PDA

View Full Version : waist line & gut area reduction plan?

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Was wondering do you guys use any multi-vitamins or certain products to reduce the waist & gut area?

what type of food would be preferable?
what type of workout?
what type of supplements?

the problem is that for the last 4 months i've gained 20 pounds!
cause of the new desk job that I have, I am sitting down 98% of the time and only getting up to either get a drink or to the washroom.

and all that 20 pounds went straight to the gut and waist line area.

I went from a size 30 to a 33 pants size. and it's very alarming to me.

i'm a 6'1 185 pounds now non smoker

please help

GQBalla
12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
judging from how much you've gained and you stating your sitting a desk your eating some bad junk.

quit buying your lunch
quit snacking on chips and etc
quit drinking pop

its not rocket science

if you search theres lots of info on beyond about this already

masoncgy
12-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow... I'm 6'1 and could only dream of being 185 lb... lol...

As it's been said, you need to make sure you're not just sitting around eating crappy junk food all day... it's easy to do at a desk job...

Go for walks on your breaks and during lunch hour... eat healthy foods... see if you can find some people to walk with you, there are usually other office folk looking to get some exercise outdoors.

I watched so many people get fat quick at the call centre I used to manage... they'd put on the standard 15 lbs in like 2-3 months... lol.

I put on 50 lb while I worked there... not so good.

GQBalla
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
im 5"8 and 185 hehe

max_boost
12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
It's really simple actually.

1. Lift some weights.
2. Do some cardio
3. Eat lean and healthy and don't over-eat!

Done.

If you have shitty genetics you just have to work even harder.

I'm doing all 3 but then a weekend of boozing and it's back to square 1. Fuck! :banghead:

GQBalla
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

1. Lift some weights.
2. Do some cardio

Done.

I'm doing all 3 but then a weekend of boozing and it's back to square 1. Fuck! :banghead:

thats why i stopped drinking ahahah

spike98
12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

1. Lift some weights.
2. Do some cardio

Done.

This is me to a T haha. I am making progress however. I have lost 17lbs in about 12 weeks. Even with the weekend drinking.

After the weekend it takes 3-4 days to lose the weekend weight then thursday and friday i make some better numbers than the week before.

If i didnt drink or require hangover grease i would be having fantastic results.

The key to weightloss is simple.

Burn more calories than you intake. My BMR is around 2200 cal and i intake 1600 a day. That with cardio and your off.

http://caloriecount.about.com/ helped me in the beginning to get a grasp on what is what in the calorie world. I dont use it now but it opened my eyes and trained me on how to eat right.

revelations
12-07-2009, 01:37 PM
20-30min of cardio 2-3 times a week is CRUCIAL if you have a job where you sit all day, every day.

Weight training is good, but good, medium intensity cardio is what will take off the pounds.

Drinking water is also very important as is light, healthy snacks during the course of the day.

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Those bad habits of mine that I recently enjoyed must stop!

*Eating junk food
*Drinking pop/beer :*( BEER!! omfg i can't beleive this shit!
*eating when full

Im glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had this type of problem. DAMN YOU JOB, WHY must you pay so gOOD!

It looks like the solution is to do some cardio as well so it seems like im forced to go to the gym.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
My other Question is still not answered and would like your input.

My Waist line and GUt area has expanded and I need to get rid of it.

Besides doing cardio and massive sit ups,Is there a shortcut supplement that I can take, do those ab machine works like in the informercial? Did any one try slim fast? did it work for you?

Anyways I'm not trying to bulk up, im trying to get back to my original size

And it seems like I have to stop eating Carbs, omfg no more pasta,rice,bread.

EDIT

I found love handles! :*(

revelations
12-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Situps wont shrink your gut.

You have to shrink the size of your actual stomach (eating numerous small portions) while removing fat from the waist region (cardio).

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by revelations

You have to shrink the size of your actual stomach (eating numerous small portions) while removing fat from the waist region (cardio).

what do you mean by small portions.

As an example ,eat a quarter of my plate then eat some more later?

did i get that right?

revelations
12-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Instead of the usual 3 meals throughout the day add a pre-lunch snack, afternoon snack, post dinner snack.

Now you can reduce the amount of food at your regular meals, which will reduce the size of your actual stomach(intestines, etc.).

ercchry
12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
damn 185lbs at 6'1"? maybe you should think about hitting the gym to bulk up too :nut:

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
thank you for the website spike98, This is no different from taking a look at my finances lol

is 20-30 minute of cardio enough? I though I had to do atleast an HOUR of the stair master or walking/running machine?

---------------------------------------------------------

I understand that concept now revelations thank you for explaining.

It just seems like I have to keep myself full at all times by eating small quantaties. Instead of eating heavily all the time,

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
damn 185lbs at 6'1"? maybe you should think about hitting the gym to bulk up too :nut:

that was recommended by my dad, since i have fat to turn to muscles, but the problem is that all that fat was concentraded in a few areas like my gut, my waist line and now love handles appeared. It's only a matter of time that I get my man boobs and can't see my c**k anymore since my stomach is too big :*(

snoop101
12-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Im in he same boat as you. Been working IT at a desk for years and gained so much. My arms and legs are lean, but my gut, ass, and waist gained a lot.

I been drinking more tea (green tea mostly) which seems to help a bit, next im going to go on a soup diet. soup through out the day.

Biggest issue is that after a couple years your motabolism slow down so much that you dont ware away as much while sitting.

beyond_ban
12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I ma 6'2 and 185, but im prefectly fine with my body. It is all about what you eat, ESPECIALLY if you are not getting enough activity in to your daily routine. I hit the gym 3-5 times /week depending on how motivated i am feeling. I do it more so to maintain a healthy lifestyle and lean body, rather then to get jacked/roided like you see some people.

badatusrnames
12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Fat doesn't magically turn into muscle.

lint
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
20-30min of cardio 2-3 times a week is CRUCIAL if you have a job where you sit all day, every day.

Weight training is good, but good, medium intensity cardio is what will take off the pounds.

BS. Cardio is ONE method to create a caloric deficit. ot the only one, and depending on the type of diet, can be detrimental by slowing down the metabolism further. The primary purpose of weight training while dieting isn't to burn calories. It's to help maintain lean body mass.

core_upt
12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
What are you eating now?

And if you just quit smoking, this will count for some of the gain.... after you eat, you used to go for a smoke, right? Without smoking, you probably keep eating, not really knowing when to stop....

Another killer in the office environment is the calories you drink. Those fancy starbucks drinks or iced coffees pack upwards of 600 calories, about 1/4 - 1/6 of your daily intake in a single cup!

lint
12-07-2009, 02:17 PM

Also incorrect. Gut size is not determined by size of the stomach, it's determined by the amount of visceral fat around your internal organs.

revelations
12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by lint

Also incorrect. Gut size is not determined by size of the stomach, it's determined by the amount of visceral fat around your internal organs.

Not quite, I already mentioned that internal fat deposits contribute to a larger gut, but digesting large food portions also adds to stomach size - maybe not to the same degree necessarly.

mowglee
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't think the size of your gut has to do with the size of your stomach. I'm about 5'11 and weigh around 160 and I eat more than most of my friends who are around my size. If you want to lose weight do your cardio in the morning before breakfast. That way you are using the fat stored as opposed to the food you just ate. And don't go all out too because you are going on an empty stomach.

Try the cabbage soup diet http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/ I tried it for 6 days (I couldn't last the 7. I have too much of a sweet tooth :) ) and lost about 7 pounds. Follow it religiously and you should see some quick results.

max_boost
12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Here we go again.

The Master Cleanse.

"Bart" does this every year and drops 25-30lbs. Personally it's rather insane but if you want short cuts, here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Cleanse

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by mowglee
I don't think the size of your gut has to do with the size of your stomach. I'm about 5'11 and weigh around 160 and I eat more than most of my friends who are around my size. If you want to lose weight do your cardio in the morning before breakfast. That way you are using the fat stored as opposed to the food you just ate. And don't go all out too because you are going on an empty stomach.

Try the cabbage soup diet http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/ I tried it for 6 days (I couldn't last the 7. I have too much of a sweet tooth :) ) and lost about 7 pounds. Follow it religiously and you should see some quick results.

Early morning cardio is a great idea. 45 minutes a day should be good. :) However I don't think my body will adapt to a 7 day cabbage soup.

I will start to drink green tea cold or hot?

thast fish oil idea sounds good too. anyone knows where we can buy them locally? Will that help me lose weight? fish oil really?

It looks like i'm gonna have to buy some fruits for those small meal breaks. Any other recommandations besides fruits?

slowboy
12-07-2009, 03:09 PM
While doing 20-30 mins 3 times a week of cardiovascular workout is a good start, you must incorporate this with weight training as well. Cardiovascular exercises will raise muscle metabolism during the activity and for a short time after that. Weight training, on the other hand, will raise your muscle metabolism during the exercise session and for a long time after the exercise session. High metabolism = weight loss.
When weight training, try to do compound exercises (exercises that involve multiple muscle groups) such as Barbell Squat, Deadlift, Lunges, Chin-Ups, Bench Press, Military Press, Bent-over Rows.
Last but certainly not least, eat healthy!!!

snoop101
12-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by spankingmonkey

Early morning cardio is a great idea. 45 minutes a day should be good. :) However I don't think my body will adapt to a 7 day cabbage soup.

I will start to drink green tea cold or hot?

thast fish oil idea sounds good too. anyone knows where we can buy them locally? Will that help me lose weight? fish oil really?

It looks like i'm gonna have to buy some fruits for those small meal breaks. Any other recommandations besides fruits?

I take fish oils not for loosing weight but because of all the good stuff it does. Also if you find that when you burp you smell like you just ate a raw fish and it bugs you, you can also go to flax seed oil pills. somewhat the same without that fishy smell.

This sounds strange but instead of having sex at night with the love one try to fit it in the morning (double meaning). It will wake you up, get your heart going, and depending on how its done can also be a work out.

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
What are you eating now?

And if you just quit smoking, this will count for some of the gain.... after you eat, you used to go for a smoke, right? Without smoking, you probably keep eating, not really knowing when to stop....

Another killer in the office environment is the calories you drink. Those fancy starbucks drinks or iced coffees pack upwards of 600 calories, about 1/4 - 1/6 of your daily intake in a single cup!

that's a great addition, no more starbucks. that should save me even more money and lose weight.

Looks like all i can drink is water and probably juice? is juice still acceptable or even tea?

sex twice a day is priviledge for me and thats only in sundays since we are both off that day. It's not like college anymore when we can do it 2-3 times a day.

Shouldn't I avoid sex in the morning since i'll be going early morning cardio workout? won't i just be even more lazyier or don't even wanna work out anymore?!

A friend of mine recommended me to eat sushi? since fish helps you lose weight? Any inputs or advice regarding sushi diet lol?

240_girl
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
If you are looking for a fat burning supplement I would say "Ripped Freak" is your best shot. It is the most powerful fat burning supplement legally available in North America.

snoop101
12-07-2009, 03:46 PM

Shouldn't I avoid sex in the morning since i'll be going early morning cardio workout? won't i just be even more lazyier or don't even wanna work out anymore?!

Maybe.. Im lazy so even having sex in the morning is a big thing.lol.

But ya I agree with you on the sex part. I bitch and complain all the time that we dont do it enough.. Sigh I miss the good ol days.

FiveFreshFish
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM

sex twice a day is priviledge for me and thats only in sundays since we are both off that day. It's not like college anymore when we can do it 2-3 times a day.

Judging by your username, you don't need a partner for this type of cardio. :rofl:

liquidboi69
12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
#1) Fat does not "turn" into muscle. It simply acts as a bit of a buffer so your muscles do not get utilized for fuel as much. Skinny people who don't eat don't gain muscle because they eat their own muscle for fuel. It is a misconception that fat turns into muscle, it is just easier to gain muscle WITH fat.

#2) You can not spot reduce fat (mostly.) You will have to lose total body fat.

#3) Eat small portions numerous times a day. If you are supposed to eat 3000 calories a day, eat five 600 calorie meals 5x/day instead of three 1000 calorie meals. This theoretically boosts metabolism/decreases hunger and binging/enables you to absorb the nutrients better.

#4) You at this stage do not need supplements to lose weight. This won't do shit, and might even harm you. The only thing you need to do is to diet. People who are lazy will get no where. Just get your diet in check.

#5) You are 6'1 and 185...I'm that weight at 5'8...
Just eat mostly healthy and work out. Your body will most likely recompose itself to muscle. At the weight you're at, you probably don't even need a super strict diet.

#6) Avoid sugar. Juice has sugar, and I personally avoid it (however juice can be healthy for you.) Sushi/fish will not necessarily make you lose weight. If your friend theories that the Omega3's in fish will aid in weight loss...I can tell you that the effects are negligible.

However, eating fish is good because it has protein. Eat protein, and cut back on carbs. Sushi does have alot of carbs in it, so I don't know if that would be the ideal food...but it's alot better than other things out there. With your weight/goals, I don't think you have to worry about super strict bodybuilder type dieting.

#7) You don't NEED cardio. People use cardio as a calorie deficit as already posted. However, you can just simply eat less, and save yourself those 30 mins...or do circuit training/HIIT which imo is infinitely better than jogging type cardio. I've lost 20lb's without doing the conventional running cardio.

#8) The amount of weight depends on the calories you eat. The quality of weight depends on the diet and workout. So don't do one without the other.

#9) Don't worry about sex. Just have it when you want to, and don't try to budget/schedule sex or anything. Unless you're 'spankingyourmoney' in the locker room, it shouldn't effect you by the time you get to the gym anyway.

#10) Good luck and keep at it. Results aren't seen immediately. You need to keep at it.

bspot
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
If you hate the gym, sign up for some teams.

I'm on two hockey teams and two volleyball teams and stay right around 6'7 210lbs (fairly slim when you consider the height) and I eat pretty much whatever I feel like.

I did switch to light beer for my every night weekday drinking though.

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by bspot

I'm on two hockey teams and two volleyball teams and stay right around 6'7 210lbs (fairly slim when you consider the height) and I eat pretty much whatever I feel like.

I was considering joining a sports team, like basketball but it would just be unfair for my friends since I won't be as commited as they would be.

hitting the gym is already part of the plan, how does the sauna work? how long I stay in there?

I've pretty much rounded up my cardio routine and im pretty much convinced that it is necessary to lose weight.

*2-3 Times Perform high intensity cardiovascular exercise 20mins
*3-6 Perform low intensity cardiovascular exercise 1 hour

*and train abs with resistance 10 reps
*Avoid juice/pop/beer/starbucks
*eat small portions

I just need to find out what type of food I can eat, snacks and so on.

Ephedrine Caffeine Aspirin? Anyone tried that yet? how does that work ? should I add that as a supplement?

Penguin_Racecar
12-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Training abs with resistance won't do you much good. Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. You can't spot reduce by doing millions of crunches/situps. You can help "shape" them with such exercises when you're down to a low enough body fat percentage where you can actually see them. Otherwise, it's just going to pack muscle under fat :)

Also, add weight training into your exercises. Perhaps alternate weight / cardio training. If you just do cardio training and lose a ton of weight you're going to be left looking scrawny from burning fat and muscle. You want to try to retain the muscle you have currently, and drop the fat. Realistically, you want to lose fat, not weight.

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
Training abs with resistance won't do you much good. Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. You can't spot reduce by doing millions of crunches/situps. You can help "shape" them with such exercises when you're down to a low enough body fat percentage where you can actually see them. Otherwise, it's just going to pack muscle under fat :)

Also, add weight training into your exercises. Perhaps alternate weight / cardio training. If you just do cardio training and lose a ton of weight you're going to be left looking scrawny from burning fat and muscle. You want to try to retain the muscle you have currently, and drop the fat. Realistically, you want to lose fat, not weight.

I see, so the goal is to remove fat by doing cardio and eating right.
A friend of mine told me you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time?

What's the best way to remove fat then , what type of food to eat is now the main question.

I think I might need to do some cleansing of the body, any suggestions of what to use?

project240
12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Again, cardio is key. I play rec basketball and go for the occasional jog only.

I'm pretty much the same boat as above. I'm 6'6" about 225lbs and I eat whatever, whenever. I've gone weeks eating 3000+ calories/day and still can't put on weight. I've been at the same weight +/- 5 lbs for years.

InLoveWitRSX
12-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I used to be 200 pounds at 5' 11" ish, then I did cardio every night for about an hour for about a month or 2 and I literally lost 50 pounds. (still ate the same still did everything the same, only added cardio every night), cardio works. Now im working out and gaining muscle and am back to 171 lbs.

dandia89
12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
i would make sure you mix a good strength training routine with HIIT.

Cooked Rice
12-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Diet and sleep. You're eating the same way as you use to, but doing a lot less physical activity. If you do a lot of physical activites, especially intenser ones like cardio workouts etc, most of the time you can get away with cheating with what you eat. Not ideal, but it won't show as much in your gut because you're using that energy somewhere.

So if you sit around all day, you're using very little energy. You have to be a lot more strict with your diet. Supplements won't do anything unless supplemented with proper diet and exercise. And even then they account for less than 10% difference in when you use them or not.

Simple. For your diet. Make everything from it's raw form. best grocery shopping tip ever, stay on the outside perimeter of the grocery store. Where they sell raw vegetables, raw meat etc. The aisles are filled with food full of excessive fat, sugars, preservatives etc. Not everything obviously but when you buy something look at the ingredients list. If it's something like canned tuna, that's fine cause it's in it's basic form, cooked tuna and water. Fruit is okay but remember there's sugar there. They are good for natural sugars, your body needs sugars but too much is bad like always. Don't replace your vegetables with fruit!

Also, are you getting a good sleep at night? Poor or insufficient sleep can lead to weight gain.

I will give you an example of the supplements I use, and so you can get an idea. For me, my job is very physical, I workout regularly and I tend to focus on plyometrics. So here it is:

Pre workout:
Nitric oxide

Post workout:
whey protein powder
gatorade powder (provides simple sugars you need and electrolytes to replenish fluids)
creatine monohydrate

daily supplements:
multi-vitamin
fish oil capsules
GreensPlus powder

Penguin_Racecar
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM

I see, so the goal is to remove fat by doing cardio and eating right.
A friend of mine told me you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time?

What's the best way to remove fat then , what type of food to eat is now the main question.

I think I might need to do some cleansing of the body, any suggestions of what to use?

The goal is to remove fat in general. This can be done by eating less and/or exercising more. The idea is that through weight training you can retain your current muscle mass, while dropping body fat. Your friend is correct in saying that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.
As for food choices, Cooked Rice has it pretty well summed up. Grocery stores are generally set up in a way that the good stuff is on the outsides of the store. That's where the majority of your purchases should be. Ie: dairy, meat, vegetables. If you're seriously concerned about food/meals, it may even be worthwhile to see a dietician (though I never have). I wouldn't worry too much about supplements. Unless you're into serious training/conditioning you probably won't see any benefit to them.

Regarding cleansing: I've heard positive and negative responses about it. I've never tried, nor will I ever. I'm pretty sure it just dumps out a ton of water weight and make you think you just dropped 10lbs when realistically you just dehydrated yourself. There's no easy way to lose weight fast (though commercials will have you believe otherwise). It takes either a significant calorie intake change (eating healthier/less), or a significant calorie output change (exercising) to see results relatively quickly. Not some diet that makes you have bowel movements from hell for a few days.

Cliff's notes:
Squats!

Impreza
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Looks like all i can drink is water and probably juice? is juice still acceptable or even tea?

You really need to watch your sugar intake closely. So some juices may not be the best idea to drink.

core_upt
12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
OP - read this thread, every post, every page:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/233787/the-5-month-challenge-whos-with-me-completed-updates-inside/

It sounds an awful lot like you are pulling 'information' from google ads and infomercials.

Understand a few basic principals:

- this will take time and commitment; you did not gain 30 lbs in two weeks, you will not lose it in 2 weeks. Time and Commitment

- diet is important, exercise is important. Both work best together. You can workout like a fiend, but if you still put in 4,000 calories of crap into your gut, you're just spinning your wheels.

- diet foods are bullshit.... all of them.... understand how different fats work, and most importantly how sugar works. There are basically three things that make commercially produced foods taste good - fat, sugar and salt. Fat free foods simply replace fat with salt and sugar. While fat intake needs to be monitored, not watching your sugar intake will kill weight loss.... LEARN TO READ LABELS and understand what you are eating

- Supplements. Hold off on trying anything right off the bat - again, Time and Commitment. Let yourself get adjusted to healthier eating and working out/sports. From there, there a ton of products you can use, protein supplementation/multivitamins being the basics.

- take advice with a grain of salt, including mine. I'm not an expert, a lot of this is new to me too. You can learn from others experience but always take time to read and do your own research. There are some good guys on this board you can help you, some know more than others, but take the time to understand why someone says something (i.e. you can't lose weigh and gain muscle - not true at all - read the post by A790 I linked above)

911sc
12-10-2009, 02:13 AM
My friend had a desk job and gained lots of weight from sitting around all day, he made one simple change which helped him over the long run... He traded his office chair for one of those exercise balls. I mean this isn't going to help you drop 20lbs in a week but over the long run he has improved his posture, lost weight and toned his abs. Just a small suggestion. He kept his chair around and still spends uses it once in a while but most of the time he sits on the ball.