PDA

View Full Version : Kicker CompVT 6.5" sub

CalgaryAE92
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Has anyone had any experince with these speakers? Especially in free-air application (ie no box).

http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt

Looks like not a bad idea to substitute for 6.5" rear speakers to give some low end, just don't know how they would sound in a door. Though it looks like that's what they're made for.

chkolny541
12-07-2009, 12:28 AM
6.5" sub!, holy shit thats small, ive never seen smaller than 8. If you put it in your door, be forewarned that you will likely rattle your door panel off, lol.

Hash_man
12-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Both JL and Focal make small subs as well, JL being a 6" I believe, and Focal making a 5" sub.

Generally speaking you need a fair number of them to get decent output unless you are dealing with a very small cabin such as an s2000/ Ferrari, etc. because of the small cone area. Running them infinite baffle in a rear deck of a car probably wouldn't warrant the best performance out of them IMO.
As for running them as door speakers... Unless you are going to run a 3way kit using these, and then a mid range and tweeter, then don't bother. You would be better off getting a dedicated 6.5" mid-bass driver if you just want to run a 2way setup, as these 6.5" subs only play up to 350hz.... and probably don't sound too good when they do.

CalgaryAE92
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys. The midbass driver is a great suggestion. I like my music to come mainly from my front speakers anyways so I thought the rears would be a good place to put in some low frequency speakers. Any suggestions on some good midbass speakers Hash man? Or anyone else for that matter.

TE4MFaint
12-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Kicker also makes mid-bass speakers.
Model numbers are a few years old unfortunately,
however you can still find them around on various websites.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2543_Kicker+SSMB6.html

I had a set of 8's of these before in my old celica to replace the factory 8" midwoofers. Sounded absolutely gorgeous. Highly recommended.