PDA

View Full Version : Escalade Engine Block/Coolant Heater

Zhariak
12-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Hey guys, looking for some info from some fellow 2007+ lade drivers...

Is your engine coolant and block heater plugin hanging under/behind the front lip?

I thought I didn't have one, turns out it's RIGHT behind the front lip. Kinda super pissed off about this considering I have to lay on the ground to reach under and plug it in...

If so, if you undid the zip strip, where did you end up securing the cable to so it doesn't get stuck in any of the moving parts?

I'm assuming the cable placement is the same on Yukons, suburbs, etc...

There's no effin way I'm laying on the ground to plug it in on a nightly basis... and I have to figure something out cuz last winter was SUPER ruff on the engine...

Any help is welcomed!

SI_futbol
12-06-2009, 02:41 AM
short extension cable?

Zhariak
12-06-2009, 10:02 AM
the cable is wound up with a zip strip... I'm wondering if at the factory they didn't route it properly since it's not where the manual says it's supposed to be...

I could undo the zip strip and route it through the engine compartment. I just don't want it catching on anything in or around the engine...

adidas
12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Dude is it really hard to pop open the hood and see which way you could route the cable? It takes all of 5 min to get it where you want.

BlackArcher101
12-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Route it 20"s to the right (when looking towards the front), then 15" up, then about 25" to the rear. That should bring it close to zip tying it to the suspension.

But really... just route it where you'd like it? :dunno:

Zhariak
12-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Well I donno, I'm worried about having a cable dangling around the fan thing at the front (sorry for my lack of auto-knowledge, lol)... Or around the belts by the front of the engine...

Don't want it rubbing, or getting wound up in any moving parts, lol.

I read that the cable is soo short it's hard to bring it up into a safe place.

5000Audi
12-06-2009, 09:40 PM
simple, buy zip ties, cut off factory zip ties, then run the cord any way you want, secure with new zip ties.. simple..

Zhariak
12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
So here's the deal...

Turns out there is a temperature sensor reader thingy on the housing of the plugin itself...

If you get the block heater, apparently it comes out towards the top of the engine so you can hang it out of the hood... However if you get the coolant heater it comes out of the bottom of the vehicle...

The temperature sensor makes sure it only starts heating the coolant when the temp hits -18C or something like that. I've read about a few guys ripping the plugin and temp sensor off and rigging up a straight plugin, and causing overheat problems, lol.

I'm guessing they want it underneath the vehicle so that the engine heat doesn't become a factor. So it only reads the temperature of cold crisp cold (as heat rises). And that's why it's not sitting under the hood where heat may collect???

Thanks anyways guys!