PDA

View Full Version : What is this?!?! BRR!!!

westbeach70
12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Heya All.. Hey I have this vent on an addition on the side of my wall, and dang it brings in some cold air!!! Almost so much that its just about too much to walk on the floor with sockn feet... Please see the picture and let me know I was thinking on blocking it off with something but not sure weather it is there for a reason er?? Or how I could go about getting it so not so much cold air comes in.. The 2nd picture is the other registers we have in our house that pull the air in for the furnace, but the first picture is the one that is bringing in ice cold air... BRR!!! Thanks...

Chris

snoop101
12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Does it goto the basement?

Nufy
12-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Do you have a fireplace / Woodstove ??

If so you are required to have a separate source of combustion air for it and that may be what the vent is for.

I had to install one when I put a wood stove in my last house.

If not then I dunno.........

westbeach70
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Nah not at all.. have nothing of the sort... Its just bloody cold !!! bringing in it seems cold air from outside in... And the worse its bringing it in where the thermostat is located so the furnace is going constant it seems! And cannot find where it goes, its in the addition they put on the house...

snoop101
12-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Crawl space maybe? To let air in.

westbeach70
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah i checked under in the basement suite that i live in for the vent and where it goes but i see nothing.. gonna have to look outside under the deck see if it goes anywhere, but yeah.. Gotta do something with it soon, er block it off somehow.. Is it dangerous to block off a inlet from outside? There are other inlets as well for the furnace, just dunno about this one....

Kloubek
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Looks like a cold air return register to me.

A cold air register is what is used to let your furnace "breathe" air for combustion. I suspect this register goes to your furnace, then a duct in your furnace goes outside, and that is where the cold air is coming from?

I know nothing about HVAC systems.... :)

westbeach70
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I dunno i am dumbfounded ... one comes in from outside.. bout a 3 inch and then this one is on the inside that blows out insane cold air... Especially when the furnace is on, when its not on its not much cold air but when it is on, the cold air is insane coming out of it...

C_Dave45
12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Looks like a cold air return register to me.

A cold air register is what is used to let your furnace "breathe" air for combustion. I suspect this register goes to your furnace, then a duct in your furnace goes outside, and that is where the cold air is coming from?

I know nothing about HVAC systems.... :)

Thats exactly what it is....cold air return duct. You could always cover it...but then your ears will pop and the whole house will implode http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/laughing1.gif

westbeach70
12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
K I am really lost... Here are a couple pics of the outside of the house these are 2 vents that pull the air in and they actually say right on them COLD AIR INLET. See pic below... So if i cover this one in the house that seems to be pulling ICE COLD AIR into my porch, chances of blowing up my house are pretty good ?? Totally lost here.. see pic below...

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6633/airintake.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/airintake.jpg/)

Zero102
12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
They actually say right on them FRESH air intake, not COLD air inlet ;)

A couple things could be happening. My guess is that if the one blowing cold air blows more cold air when the furnace is on then it is supposed to be a warm air vent (it never blows from the cold air return unless something is very wrong with how your furnace is set up). Likely what happened is the vent is run somewhere that is not insulated and it is not properly sealed, so it is both cooling as the air moves, and drawing in cold air as it blows past wherever the leak is, hence the cold air coming out of the vent.

I think we are missing some pictures. In your first post you mention 2 pictures, and in your last one you mention a "couple" pictures, but both posts only have 1. Also your explanations are all over the place. If you explain where this vent leads and post the pictures you say you did somebody may be able to help better.

Godfuader
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
We have a large insulated Fresh-Air pipe right next to the furnace which gets very cold in winter. It is for circulation purposes. Is your vent in the same room as the furnace?

westbeach70
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM
nah its upstairs, rigth beside the door when you walk in... I dunno.. May cover it up .. blows the house up... Who knows... Guess will wait and see...