PDA

View Full Version : Dual zone heating

goldfish168
12-09-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm currently building a 2200 sq ft 2-story house. The builder wants $2800 to upgrade the furnace to dual zone. The dual zone furnace would include 2 thermostats, one on the main floor and the other on the 2nd floor. The ducting will be electronically controlled with a damper system to separate the main floor and 2nd floor ducts.

Do you guys think it's worth the money?

People who currently live 2-story homes, do you find your 2nd floor always to warm or main floor too cold?

Tik-Tok
12-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I don't have a 2 story, but most of my friends do. They're ALWAYS complaining about the temp. difference between the floors. Too hot upstairs in the summer even with a/c on, and too cold int he winter.

$2800 seems worth it to me.

speedog
12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Do it - my sister in-laws 2 story with a basement is horrible when it comes to managing heating on the 3 levels.

Masked Bandit
12-09-2009, 09:39 AM
YES.......AND NO!!!!!!

Dual zone is MUCH better than a single in this situation. We currently have a dual zone set up and it is significantly better than our old house. In the evening we keep the main floor warm and upstairs cool (for sleeping).

Now, an even better set up is two furnaces. Our house is 2385 sq. ft. so we were too big for a single zone set up anyway and kind of in the grey area between a dual zone versus two furnaces. I wish I would have went with the two furnaces but considering the size of your house I think dual zone is the best option.

goldfish168
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for your input guys. Looks like I'll probably be shelling out for another upgrade even though it seems kinda steep.

colinxx235
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
definitely do it, we have 2 story and the whole house being controlled by one floor is a nightmare and can be fucked with so easily... I live in the basement and if too many people come/go upstairs it just pumps heat downstairs and my room becomes a sauna =(

Lex350
12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by goldfish168
I'm currently building a 2200 sq ft 2-story house. The builder wants $2800 to upgrade the furnace to dual zone. The dual zone furnace would include 2 thermostats, one on the main floor and the other on the 2nd floor. The ducting will be electronically controlled with a damper system to separate the main floor and 2nd floor ducts.

Do you guys think it's worth the money?

People who currently live 2-story homes, do you find your 2nd floor always to warm or main floor too cold?

My parents house has this. Its worked great for them. They had two furnaces....the ojne for the upstairs was smaller than the other.

RawB8figure
12-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I can agree that the temp. difference is somewhat annoying. Dual zone is the best option, another option would be to have a dual stage fan, so when the furnace is not on the fan will still circulate (at 30% of full speed) the warm air and when the furnace turns on it will turn the fan speed to full until the heating cycle is finished, then back to 30%. This is what I have done and it is way more comfortable in the winter and another benefit is the air should be cleaner.

quazimoto
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Now just don't forget your need a second furnace for the basement if and when you develop it. We never had issues with the heat on the second floor in our old home. I always wonder if the way they do the ducting has a major effect.

The upstairs will ALWAYS be hot in the summer time even with AC as hot air will always rise to the top of the house. There's just no way around it. The AC though will make it nice and cozy instead of sweating lol.

300zxfairlday
12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
DO IT!! It is worth it for sure!

lint
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Dual furnace, smaller unit for the upstairs (bedrooms), larger unit for main floor and basement. You do not need a furnace dedicated to the basement. Basement stays cool in the summer and is warm in the winter. The heat doesn't have to travel as far to heat the basement and the ground insulates the basement better than the walls/windows on the main floor (no walk out).

A/C hooked up to the furnace for the upstairs to help cool the temps for sleeping in the summer. Residual cool air does flow down the stairs and with the new furnaces, the fans can be set to continuously circulate air, helping to even out hot/cold spots. May decide to add a second unit to the main floor later.

Skip the dual zone furnace and go with dual furnaces.

Kardon
12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I just have the 1 floor and a basement, and now that we have a gas powered fireplace controlled by a thermostat, house is always comfortable. Other thermostat is upstairs, without the seperate one in the basement it would be chilly these months.

nobb
12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Our house is approx 2500 sq.ft and the builder recommended dual zone too. I would say it's worth it for a larger house because then you are not burdening one furnace to heat up a large house. Also, there is some redundancy, which was very useful when one of our furnaces went down, but the house was still kept warm from the remaining furnace.

Another useful thing that our household does to save energy is that at night when everyone is asleep, the upstairs temperature is programmed to 18C and the downstairs temperature is set independently to 13C.