PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrapping a Ferrari F430

Sykes
12-06-2009, 06:03 PM
It's a little disconcerting to see them making cuts to the vinyl AFTER it has been applied onto the car though. Regardless, they make it look easy.

i3LPfHk3gKo

adidas
12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
that material looks pretty easy to work with.

I would of just kept the red paint job...looks much better that way.

jdm_eg6
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
what does a wrap typically cost? My girlfriend currently owns an 07 civic and mentioned she wished it were black. So i suggested wrapping as a cost effective alternative.

Sharpie
12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
what does a wrap typically cost? My girlfriend currently owns an 07 civic and mentioned she wished it were black. So i suggested wrapping as a cost effective alternative.
$5000+ I am pretty sure its around $1500 just for the materials to wrap a car.

G-ZUS
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

Originally posted by Sharpie

$5000+ I am pretty sure its around $1500 just for the materials to wrap a car.

I emailed the place Rage2 got his car wrapped and they wanted 4000+ to wrap a 98 Accord coupe. The civic should cost somewhere in that ballpark!

~Touge/Wangan-
12-06-2009, 11:18 PM
i've had a few of my work vehicle's wrapped in vinyl, the longevity of the stuff is to be questioned, especially if it's been sitting in direct sunlight and left dirty for a while....

that ferrari looks AMAZING though!...

black13
12-06-2009, 11:28 PM
If you do the wrap yourself and buy the cheap stuff, it could be done for under 1000.

Thing is, this high end stuff rage and this guy use is thinner and much much much easier to apply and therefore more expensive. And not to mention applying it alone, you need to have some good experience or its air bubble galore.

chkolny541
12-06-2009, 11:41 PM
man they make it look so easy,

my guess is maybe a few hours job, and they likely made 5k+ in profit:dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
12-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
man they make it look so easy,

my guess is maybe a few hours job, and they likely made 5k+ in profit:dunno:
It's more than a few hours worth of work, plus they have 3 guys working on that Ferrari non stop. As mentioned the material alone is a couple of grand. Not a fan of this on Ferraris at all.

TimeAttack
12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by black13
And not to mention applying it alone, you need to have some good experience or its air bubble galore.

Wrap vinyl typically comes with some sort of air release technology.
I don't know about this matte black, but I know all the vehicle wraps for company promo vehicles are wrapped with vinyl that has this technology.

Basically, its got a network of veins on the underside of the vinyl that lets air escape while applying.
You could complete for example the entire hood and then notice a 2" bubble right in the middle of the hood. Rather than having to pop it or go back and start from the middle of the hood again you just work it in lightly with your finger and the air pushes out and the bubble is instantly gone.

Bubbles are a non-issue, the biggest issues for vinyl wraps are stretching too much and tearing, or wrinkling.

traviswithaG
12-08-2009, 06:28 PM
what are the advantages?

nich148_9
12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by traviswithaG
what are the advantages?

Less expensive than a complete, high-quality repaint. Easier to apply than paint. Changeable and non-permanent.

n1zm0
12-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by traviswithaG
what are the advantages?

ask rage2, i'm sure he can give us some updates on how his vinyl wrap is going in this -30 weather and how many rock chips he has or hasn't got.

SCHIDER23
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I liked the red color, but it looks nice with the matte vinyl, I like that you can go back to your factory paint anytime you want.:hitit:

black13
12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TimeAttack

Wrap vinyl typically comes with some sort of air release technology.
I don't know about this matte black, but I know all the vehicle wraps for company promo vehicles are wrapped with vinyl that has this technology.

Basically, its got a network of veins on the underside of the vinyl that lets air escape while applying.
You could complete for example the entire hood and then notice a 2" bubble right in the middle of the hood. Rather than having to pop it or go back and start from the middle of the hood again you just work it in lightly with your finger and the air pushes out and the bubble is instantly gone.

Bubbles are a non-issue, the biggest issues for vinyl wraps are stretching too much and tearing, or wrinkling.

Your right but that is the expensive stuff. I don't think you can get those ones for under 1k for a full car wrap. The cheap stuff I've worked with are a pain to apply if your not a professional and even then there are still bubbles which have to be popped later.
But even with that stuff, look at this video. They aren't just slapping it on, they are bending it and heating the right way to make it work.

gqmw
12-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by black13

Your right but that is the expensive stuff. I don't think you can get those ones for under 1k for a full car wrap. The cheap stuff I've worked with are a pain to apply if your not a professional and even then there are still bubbles which have to be popped later.
But even with that stuff, look at this video. They aren't just slapping it on, they are bending it and heating the right way to make it work.

Yeah pain in the ass for you to do it yourself. The cheaper stuff you can probably get around $1k range if you do it yourself.

funkedelic2
12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
that was sweet