PDA

View Full Version : Since when did Petro charge for AIR

MrPlow1
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I pulled in to the Petro Station on macleod across from Toms House of Pizza today to put some air in one of my front tires. They now have a slot for a loonie OR quarters (options, people...) to insert for air. When the fuck did this happen.

jwslam
12-05-2009, 08:29 PM
hmm
i was paying for air in summer 08 at petro
i was kinda pissed for sure but i needed the damn air
so prb before that

G-Suede
12-05-2009, 08:36 PM
If you go in and ask the cashier, they will turn it on for free.

badatusrnames
12-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Better start working on that lung strength...

FiveFreshFish
12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Esso started it all a few years ago and it was one or two quarters. Go buy an electric pump at Canadian Tire.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/AirPumpsCompressors/PRD~0095080P/Compact%2BCompressor.jsp

sr20s14zenki
12-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Yep, very FEW places dont charge for air anymore. It sucks, but to be fair to them, it DOES take electricity to run a compressor to make air for you....i know its cheap, but they are watching their bottom line. They are overcharging IMO, but anything can be turned into business haha.

2Valve0
12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I just paid 30 mins ago at petro by market mall...such bs...
Co-op ftw...free free free

Isaiah
12-05-2009, 09:07 PM
It's kind of annoying but more stations are going that route. 7-11 locations with gas and some Shell stations still offer free air.

PureDeXteritY
12-05-2009, 09:08 PM
EDIT:
Isaiah is too quick for me,
I'm pretty sure most shells are still free

HondaKid
12-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I get back at the Petro Canada by calling CIty Hall and reporting their uncleared sidewalk. The City drops by PC and cuts them a ticket.

Tik-Tok
12-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Lol, compressed air, I only use nitrogen for my tires, I can drive on sheer ice, and stop/turn on a dime with that ballin' shit!

turbotrip
12-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by G-Suede

this man speaks the truth

Isaiah
12-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Lol, compressed air, I only use nitrogen for my tires, I can drive on sheer ice, and stop/turn on a dime with that ballin' shit!
Can you use that in any tire? What do you do if it gets low, how do you top it up?

JZS_147
12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Shell doesnt charge

petro in chestermere charges $1.... retarded

Tik-Tok
12-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Can you use that in any tire? What do you do if it gets low, how do you top it up?

I was being an ass.

(Though I do use nitrogen in my tires, it's free... for me :D )

nonlinear
12-05-2009, 10:13 PM
you guys act like you've never seen this before... i mean shit, i'm 30 years old and these have been around for as long as I can remember.

someone's gotta pay for the costs of buying and maintaining a compressor. if you don't have to put a quarter in the machine, you're gonna pay for it through increased prices of everything else in the store. IMO it's fairer to charge the people actually using it instead of making everyone pay for it.

:dunno:

97'Scort
12-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Nitrogen is great, but I don't use it in my winters. If I ever need to let the air out to get traction on the ice, I'm not going all the way to Costco to get a refill.

ExtraSlow
12-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Fas Gas on Centre street and 36 street North has free air, and it's one of thosee old school high-volume air compressors that are pretty good for filling truck tires or any other larger tires that take a long time on those crappy small compressors.

Also, Co-op is a good bet.

badatusrnames
12-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
someone's gotta pay for the costs of buying and maintaining a compressor. if you don't have to put a quarter in the machine, you're gonna pay for it through increased prices of everything else in the store. IMO it's fairer to charge the people actually using it instead of making everyone pay for it.

:werd:

But it was nice when I was a kid to be able to roll up to the gas station, put air in my bike tire and use my quarter for candy.

nonlinear
12-06-2009, 01:32 AM
^^true dat :bigpimp:

roopi
12-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Superstore Gas is free for air as well.

psycoticclown
12-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
you guys act like you've never seen this before... i mean shit, i'm 30 years old and these have been around for as long as I can remember.

But you already pay an increased price for everything in the store. :dunno:

Imo, it should be a free service, just like providing napkins and ketchup at fast food places. Supplies cost a lot for restaurants too.

CMW403
12-06-2009, 03:50 AM
iv never had to pay for air.

dirtsniffer
12-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Last year I went to a petro to get some air. I sorta felt not bad about not buying anything so I bought a coke with the two bucks I had on me, then so then I drove over to the air pump only to realize that that they were making me pay, and I haven't gone back yet

rockanrepublic
12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
this and with petro taking away there discount on gas left me no reason to stick with them i go to shell now

narou
12-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147
Shell doesnt charge

petro in chestermere charges $1.... retarded

Go to the Gas Plus on the west side. There is an air hose poking out kinda next the their mailbox in the brick wall.

Power_Of_Rotary
12-06-2009, 11:22 AM
wtf people? i fill up air all the time and i never paid once.

alot of places are still free, petro is a douche about it mainly

esso
fasgas
shell
superstore
coop

narou
12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I have seen most essos's charge for air now.

crez
12-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I've seen some that charge for air, but advertise that the money goes to charity, which makes me not mind paying for it.

C_Dave45
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by G-Suede

Originally posted by turbotrip

this man speaks the truth

If you're actually paying the quarter/loonie/whatever, then you're a sucker. Just walk into the cubicle and ask for it. I've never had them say no.

The Wanderer
12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
As anoying as charging for air is I understand it. You would be amased how many station have to replace the end pieces REGULARLY. One Shell station was replacing them aproximately 3 times a week somewhere in BC (they finaly removed the air and people complained)

The problem is that the end pieces supposedly make great crack pipes.

Takamine
12-06-2009, 02:05 PM
People, just use a bike pump. It's a good workout too :D

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I use 78.084% nitrogen in my tires :D

FiveFreshFish
12-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Ditto. :D

whiskas
12-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Husky/Mohawk also has free air.

ianmcc
12-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by The Wanderer
As annoying as charging for air is I understand it. You would be amazed how many station have to replace the end pieces REGULARLY. One Shell station was replacing them approximately 3 times a week somewhere in BC (they finally removed the air and people complained)

The problem is that the end pieces supposedly make great crack pipes.

I haven't heard of the crack pipe use, but my wife manages a 7-Eleven and she is having to replace one end per week minimum. They don't charge for air yet but unless people take care of the equipment it will happen at all gas stations.

core_upt
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
just got back from California - the lemon of a Jeep we rented required air in one tire every few days. EVERY service station charged 50 cents to a dollar for air.

more and more stations in town are charging for it, which sucks. A few Petro Cans put in these really awesoem compressors, where you preset your PSI and the compressor shuts off when you hit that level...Those I don't mind paying for, so long as I can do all 4 tires in one shot.

masoncgy
12-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I always go to the Canadian Tire gas bar on 14 St NW at MacEwan... old school style air hose with a shitload of pressure and makes topping up super quick & efficient...

...and free of charge to boot.

Those newer style compressors suck ass... takes forever to put 5 psi in the tires... especially when you have to plug the thing with quarters to get it going.

No surprise more places are charging... nothing is free in this world.

clem24
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I use 78.084% nitrogen in my tires :D

:rofl:

Aleks
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I have never seen this before.
I always fill up at Husky so that's why I guess. I haven't noticed them charging any more for gas either and I like going there because it's the closest to my house since they closed down Shell :banghead:

But their regualar gas is 90 octane and midgrade is 92, so that's a bonus.

Xtrema
12-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

But you already pay an increased price for everything in the store. :dunno:

Imo, it should be a free service, just like providing napkins and ketchup at fast food places. Supplies cost a lot for restaurants too.

Not everyone goes in and buy their $2 chocolate bars.

And gas margin is so low, I don't blame them for charging for air. But unless in an emergency, I can care less.

scat19
12-07-2009, 01:41 PM

I was being an ass.

Dry air is primarily made up of nitrogen (78.09%) and oxygen (20.95%). The remaining 1% is made up of argon (0.93%), carbon dioxide (0.03%) and other trace gases (0.003%). :facepalm: to anyone who gets suckered in for nitrogen air.

You're right xtrema - with ONE 50 dollar drive off (not paying for gas/stealing, known as a drive off) a week, the profit is gone for that week.

Gas stations make money when you purchase anything inside.