PDA

View Full Version : Good car starter?

Sally.Simpson
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Looking for an auto car starter for winter. Want a basic 2 way, anti-grind, lock/unlock. Don't need fancy LEDs or alarm.

I like this computar from Future shop: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10111212&catid=

It's $229, apparently includes installation, although vaguely says "additionall charges may apply".

Also found an independant who can install a similar compustar for $400.

There's a clear price difference there... I suspect it is because FS has hidden costs.

Does anyone have any comments or other recommendations?

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey Sally, welcome back! :D

Additional charges likely include immobilizer, etc. depending on your car, type of transmission and so on. Just call them up and find out exactly what you need for your application.

FiveFreshFish
12-07-2009, 02:35 PM
These guys are good: http://www.araautoaccessories.com/

Click on the "Specials" on the left side of the web page.

403ep3
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
If your car is 2000 or older you will need an immobolizer? $100 + $60 for labour

If you want keyless that's extra
If you want any extras, they are extra lol

max_boost
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Sally.Simpson
Looking for an auto car starter for winter. Want a basic 2 way, anti-grind, lock/unlock. Don't need fancy LEDs or alarm.

I like this computar from Future shop: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10111212&catid=

It's $229, apparently includes installation, although vaguely says "additionall charges may apply".

Also found an independant who can install a similar compustar for $400.

There's a clear price difference there... I suspect it is because FS has hidden costs.

Does anyone have any comments or other recommendations?

Those were my exact needs too. I didn't want the alarm to mess around with.

I went to SpeedTech and got a Compu-Star 2 way remote starter only and it's been awesome especially with this cold snap. Now I paid $600 for mine (seems a bit high) but I only cared that the installation was going to be clean and I know they will back up any problems I might have. They hooked up a turbo timer, anti-grind, keyless entry and bypassed the 'transponder' (3rd key in ignition or something).

You should call them up, tell them your make/model and they should be able to give you a price.

You should also call ARA Auto because if it's suggested by FiveFreshFish, you know they are a good shop.

A 3rd option would be Autotech Performance & Security Ltd as they were recommended by several OG's in this forum.

Those are definitely the 3 places to go.

TE4MFaint
12-07-2009, 04:47 PM
What kind of vehicle is it going into?

I have owned Compustar, Viper, and Autostart.

Will only own Autostart from now on.

Try the AS2462twv. Great starter. Highly recommend it.

jdm_eg6
12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
depending on the year/make/model of car those costs usually include:

immobilizer bypass (usually module is 100$, and install is around 60)
keyless entry bypass (any car with power locks 60$ usually)
some sort of shop supplies charge (from 15-30$)

So take your 229 and turn it into around $460 for that package. The immobilizer is only required for newer cars (Chances are if you have a key FOB or your key does not seem flat then you have one.)
(if you have power locks {from a key} add the 60)

essentially if you own a 1994 civic CX with no power anything you will pay 229.

Sally.Simpson
12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
What kind of vehicle is it going into?

I have owned Compustar, Viper, and Autostart.

Will only own Autostart from now on.

Try the AS2462twv. Great starter. Highly recommend it.

What installer would you recommend?

Model is 2005 Ford Freestar.

TE4MFaint
12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
PM old man audio

Name is Sean.
Great installer. Would highly recommend to anyone.

spankingmonkey
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
get the compustar and get it installed by a pro. mine was done by a friend who works for dealer. and get it fully done with all the bells and whistles it's worth it. Should cost you less than $500 that should be installed as well

im sure someone can recommend an installer here

al-ti2d
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
the guys down at alarmtec (right beside T&T Honda) did my compustar for me. i've been extremely happy with it, no problems at all.

Spoons
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I work at Future Shop, yes we suck at times with our pricing, it's okay, I just like electronics and this is a job. Probably the less threatening sales guy there (Hell I walk customers from our Sony eBook readers because the Kindle is kick ass).

Never the less you are right, it isn't $229.99. In a sense, yes that is a price, but starting from. That would be the cost in a 91 Civic with no security systems.

Price for most new cars, roughly 2000+ for a two-way CompuStar is $500 including taxes here.

This includes:
Starter: $229.99
Bypass: $99.99
Bypass Labour: $60.00
OEM Alarm Integration: $29.99
Power Doors & Unlock: $49.99

Yep...

Sean was mentioned above, I'm pretty sure he worked here before. Awesome guy and does a great job. I believe he will even come to your house if you have a garage.

403ep3
12-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Haha I work at FS too and I was surprised with everything that adds up just to get a damn car starter. :poosie:

dj_rice
12-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by al-ti2d
the guys down at alarmtec (right beside T&T Honda) did my compustar for me. i've been extremely happy with it, no problems at all.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sydney is the man

TE4MFaint
12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
God damn everyone in Calgary uses compustar.
Am I the only one that absolutely hates them?
I have nothing but headaches with them.