PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be my winter beater.........

soloracer
12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Tired of parking my truck outside at work I've decided to hunt down an awd daily driver that with decent tires will be good in winter and fit in my parkade. Here is what I have settled on:

soloracer
12-08-2009, 09:01 PM
These things are an amazing deal right now. With simple mods a reliable 500+ HP is there for the taking.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Not much of a "beater" but ok.

n1zm0
12-08-2009, 09:02 PM
i dont see it fairing much better than a truck in the half meter high snow drifts from last weekend we had on our roads, but it would be awesome to see!

baller!, why not the volvo? :D

That.Guy.S30
12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
fuckin sweet!

edit: is your 944 a wallet killer? just curious

soloracer
12-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
i dont see it fairing much better than a truck in the half meter high snow drifts from last weekend we had on our roads, but it would be awesome to see!

baller!

The truck is much better in deep snow no doubt. For those deep snow days I will still drive the truck and freeze my ass off in the parking lot. For the other 99% of the days I'll park the new toy in the warm underground parkade. It's a good trade off.

FiveFreshFish
12-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Didn't know that snow was problem in Zimbabwe.

soloracer
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
fuckin sweet!

edit: is your 944 a wallet killer? just curious

Porsche 951 repairs can make a definite dent in your wallet. Mine is no exception.

As for the Volvo - it's not AWD and after driving all the way from LA with no heat I'm not keen on driving it in the winter. *lol*

Benny
12-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Not much of a "beater" but ok.

Haha I wonder how long it will be until some fucking idiot plows into the back of it. I could never drive something worth that much with how dumb most of this city is in the snow.

soloracer
12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Haha I wonder how long it will be until some fucking idiot plows into the back of it. I could never drive something worth that much with how dumb most of this city is in the snow.

That's just it....these cars are now in the low $40k range from the US. I bet half the new cars on the streets are worth more and not nearly as much fun.

rage2
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
The truck is much better in deep snow no doubt. For those deep snow days I will still drive the truck and freeze my ass off in the parking lot. For the other 99% of the days I'll park the new toy in the warm underground parkade. It's a good trade off.
You're not gonna have problems on the deep snow days with winter tires. I had no problems, and I'm only RWD.

Same reason why I choose my car for winter, 99% of the time, you can have fun. We don't get that much snow in the winters.

colinxx235
12-08-2009, 09:16 PM
what?? low $40k?? how many kms/what year exactly are you talking about?

funkedelic2
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Whaat! thats going to be your winter beater? :eek:

asshole

rage2
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
The recession is over. It's all about having a summer car with winter tires as a winter beater now! :rofl:

nightfx
12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Stop insulting us with these winter "beaters" :bigpimp:

revelations
12-08-2009, 09:42 PM
That thing would definitely "beat" winter - in a kick ass way.

benyl
12-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by nightfx
Stop insulting us with these winter "beaters" :bigpimp:

That is the best part of showing people this pic:

http://www.benyl.com/C63AMG/IMG_0392.JPG

m10-power
12-08-2009, 10:07 PM
You have way too many cars, you still looking at the LS2 968?

I'm looking at doing the same lol, need a good winter beater my bmw is falling apart...

Where did you get it from? You'll have to let me give it a go in the snow once you get some decent winter tires on it, might make my decision faster...

Was looking at a Evo X MR, but just can't see paying that much money for one when cars like that are available for less

nykz
12-08-2009, 10:18 PM
You guys and your beaters... they're 100x nicer than my daily. :cry: :cry:

funkedelic2
12-08-2009, 10:41 PM
haha k you guys have to start calling them something else at least. It can't be a beater unless its 10+ years old with at least 3 issues! They definately can't be 40k and up.

AMG cars and 911's don't count.

Rage - what is that white car sitting next to the c63 in the garage?

nykz
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
haha k you guys have to start calling them something else at least. It can't be a beater unless its 10+ years old with at least 3 issues! They definately can't be 40k and up.

AMG cars and 911's don't count.

Benyl - what is that white car sitting next to the c63 in the garage?

Fixed! :thumbsup:
Both rage and benyl have black C63 AMG's... makes me wanna cry :cry: :cry:

nykz
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Sorry, double posted...

benyl
12-08-2009, 10:48 PM
haha, yes, rage2, what car is that parked next to my winter beater in my garage?

funkedelic2
12-08-2009, 10:48 PM
oh i didn't even notice that was benyl's post! I forgot rage's car is flat black. So the white car would have to be a 335i :)

huanic
12-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

colinxx235
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
haha yah my winter beater is my moms jeep liberty =( sucks being a student altho i'm driving the escalade more times than not so its not all that bad...

Redlyne_mr2
12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Awesome car man what year are you looking at?

Kloubek
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok... you have more money than the rest of us. Congratulations. Way to rub it in. You're awesome and much cooler.

:closed:

JAYMEZ
12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I loved my 911 C4S in the Snow.. Good choice!!

max_boost
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice. That's the way to do it. :thumbsup:

syeve
12-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Beautiful car. You will have zero issues in the snow. Lots of rear weight, 4wd and winters. This is a true winter car!

beyond_ban
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but that is a turbo, correct?

rage2
12-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Ok... you have more money than the rest of us. Congratulations. Way to rub it in. You're awesome and much cooler.

It's a car forum. He's talking about a car. WTF is your problem?

beyond_ban
12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Jealousy is a bitch. Even when its standing next to my ex girl friend, it is still the bigger bitch.

Tomaz
12-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Jealousy is a bitch. Even when its standing next to my ex girl friend, it is still the bigger bitch.

quoted for awesomeness!

Those are some SICK winter beaters! One day, I will join the ranks of being awesome... one day. lol:thumbsup:

Impreza
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
At those prices, a 996 Turbo sure is tempting. Gotta have deep pockets and be willing/prepared to pay if something breaks though, but that just comes with the territory of owning a P-car. :poosie:

My car isn't a typical "winter" car, and I get weird looks when I tell people I drive my car in the winter, but it is a perfectly capable winter car. Car's are meant to be driven, nothing worse than letting your car depreciate, undriven and garaged, over the winter. If you can safely drive it with some good tires, then why the hell not?!?!

jonnycat
12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I always get a kick out of the guy who buys a decent newer car for $15,000 - $20,000 and then gets a winter beater because their future collectors item / too much power on tap / ultra rare compact, will depreciate more / never get traction and be a general mess.

The worst I've seen, was someone with a lightly used Pursuit GT trying to find a winter beater.

vengie
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
I always get a kick out of the guy who buys a decent newer car for $15,000 - $20,000 and then gets a winter beater because their future collectors item / too much power on tap / ultra rare compact, will depreciate more / never get traction and be a general mess.

The worst I've seen, was someone with a lightly used Pursuit GT trying to find a winter beater.

To some people their car is their baby. Not everyone can afford a $50k + summer car, that's where the sport compacts suffice for most, If they want to store them and keep their cars in the best shape possible then why the hell not? doesn't affect you or I in any way (that is of course unless their beater is horribly unsafe).

soloracer
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Awesome car man what year are you looking at?

Looking at the 2001 to 2002 911 Turbo. These cars have depreciated hard - to the point where you can pick up a 50,000 mile gem for $35K USD. That's less than an STi and who here would not consider driving the Subie in winter?

As for repairs, it's the regular maintenance items that will be more expensive (clutch, brakes etc.) The Turbo engine uses the old GT1 series block and doesn't have the same RMS problems the newer 3.4's do. From my understanding they are virtually bullet proof. Time will tell though.

soloracer
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Excuse my ignorance, but that is a turbo, correct?

Yes, it's a turbo. All 996 model turbo's were all wheel drive with traction control and stability management. They even come with heated seats. What better car to have for winter driving? ;)

soloracer
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I loved my 911 C4S in the Snow.. Good choice!!

I considered the C4S as well but the turbo's were just that much more tempting. A simple ECU flash and exhaust upgrade puts you over 500 hp - not something you could do with the C4S.

mowglee
12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
They see you rollin they hatin

Orbie
12-09-2009, 06:25 PM
More power to you, don't see enough nice cars in the winter. I agree that cars are meant to be driven, especially ones that are capable year round. I think people are overreacting a bit though because it's a 911, what people don't see is at 35K USD this thing is nothing. I see a ton of family sedans in the winter alot pricier than this. I have to say though, it's painful to get rock chips on a nice car, maybe 3M the whole body first.

89s1
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by mowglee
They see you rollin they hatin

I lol'd

Also, I don't see what the big fuss is all about. Someday he'll sell that car, and he'll sell it for cheaper because it's lived the life it did.

that gives an enthusiast a chance to scoop it up and start having even more fun with it as a track or auto-x car.

Win win.

soloracer
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

I lol'd

Also, I don't see what the big fuss is all about. Someday he'll sell that car, and he'll sell it for cheaper because it's lived the life it did.

that gives an enthusiast a chance to scoop it up and start having even more fun with it as a track or auto-x car.

Win win.

Only flaw in that plan is that I don't sell my cars...........I just get a bigger garage. ;)

Kona9
12-09-2009, 06:54 PM

:facepalm: Tool!

Dare to dream son.

As for the car.....Murderrrr :thumbsup: :bigpimp: :drool:

m10-power
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Lol, can't wait to see the installation shop that puts on the coil overs and winter tires in CA especially when you ask them to set the ride height +1"

:confused:

I smell a flight followed by a winter road trip ;)

2000TL
12-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Sweet ride!! :drool:

jdm_inspired
12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Great car!!
i love 911's. i've seen some guy in diamond cove drive his black porsche 911 for a couple winters now. i think it's the same year as the one in the pic.

Cody D
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Do you still have the NSX? I've been thinking about buying an Elise this year, but if I can get a 911 turbo for the same price it may be a harder choice. I didn't think the 911 turbo used the GT1 engine so I was always worried about all of the problems the early 996's had.

2EFNFAST
12-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Bragging about car - request for ban :nut:

Cody D
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Bragging about car - request for ban :nut:

on a car site no less. :thumbsup:

2EFNFAST
12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

on a car site no less. :thumbsup:

IP ban; we'll settle for no less :whipped:

962 kid
12-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Great choice, AWD 911s are near unstoppable with a good set of tires. Skip the chip though and go straight for a set of K24s and GT2 intercoolers :D

IP ban; we'll settle for no less :whipped:

You're just afraid of competition ;) a 996tt with straight pipes is just as loud and obnoxious as your car lol

soloracer
12-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Do you still have the NSX? I've been thinking about buying an Elise this year, but if I can get a 911 turbo for the same price it may be a harder choice. I didn't think the 911 turbo used the GT1 engine so I was always worried about all of the problems the early 996's had.

Yup, still have the NSX. The 996 Turbo uses the 3.6 engine whereas the 996 N/A has a 3.4 engine.

Kloubek
12-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Talking. Bragging. Call it what you will.

I overheard a guy at work yesterday talking about his new Corvette he bought last fall. In the 30 seconds I overheard him, he must have said the word "Corvette" 10 times.... as if to drill into the other guy's head that indeed, he was cool enough for a Corvette.

Then today I see this. Someone flaunting his money by calling a Porsche (a car most of us on here could only dream to be our dream car) a "winter beater".

I don't really have a problem. I don't know the dude personally. I think I just read this at the wrong time; I'm getting kinda sick of people flaunting what they have - so they can make themselves feel superior. He clearly made the post so people would oooh and ahh, and think he was super cool.... to which he has obviously suceeded.

I would not expect someone with seemingly copious disposable income such as yourself or the other ballers on here to understand the thoughts of the peasants, like myself.

You guys can all call me out. Call me a tool. Facepalm. I really don't give two shits. Because at the end of the day, I don't need affirmation from others to feel good about myself.

Jealous? Yes, I am a sinner in that regard. I do indeed wish I had that kind of cash to spend on cars. But at the same time, I'd like to think the ability to be humble is worth something. To me, anyway...

Whatever. It's a nice car. Enjoy.

slinkie
12-09-2009, 10:46 PM
^ callin u out...tool :facepalm:

Cody D
12-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Then today I see this. Someone flaunting his money by calling a Porsche (a car most of us on here could only dream to be our dream car) a "winter beater".

I don't really have a problem. I don't know the dude personally. I think I just read this at the wrong time; I'm getting kinda sick of people flaunting what they have - so they can make themselves feel superior. He clearly made the post so people would oooh and ahh, and think he was super cool.... to which he has obviously suceeded.

I know soloracer from a couple car clubs, he's a true enthusiast. He offered to set up track days for the NSX club even though he was currently doing a lot of things for the Porsche club as their VP.

Kloubek
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM

I know soloracer from a couple car clubs, he's a true enthusiast. He offered to set up track days for the NSX club even though he was currently doing a lot of things for the Porsche club as their VP.

That's great. I never claimed he wasn't a decent guy. Hey, as a car enthusiast I can even understand why he would have posted it online. It was just the "winter beater" part that caught me at a bad time...

soloracer
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Talking. Bragging. Call it what you will.

I overheard a guy at work yesterday talking about his new Corvette he bought last fall. In the 30 seconds I overheard him, he must have said the word "Corvette" 10 times.... as if to drill into the other guy's head that indeed, he was cool enough for a Corvette.

I would not expect someone with seemingly copious disposable income such as yourself or the other ballers on here to understand the thoughts of the peasants, like myself.

You guys can all call me out. Call me a tool. Facepalm. I really don't give two shits. Because at the end of the day, I don't need affirmation from others to feel good about myself.

Jealous? Yes, I am a sinner in that regard. I do indeed wish I had that kind of cash to spend on cars. But at the same time, I'd like to think the ability to be humble is worth something. To me, anyway...

Whatever. It's a nice car. Enjoy.

Where to begin......first of all, what is obvious to you may not be obvious to others. The main point of my post was to emphasize what quality of car you can get for little money these days. If I was acting "baller" as you suggest I would have posted a pic of a Ferrari F430 or Carrera GT and exaggerated the cost of it while saying it was my daily driver/winter beater. Naturally I knew people would say "OMG, you're driving THAT this winter" when they saw the 996 TT and was prepared to tell everyone exactly how little they cost these days. By most average people's standard $34k is not a ton of money for a daily driver. I can't help it if someone is below average and has a chip on their shoulder. Would it make you feel better if I said I was buying a Subie or Mistu for $34k instead? Just wondering...........

soloracer
12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
And in your Corvette story I would have asked him for more information on the car, asked if he planned to take it to the track and been genuinely interested in why he bought the car. Guess that is the difference between a car enthusiast and someone with "money" issues. Not to be Dr. Phil or anything but you shouldn't let your obvious prejudice cloud your judgement of people. It's well known that I don't like RHD vehicles on our roads - I've probably angered a number of people here with my position. However, doesn't mean I hate the owners or the cars themselves. I actually would love an R32 skyline.....just with the steering wheel on the left is all.

Kloubek
12-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I can't help it if someone is below average and has a chip on their shoulder.

Ahhh... see... that says it all right there. Sir, I am not "below average". Nor is anyone else with less money than you. You might be surprised to know I'm actually doing quite well for myself... just not quite to your own level. You don't know this, because I don't announce it to everyone.

As I already said, it is a nice car - and being that this is a car enthusiast forum, I don't even fault you for putting it up, really. It is just the manner in which it was presented that I questioned. If someone posted a 35k "winter beater" of any other sort, I would question their motives too.

It's ok man... you can admit you are flaunting. It is really nothing new on here... and is not even that bad of personality trait. Besides, for the record, it was just an observation... I didn't expect sirens to go off, and defenses to be raised. My apologies.

Not to be Dr. Phil or anything but you shouldn't let your obvious prejudice cloud your judgement of people. .... However, doesn't mean I hate the owners or the cars themselves. I actually would love an R32 skyline.....just with the steering wheel on the left is all.

Dude, I don't *know* you. I haven't judged you overall, and I most certainly don't *hate* you. I've made no assumptions about the rest of your person, or the car.

Originally posted by sneek
just be slightly concerned about ground clearance.

I thought the same. But I saw a guy pull into the gas station I was at with a non-turbo version two winters ago. I chatted him up a bit about it, and he said it was perfectly fine for clearance. (Which seemed odd, as it certainly didn't look it)

I guess it depends what kind of clearance one would require. Snow like we've had this past week isn't exactly common....

sneek
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
:bigpimp: That's ballin! Such a great price on a 996 Turbo! I'd just be slightly concerned about ground clearance.

That puts my summer car to shame!

That.Guy.S30
12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
thats the best winter beater next to the white 997 turbo rolling around.

solo where did you find the porsche? ebay? rennlist?6speed? those 996's are falling so fast, they probably cost less than a 964 these days.

soloracer
12-10-2009, 12:29 AM

Jealous? Yes, I am a sinner in that regard. I do indeed wish I had that kind of cash to spend on cars.

As I said, average households can afford a $34k car. I'm pretty sure most would agree with that statement. The 996 TT is in that price range today. You make the quote above and then say you are above average income? Not that it matters at all just pointing out that there is no need to be jealous or spiteful. If you want one go get one and enjoy. Hell, even post a picture or two here and tell us about it.

soloracer
12-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
thats the best winter beater next to the white 997 turbo rolling around.

solo where did you find the porsche? ebay? rennlist?6speed? those 996's are falling so fast, they probably cost less than a 964 these days.

You forgot autotrader, aol cars, hemmings motor news, craigslist and kijiji. Used 996 Turbos can be found all over the place for good prices. It's got to be one of the best bangs for the buck out there. You are right about the 964 if it's the 3.6 Turbo. Same with the 993 Turbo. Both of those cars are selling for more than the 996 Turbo despite the fact that as a daily driver the 996 is a better car. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 993 TT for $60k but the practical side of me said why spend the extra $25k on a 993 TT when the 996 TT is better in almost every way except appearance. The 993 TT would be good if you were a collector or wanting a piece of history to put in the garage. Whereas the 996 TT is probably never going to be a collector item and thus will be driven much more.

kenny
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM
The OP is not bragging. Its the two C63 owners that came into this thread showing us their "winter beaters". Attention whores! :banghead:

:rofl:

soloracer
12-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by kenny
The OP is not bragging. Its the two C63 owners that came into this thread showing us their "winter beaters". Attention whores! :banghead:

Them Bastards! All the rest of us can hope for is one of their basket case left overs with blown engines........ ;)

89s1
12-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Them Bastards! All the rest of us can hope for is one of their basket case left overs with blown engines........ ;)

Shit, I'm not picky, I'd have even taken that smashed up Zonda that was posted a few days ago.

:drool: :drool:

JEFFRIX
12-10-2009, 01:00 AM
congrats!.. i so know the feeling since i just bought a corvette last fall.. Corvette, ahh corvette, its a corvette, and loving every moment of driving the corvette. My corvette comes with a corvette keychain to hold my corvette key, ohh my silly silly corvette. Its an awesome corvette ahhhh.. That is all, now go back to ur little cubicle and make sure to read the memo i sent you.

2EFNFAST
12-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

You're just afraid of competition ;) a 996tt with straight pipes is just as loud and obnoxious as your car lol

Nobody competes with my winter beater.

//shameless e-ego stroking contest

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/cold2.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/cold3.jpg

If you note, real men hold their doors on with duct tape; okay, bring on the e-hate, I'm ready :rofl: :whipped: :rofl:

soloracer
12-10-2009, 01:18 AM

If you note, real men hold their doors on with duct tape; okay, bring on the e-hate, I'm ready :rofl: :whipped: :rofl:

Cool! It's awesome that you got it here. How long until she's finished?

2EFNFAST
12-10-2009, 01:31 AM

Cool! It's awesome that you got it here. How long until she's finished?

Now I just have to cover it with a tarp and hope Transport Canada doesn't come banging on my door going 'ZOMG! Illegalzz!! Return to sender!!!' :rofl:

Progress is going to be slow - unlike a factory five (or similar) there's not many out there, so documentation is limited at best.

For example, I'm currently pondering how to install a fuel level sender in a gas-tank that is shaped like a triangle (seriously, it's shaped like a triangle....wtf, lol)

Cody D
12-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Jebus Chris! Do you have a link to the build 2EFNFAST?

sneek
12-10-2009, 01:36 AM

Everybody was just one upped hahaha!

Is that what I think it is? I have NEVER seen an Ultima in person before!

2EFNFAST
12-10-2009, 01:38 AM

Everybody was just one upped hahaha!

Is that what I think it is? I have NEVER seen an Ultima in person before!

Not an ultima - it's a superlite coupe. It basically a lemans group c replica; some on pistonheads say it's what the ultima should have evolved into in the last 20yrs or so (but never did)

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/mslc2.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/more1.jpg

(height reference; i'm 5'7)
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/myslc4.jpg
(hey look, i'm not shirtless for once a picture :rofl: )

sneek
12-10-2009, 01:43 AM

Not an ultima - it's a superlite coupe. It basically a lemans group c replica; some on pistonheads say it's what the ultima should have evolved into in the last 20yrs or so (but never did)

(hey look, i'm not shirtless for once a picture :rofl: )

That is effing cool! I'd love to see this when it is done!

2EFNFAST
12-10-2009, 01:48 AM

That is effing cool! I'd love to see this when it is done!

You may be waiting a little bit; triangular gas tank is owning me at the moment :rofl:

rage2
12-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Look carefully, just ONE douchebag was showing off their C63 haha. I didn't mention anything! :rofl:

Kloubek
12-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Well we already KNOW you're an attention whore! Just one listen to your cobra is proof enough. :)

Seriously though, I LOVE the superlite. I remember when you posted asking what kind of project you should get.... and I think you made the right choice. (I originally thought you should go for the GTM, but was informed they are a POS.) That thing is going to be spectacular.

I assume the white is just the body finish? What colour are you going to paint it? This is one of the first cars I've seen that a ridiculously huge spoiler actually looks totally good on.

Now I just have to cover it with a tarp and hope Transport Canada doesn't come banging on my door going 'ZOMG! Illegalzz!! Return to sender!!!

You got this from the States? It wouldn't possibly be illegal just to HAVE this would it? I would think maybe registering it might be a little tricky... no?

2EFNFAST
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
[B]

I assume the white is just the body finish? What colour are you going to paint it? This is one of the first cars I've seen that a ridiculously huge spoiler actually looks totally good on.

I may actually just polish the white gelcoat and roll in gelcoat - nothing beats 30mils of paint thickness (i.e., very rough and durable). ;)

If I do get painted, it'll be either white/silver

Scope951
12-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Kloubek might need to sign up on 6speed now.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lamborghini/194184-let-snow-i-have-lambo.html

soloracer
12-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Scope951

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lamborghini/194184-let-snow-i-have-lambo.html

Now THAT's baller status..... ;)

rage2
12-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Scope951

WTF? Talk about bragging. Guy is flaunting his money by driving a Lambo (a car most of us on here could only dream to be our dream car) in the snow.

nykz
12-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Rage, I'm sure you could afford a Lambo... you're just being humble aren't you! :D

soloracer
12-11-2009, 01:36 AM
At my choice is better than the guy at 2:10 mark of this news broadcast. :rofl:

http://www.globalnational.com/story.html?id=2322809

gqmw
12-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Man...I was not sleepy and decided to read through all 5 pages on my phone...now my eyes hurt so bad.

Sweet ride though, you gotta post pics with it buried in snow haha!

rockanrepublic
12-11-2009, 01:47 AM
have fun getting a million little rock chips in your paint:rolleyes:

soloracer
12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
have fun getting a million little rock chips in your paint:rolleyes:

The have this new invention where you put a thin film of plastic over the areas that are prone to chipping. I think I might have that done. Would you approve? :rolleyes:

colinxx235
12-11-2009, 09:56 AM
haha so many haters eh solo, can't just say that's a sick ride and move on... btw are you geting that exact one in the picture? That all black combo with the tint looks pretty deadly, should make for extra fun in the dark =) haha

Kloubek
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
At my choice is better than the guy at 2:10 mark of this news broadcast. :rofl:

http://www.globalnational.com/story.html?id=2322809

Ok... I retract ALL my previous statements. Everything pales in comparison to the ridiculousness of this guy trying to drive a Ferrari in the snow. That's just plain stupid; they don't perform well on WET.

I personally wouldn't be too keen on driving a Murcielago in the snow either... even with the Quattro system. Each to their own though.

soloracer
12-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
haha so many haters eh solo, can't just say that's a sick ride and move on... btw are you geting that exact one in the picture? That all black combo with the tint looks pretty deadly, should make for extra fun in the dark =) haha

I didnt' get that one as the price was a bit high. I ended up getting this one.

Redlyne_mr2
12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
^^^ That was a good buy even though the dude selling it looked like Miami pimp. I'm hoping there is a nice F car that drives home with you as well.

soloracer
12-12-2009, 04:10 PM
The car has PSS9 coilovers and it has the upgraded ECU flash so it makes 1 bar of boost instead of the stock 0.7 bar. The Porsche dealer who inspected the car says it's making really good power. On the test drive the mechanic who drove it says it pulled harder than his 450 hp Audi S4. It needs tires which is OK since I always planned to get winters for it anyway. The only real issue is an oil leak that the dealer figures is from one of the oil coolers. I'll have to get that fixed when I bring it home.

soloracer
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
^^^ That was a good buy even though the dude selling it looked like Miami pimp. I'm hoping there is a nice F car that drives home with you as well.

*lol* He sounds like he looks too with a hispanic accent. The F355 was sure tempting but the maintenance on those cars is frightening. Besides if I was going to get a vintage, high maintenance, F-Car it would be a 12 cylinder.

H4LFY2nR
12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
soloracer, that is a sick winter beater. One day I hope to join the beyond baller ranks hahaha

2EFENFAST, use a bell crank with a non-linear motion ratio on the floater arm, and do a little calculus to find how the volume changes with the fuel level height.:dunno:
edit: depending on the vertical placement of the pivot and the length of the floater arm, the arc it travels might be non-linear enough to compensate for the triangular tank

colinxx235
12-12-2009, 08:24 PM
The car has PSS9 coilovers and it has the upgraded ECU flash so it makes 1 bar of boost instead of the stock 0.7 bar. The Porsche dealer who inspected the car says it's making really good power. On the test drive the mechanic who drove it says it pulled harder than his 450 hp Audi S4. It needs tires which is OK since I always planned to get winters for it anyway. The only real issue is an oil leak that the dealer figures is from one of the oil coolers. I'll have to get that fixed when I bring it home.

damn that looks low... are you going to bump it up for calgary roads?? or just use a truck when the snow builds up too much?

soloracer
12-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

damn that looks low... are you going to bump it up for calgary roads?? or just use a truck when the snow builds up too much?

It's been lowered by the coilovers. The dealer even told me that the automatic headlight levelers were disconnected - probably because the car was lowered. I plan at a minimum to return the car to the stock ride height when I install the winter tires. That's the nice thing about coilovers for sure.

soloracer
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Deal is done! Should be shipped to Montana shortly. Next up, tire shopping. :)

Euro_Trash
12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Deal is done! Should be shipped to Montana shortly. Next up, tire shopping. :)

Awesome to see someone rockin the AWD all year round. The wife and I are planning on picking up a 996TT this summer from the states too, but making it a bit of a holiday (flying down and driving back up)