PDA

View Full Version : Iphone upgrade, unlock question

GoChris
12-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I have an Iphone 3G, borrowing it to try out, know nothing about the iphones much.

Anyway it's version 2.2 and firmware 2.28.

I want to unlock it to use my Bell sim. Should I upgrade to 3.x then unlock? Or just keep it at 2.2, 3.x is probably better right?

What are the steps for unlocking then? I tried to download quickpwn but link is dead, but I don't think this is needed if I'm going to go to 3.x.

Also I'll need itunes installed right to upgrade?

Zero102
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
If you upgrade to the latest firmware in stock form you will not be able to unlock. There is a lot to learn about this, I suggest reading up on the hackint0sh forum, because the quantity of mis-information you will get here is dangerous.

GoChris
12-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Alright thanks, I'll research more. I know it's an older firmware so it completely unlockable, so I don't want to upgrade just yet to something I don't know will work.

I've found this and am reading.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2311

Zero102
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
That's a start, basically if you upgrade the baseband you could be screwed. Plan out what you are going to do before updating anything at all on it.

Thaco
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
keep in mind if you dont upgrade it you'll have a tough time getting anything from the app store, most apps don't work with non-current firmware.

Dr_Funk
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
As far as I know, the latest blackra1n can unlock the latest 3.2.1 and baseband 05.11.07. Check out this website:

http://www.redmondpie.com/unlock-iphone-3.1.2-firmware-with-blacksn0w-9140082/

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Funk
As far as I know, the latest blackra1n can unlock the latest 3.2.1 and baseband 05.11.07. Check out this website:

http://www.redmondpie.com/unlock-iphone-3.1.2-firmware-with-blacksn0w-9140082/

Correct, my iphone is completely updated and Blackrain did what I needed it to do. :thumbsup:

jav_
12-09-2009, 04:02 AM
im overseas right now using my blackra1ned iphone

scat19
12-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
If you upgrade to the latest firmware in stock form you will not be able to unlock. There is a lot to learn about this, I suggest reading up on the hackint0sh forum, because the quantity of mis-information you will get here is dangerous.

Wrong.

I've told you this before, stop posting up shit you don't know about.

You can unlock and jailbreak the latest modem and firmware.

GoChris
12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by scat19

Wrong.

Not that this relates much to my question, but what is with the week 40+ (or whatever) iPhone 3GS's? My friend is looking for an iPhone and he says if he gets a new one he can't jailbreak it without tether?

So back to my question, I should just follow a guide that says to upgrade to the latest 3.1.2 and jailbreak, unlock?

Zero102
12-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by scat19

Wrong.

Good to know

scat19
12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

Not that this relates much to my question, but what is with the week 40+ (or whatever) iPhone 3GS's? My friend is looking for an iPhone and he says if he gets a new one he can't jailbreak it without tether?

So back to my question, I should just follow a guide that says to upgrade to the latest 3.1.2 and jailbreak, unlock?

Some reports are floating around that the latest batch of iPhones cannot be jailbroken... It didn't concern me as mine was a July model, don't know too much about it or how to figure out which ones can't - sorry.

xsellize.com

modmyi.com

two good sites I frequent.

derpderp
12-10-2009, 05:59 AM

GoChris
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys, I upgraded to 3.1.2 and it's now jailbroken and unlocked. Verified it works with my Bell sim.

Zero102
12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
Besides can't you get charged for flipping your SIM cards like that, I had someone tell me that they put there SIM card from anther phone into a friends iPhone and got a bill for $40, that was without going into the store, the network automatically knew what they did. Don't know if this is so true though.

Can't speak about anyone else, but with rogers they have no idea you have even moved the SIM card, they don't check your IMEI (unless it's on the ban list). One thing that comes to mind, is if the friend didn't have data and used the web browser or mail client on the iPhone. Even if they were on wifi, if the wireless is interrupted it silently fails over to the cell network (only notification is that the icon at the top changes) and data usage rates are significant without a data plan.

GoChris
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
My bell unlimited data plan is compatible with the iphone, so no worries.

it's cool, I can use the wifi tether on my htc hero (android) to create a hot spot for the iphone. so now the iphone is connected via wifi to the android to get data to play around lol. kinda neat