PDA

View Full Version : Click it Heating pads - Rant

jonnycat
12-08-2009, 05:30 PM
These are the new wave heating pads available at your local shitty kiosks in any mall.

It's basically a liquid in a sealed plastic bag. There is a metal tab in side that you push on and click and it causes a chemical reation inside the bag and the liquid solution crystallizes and gives off heat for two hours.

Then you need to boil them in water until they return back to liquid form, let them cool and they are good to go.

Well we bought two, one of them was used twice and the other one had been used once. One of them burst in the pot of boiling water causing it to boil over all over my cook top.

Just letting people know that if they are picking some up for stocking stuffers or whatever, that I personally think they are fucking garbage and you are just throwing you money away.

freshvibes
12-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I remember seeing these at a stand here. He had a pot of water with about 10 of them in there, and was nowhere near to boiling temp. Maybe that's where you went wrong.

Melinda
12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I think they're a pain. Not worth it to have to get out your pot, boil the water, boil the thing, cool it down, then put it all away. I have one and never use it. Opt for the magic bag type things. At least there's no fuss with them, pop them in the microwave and when they're cold you can either re-heat right away or put them away.

I'm with you, not a great gift idea!

Xtrema
12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
I think they're a pain. Not worth it to have to get out your pot, boil the water, boil the thing, cool it down, then put it all away. I have one and never use it. Opt for the magic bag type things. At least there's no fuss with them, pop them in the microwave and when they're cold you can either re-heat right away or put them away.

Ditto, I opt for the microwave one.

These boiling water ones are more for camping.

bignerd
12-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

The click it ones are for when you are not at home, like walking outside or something.

To the OP-did you put a cloth on the bottom of your pan? I put a folded dish cloth on the bottom of the boiling pan of water so the plastic never touches the actual pan, I had no problems?

signature7
12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I got a bunch free a while back, my mom uses them everyday and has zero problems. It does seem like a hassle for me to use so If it wasn't free i wouldn't take them, just wondering op, how much do they go for?

Rat Fink
12-08-2009, 11:01 PM

1-Bar
12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I got a few of them, no issues....yeah, the dish cloth in pan helps. The only :guns: :guns: time is when I carry it in a bag and it "clicks" by accident and there goes all the heat.....BTW you can barter for a better price, got the lower back one, leg/arm and 2 small ones for about $55

v2kai
12-08-2009, 11:07 PM
the reaction is cool lol i remember my mom buying these way back... but other than that, yup fail:thumbsdow

Vagabond142
12-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Call me old school, but for a heating pad, i use:

http://www.firstaidwarehouse.co.uk/pic/280x280/07/71/hot_water_bottle_771.jpg

Boil water, pour in, let cool for about 5 mins, rock n roll :D And they fucking LAST. I got one for a christmas gift when I had a dicky back in high school (kicked in the back accidentally at a tae kwon do tournament, slipped 3 discs and still have small aches and pains to this day)... over 12 years ago... and it JUST got a tiny hole in it this past week.. and that's using it twice a week, sometimes 3 times a week, for 12 years :D

Melinda
12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Boil water, pour in, let cool for about 5 mins, rock n roll :D And they fucking LAST. I got one for a christmas gift when I had a dicky back in high school (kicked in the back accidentally at a tae kwon do tournament, slipped 3 discs and still have small aches and pains to this day)... over 12 years ago... and it JUST got a tiny hole in it this past week.. and that's using it twice a week, sometimes 3 times a week, for 12 years :D
I agree with this. I have one that I slept with while I was pregnant and I adore it. I still use it a lot. I got a dollar store one and it's still awesome almost 2 years later. Even just letting the hot tap run for a min before filling it gets it more than hot. Stays that way for a long time too!

Canucks3322
12-09-2009, 12:09 AM
What the hell is a dicky??

They're for when it's not convenient to microwave or boil a bag you morons...get it? Like if you go camping or say you go to a sports tournament and hurt yourself. :banghead:

Vagabond142
12-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Definition time!

Word: "dicky"
Origin: British english
Meaning: dicky = wonky. Okay, not the best definition, but dicky means abnormal in the roughest sense. So, for example, an American would say that they have chronic back pain. I say that I have a dicky back. They both mean the same, just two forms of English :P

And I'm not a moron -_- A heating pad is a heating pad, no matter the intended usage.

jwslam
12-09-2009, 10:15 AM
i'm glad those chemical reaction ice pads are one use only... :dunno:

jonnycat
12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

The click it ones are for when you are not at home, like walking outside or something.

To the OP-did you put a cloth on the bottom of your pan? I put a folded dish cloth on the bottom of the boiling pan of water so the plastic never touches the actual pan, I had no problems?

Nope, no Instructions in the box and they never said I needed a cloth. Just toss it in some boiling water.

Originally posted by Rat Fink
haha, did you buy them from the creepy foreign dude in park place mall? I walked by and he held one of them out to me and asked "would you like to try?" I didn't know what the fuck it was and certainly wasn't going to "try" anything that dozens of other people probably tried in the last hour. One of my other friends was way too nice so she got the demonstration. haha what a fucking ghetto experience

I bought them from the foreign chick. Most of the kiosks in Park place are hosted by some creppy fucking tools. There's one by Chatters and the Source that runs out to get my wifes attention every fucking time to show her some lotion. The guy must figure he's Don Jaun fucking Demarco, with the faggy ponytail and effeminate attitude.

Originally posted by Vagabond142

FUCK ME!!

I forgot I owned one of these for the last 13 years. :facepalm: :rofl:

jonnycat
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

They're for when it's not convenient to microwave or boil a bag you morons...get it? Like if you go camping or say you go to a sports tournament and hurt yourself. :banghead:

These seem to put out much more heat than most things I've tried and last longer. I need as hot as I can stand for as long as possible. Didn't buy for convenience.

spikerS
12-09-2009, 10:56 AM
we bought a bunch from MEC like 2 years ago. they are filled with a green liquid and are about 4"x6" in size, and we have had zero issues with them. we take them camping, or to out door events and we love em.

I dont know about the quality for the ones in the mall, but the ones i got from MEC are still going strong! :thumbsup:

Thaco
12-09-2009, 11:03 AM
sounds like the OP didn't RTFM

My wife sold these through passion parties and never had an issue with a single one.

project240
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I've used these in the past also and I think they are great to take with you when you're going out snowboarding or similar activities.

The ones you purchased from the mall may just be junk. Lee Valley sells them and practically everything they sell is very good quality.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=52295&cat=2,40725,45454

jonnycat
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
sounds like the OP didn't RTFM

My wife sold these through passion parties and never had an issue with a single one.

TWNFM