs.

95teetee
12-05-2009, 09:23 PM
the best fast-food-chain burger I've ever had was from the DQ here in Drumheller- a double bacon cheeseburger that for some reason ended up absolutely incredible:drool:

but usually they're ok- I was getting the chicken flamethrower for a period (also very good) but the last few have lacked the 'flamethrower' part, so I haven't had one for a while.
Love their onion rings though.

prae
12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
thread fail. I expected to see pics of nonlinear feeding his flamethrower burger to his cats. I am dissapoint.

nonlinear
12-05-2009, 10:02 PM
http://i.pbase.com/u32/minoltaman/upload/22237988.DairyQueenKitty.jpg

xxxazntigerxx
12-05-2009, 10:13 PM
99 cent burger cant loose on that lol

dino_martini
12-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Go to the DQ Grill N Chill in Deerfoot Meadows. That is the best DQ in Calgary.

The DQ at MRU...fuck that place sucks.

Numi
12-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Fries, onion rings and poutine are bomb at the madigan plaza location and they give you allot of fries and rings.

Tik-Tok
12-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I like their Flamethrower burger on occasion. That's about it. Even their icemilk sucks ass. It's not even real ice cream.

To answer the question though, if they burnt something else, and hadn't swept that grease off yet, it would make your burger taste burnt.

msommers
12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Not by choice, we ended up having DQ on the way to a buddy's place. Wow, I didn't know you could fuck up chicken fingers but they did! Ruined my once a month fast food experience!

HyperZell
12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Mushroom Swiss Melt is delicious, but yes, slightly overpriced for everything.

snoop101
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
They were much better 15 years ago. I think a lot has changed. Mcdicks though hasent changed much at all, the burgers are still exactly the same. Not the best, but you can't eat AAA Alberta steaks everyday.

masoncgy
12-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I worked at a DQ in BC for 6 years... started at age 14 working the counter, quit at age 20 when I was running the place... it was one of the best jobs I've ever had... fun place to work, for sure!

DQs are one of those 'hit & miss' kind of franchise restaurants, where one owner will run it to DQ standards and others will do it their way as much as they can and skimp out on the ingredients & quantity, resulting in overpriced/low quality products.

For the record, ice milk is very expensive and so are the machines coolers & freezers required to maintain the product. I was shocked at how much it cost us to bring in dozen-plus crates of ice milk back in the late 1990s, I can only imagine how much it has been marked up since.

Food wise, the biggest complaint about DQ I have is the lack of a grill in the kitchen. We used to use a chain broiler to cook the burgers (they still do) and then we'd toss them on the grill to keep them hot while the buns were prepared. It also was a good way to ensure the meat was cooked right through without losing taste or increasing the temperature of the other ingredients to scorching hot from those microwaves they 'cure' the burgers in now... I liked the old way of doing it!

Man... now I'm craving a flame thrower... that's my favorite burger... something we didn't sell back in the day! Ultimate burgers are still awesome too!

beyond_ban
12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Now that you mention it, im going to hit up 99c burgers in 27 minutes :thumbsup:

Sil80_D
12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I agree. always get em' with the 4 for 6 combo!

prae
12-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
http://i.pbase.com/u32/minoltaman/upload/22237988.DairyQueenKitty.jpg

haha! thread saved.

FiveFreshFish
12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Sil80_D

I agree. always get em' with the 4 for 6 combo!

http://smartcanucks.ca/dairy-queen-dq-canada-sweet-deals/

Choose from 9 delicious food and treats including:

* cheeseburger
* hot dog
* chicken wrap
* regular French fries
* onion rings
* side salad
* medium drink
* small sundae
* small soft cone

Any:

* 2 for $4
* 3 for $5
* 4 for $6

nonlinear
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM
i've never had the 4 for $6, but I have to say I've been tempted every time i'm in there.

that's 6561 possible permutations! just think of the possibilities!

we should have a contest to come up with the ideal or best value for 4 for $6 combo. what do you guys think? what about a cheeseburer, hot dog, regular french fries, and medium drink? Or, is it a better deal to just get 4 cheeseburgers?

hahaha :nut:

FiveFreshFish
12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
^^^ The chicken wrap is good. Kind of small but as expected for $1.50.

nykz
12-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Choose from 9 delicious food and treats including:

* cheeseburger
* hot dog
* chicken wrap
* regular French fries
* onion rings
* side salad
* medium drink
* small sundae
* small soft cone

Any:

* 2 for $4
* 3 for $5
* 4 for $6

I'd have to say out of all those options, the cheeseburger is by far the best, followed with onion rings. The hot dog.. is very boring and plain, and the chicken wrap is always warm. McDonald's has better chicken wrap's IMO.

nonlinear
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
^^i wonder what of those items is most expensive on the menu. cause i would just get 4 or them for $6. :bigpimp:

i love it when i can save like $0.20 hahaha

Disoblige
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
DQ onion rings are disgusting! A&W is where it's at.

B18C
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
The Ultimate burger is my favorite burger. Their food is overpriced though so I don't go there much.

Meback
12-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Brutucus
Depends on the location, some place its awesome and some places their skimpy as hell. But I notice at one location they cook the burger for a bit and then nuke it in the microwave :thumbsdow

Lol fuck i use to work at DQ for, it was my first job too, and it aint a microwave, its called their hot shot system.

The food is extreamely overpriced. I remembered when sundaes were 3 bucks for a large. Now those were the days, a hotfudge marshmellow sundae!!

I really like their quater pounder mushroom swiss burger (i think thats what its called), but that burger was hella good.

flames4lyfe
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
why are you eating at dairy queen. u should be eating at high class places w good service. and with take out so you can eat behind the wheel driving

nonlinear
12-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by flames4lyfe
why are you eating at dairy queen. u should be eating at high class places w good service. and with take out so you can eat behind the wheel driving

DJ Lazy
12-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

+1... and I love their onion rings. I usually only hit up the Douglasglen DQ or the one by Crowfoot...

However I can never come out of there without spending $10-12... so I don't eat there much.. :dunno:

Feruk
12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I once got a hot dog there. Turned it sideways and saw grease POUR out of it. Never again.

seany99119
12-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm assistant manager at braeside (southland drive location) and am completely open to any questions and suggestions you may have. As for high prices yes its due to high operating cost but as i do notice our food is quite filling opposed to the grease lathered fast food resturants (mc'ds, A&W, etc..) even though i do enjoy them once in a while i just dont feel the same satisfaction as our food.

nonlinear
12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
advice: white gravy and texas toast with the chicken strip basket :thumbsup: although i understand that's out of your control :p

http://foodbeast.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/dq-chicken-strip-basket.jpg

beyond_ban
12-10-2009, 04:20 PM
^^ Is that gravy or ranch?

nonlinear
12-10-2009, 04:26 PM
white gravy, man! you know, the kind you make from a chicken... brown gravy is from beef :nut: :nut:

seany99119
12-10-2009, 04:28 PM
that would be ranch. I miss the texas toast very much myself and wish we still had it... And yes i agree the brown gravy is the shits but it tastes alot better if you add pepper to it, but id much rather have white gravy. As for our food menu it has changed for worse and wish it was the same as years ago.

nonlinear
12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by seany99119
that would be ranch. I miss the texas toast very much myself and wish we still had it... And yes i agree the brown gravy is the shits but it tastes alot better if you add pepper to it, but id much rather have white gravy. As for our food menu it has changed for worse and wish it was the same as years ago.

^^absolutely not, it's called "country gravy." i used to work there, man! that pic is from the states by the way... we don't have it here, which is why I was suggesting it to you ;)

http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/eats-and-treats/menu/eats/chicken-strip-basket/

100% white meat whole tenderloin chicken strips served with crispy fries, Texas Toast and your choice of dipping sauce like our delicious country gravy. Available in four or six piece baskets.

89s1
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

^^absolutely not, it's called "country gravy." i used to work there, man! that pic is from the states by the way... we don't have it here, which is why I was suggesting it to you ;)

http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/eats-and-treats/menu/eats/chicken-strip-basket/

In your link where it describes the chicken basket it says "your choice of dipping sauce"

I think "their choice" for this photoshoot was ranch ;)

nonlinear
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
DUDE, believe me, I fucking worked there in high school. the country gravy is white, and that is what is pictured. do you think i'm just making this up for the fuck of it? it's a really, really common gravy you make from chicken. didn't your mamas every make chicken gravy????

nonlinear
12-10-2009, 05:06 PM
for the silly brown-gravy-only canadians who have never seen or heard of "white gravy" or "country gravy," here are some pics (unless you still think it's ranch):

http://www.mccormick.com/~/media/Images/Products/Product%20Details/Seasoning%20Mixes/Gravies%20and%20Sauces/original%20coungry%20gravy%20mix.ashx

http://img.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/ck/pork-chops-ck-1197218-l.jpg

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps39826_RX1193260A10_08_1b.jpg

masoncgy
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
hahaha... obviously some people have not travelled much... country gravy is what's for dinner all over the US... ;)

I remember the US DQs selling the chicken strip basket with texas toast and country gravy... our version was without the toast, brown gravy as the standard or you could have dipping sauce instead of gravy.

At some point, the Canadian DQs upgraded their baskets to include the texas toast... I am not sure if that is still the case or not.

To the dude that currently works there... do you know why DQ changed from having a flat grill in the kitchen to those stupid curing ovens...?

The food would be better if it was prepared the same way it was about 10 years ago... freshly chain broiled burgers tossed on the grill to melt any cheese, cook up the bacon, etc.

nonlinear
12-10-2009, 05:14 PM
^^^yea, man. we had a flat grill when i worked there. i didn't know they changed it, maybe that explains why my burger tasted like a burnt asshole last time i went :dunno:

masoncgy
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah for sure, they have to slow down the chain broiler a bit more and cook the hell of out the meat to make sure it doesn't go out pink... and in that process, it loses more of it's juices and gets more charred and dried out...

I much preferred the old way... those burgers were always juicy and delicious...

Rat Fink
12-10-2009, 07:35 PM