PDA

View Full Version : New Home: DIY Pre-Wiring?

bobafixed
12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey all,

We just finished all the paperwork for our new house and are waiting for construction to begin sometime this month. One thing that we didn't upgrade (which I kind of regret now), was running cat6 cabling throughout the house.

Disregarding insurance if I injure myself, I was wondering once the framing goes up... would it be possible for me to run the cables myself? I figure so long as the cables don't get in the way, they'll just go ahead and drywall over it. Will the builder/electrician give me crap about it?

I'd really like to have a cable in each room and have it all connect to a closet in the basement.

Anyone have experience with this?

Nufy
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Talk to your const super, once you figure out who it is.

Sometimes if you keep reminding them they will call you with a 2-3 day window where you can com in and run what you need.

At least it happen that way when my buddy built in Mckenzie town a few years back.

We got in a few days before teh electricians and ran cat 5 and cable where ever he wanted it.

Also laid out speaker wire in his TV room for wall mount speakers.

Some may let you, some may tell you to piss off.

yoda124
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
just did mine last week...cat6, internet, and speaker wire to every room of the house. Initially the builder said no but after telling him I had a licensed electrican friend helping me he was ok with it.

bobafixed
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Hmm, perhaps I will also have a "licensed electrician friend" too if they give me a hard time?
:D

ercchry
12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
you do not need an electrician to run low voltage lines :nut:

danno
12-07-2009, 09:23 PM
i've found that most house builders don't let you do any wiring yourself. but some let a licensed electrician do it, only thing you can do is call and ask. if you need someone let me know i can do it for ya

bobafixed
12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
you do not need an electrician to run low voltage lines :nut:

I'm more afraid of an electrician noticing my cables lying around and going "WTF is this???" ;)

ercchry
12-07-2009, 09:43 PM
if they dont go for you running your own shit, see if they will toss some pull strings in the wall for you so you can easily do it later once everything is complete

danno
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
the reason i hear you won't be allowed to pull the wires is the home builders insurance won't cover you. that's why a licensed electrician has to do it. i've wired lots of houses and i don't worry about the low voltage so i wouldn't worry about that.

bignerd
12-07-2009, 10:49 PM
You also have to do it on their schedule-if you hold them up at all they will freak.

2002civic
12-08-2009, 07:54 AM
make sure you contact them and don't just do it...today mor ethan likely your builder will say no, at least Baywest did with us

HuMz
12-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I doubt the builder would allow it either, im a licensed electrican building my own house right now through Heartland and they might not let me even wire up the Space saving Microwave so I can save 300+ bucks.

They picky about using there contracted sub-trades who they use on a regular basis.

masoncgy
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Most builders don't allow the homeowner to do anything other than pay for the house and take possession of it.

They won't warranty any work that is not done by their specific trades... so if you go in and do your own low voltage wiring, you're on the hook for any costs should something not be done correctly.

Tik-Tok
12-13-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm surprised they would let anyone do this, when they offer the service themselves for a fee.

It'd be like taking your car to get the tires rotated, then walking in and saying "Hey, while it's up on the lift, I'm just going to just change my own oil, and you won't get a cent for it".

masoncgy
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
^ You got it.

Builders make big bucks on the low voltage stuff... lots of mark up... it's like any upgrade to a new build, the builder has far stronger profit margins on that stuff, rather than the lot & structure itself.