PDA

View Full Version : Police report for fender bender?

RecoilS14
12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
So i was involved in a minor accident this evening, and this being the first time being at fault, is it normal for the other party to file a police report? This is the first I have heard of this.

There was only minor damage to their vehicle and I offered to pay out of my pocket to fix the damage. My deductible will cost me more than it will cost to repair the damage, so i figured i would make the offer instead of having it go on my record. Save him time and me money. So if this isn't a mandatory procedure in Alberta, wtf?

Zero102
12-07-2009, 11:31 PM
This has been covered 1000 times, oh, speaking of 1000, you need a police report when the combined damage is over $1000, which, almost every single time it is.

Kloubek
12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
^^^ indeed.

But just because a police report was filed, doesn't mean it has to go through insurance. Talk to the person you hit, and try to have it worked out. If it is minor damage, that is usually your best (cheapest) bet.

UndrgroundRider
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
It depends on the amount of damage. Anything over $1000 needs to be reported. It's not a bad idea to report lesser accidents if you think the other guy is going to scam you, or if there are injuries.

gqmw
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
This has been covered 1000 times, oh, speaking of 1000, you need a police report when the combined damage is over $1000, which, almost every single time it is.

Exactly, filing police report doesn't mean you have to go through insurance. They need a police report so they can get their vehicle fixed, but you don't need to go through insurance. Work things out with the other party.

RecoilS14
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the help

RecoilS14
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Just one more question here guys.

Whose collision policy is counted for the repairs of the other party's vehicle if i take this through insurance? His or Mine? I know my rate will go up regardless, i'm just curious.

tom_9109
12-09-2009, 10:16 AM
If you are in a collision with another vehicle and it is your fault his collision pays for the repairs and then subrogate against your insurance policies 3rd party liability to recover the repair costs. *If he carries collision, if not he'll have to go straight to your insurance company*

Tomaz
12-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Both parties should inform insurance companies. Then let them sort it out.

Even if your insurance company contacts you, you can pay for the damages out of pocket instead of making a claim.