PDA

View Full Version : Decent NW area gym?

ShelbyMopar
12-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Hey guys,

Any idea where a decent gym is in the NW?

I've tried a few places, I used to work out down at the Trico Centre in the south and thought they had a great selection of weights/equipment for what I do.

Need a new gym though, price is kind of important.

Any ideas? I don't use equipment that much, and mostly do free weights, bench, squats, lunges, etc.

JordanAndrew
12-09-2009, 06:51 AM
YMCA crowfoot isn't bad. There's also Cardel Place which is borderline NW (near Panorama hills) and they have a fairly new gym. I also found it to be cheaper than the YMCA. Gold's gym is meh in my opinion and they have few locations around.

Neil4Speed
12-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I really like the YMCA crowfoot, great atmosphere for working out.

ShelbyMopar
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
YMCA Crowfoot was like 690 + $75 starting fee :eek:

Little bit more than what I want to pay...

Cardel was $580, which isn't quite as bad, but I've been there once and it was always ridiculously packed.

I was working out at SAIT for awhile (mediocre, but decent enough for what I did) but can't really work out there anymore.

Any other ideas? I just checked out that family centre off of 64th Ave by Deifenbaker as well, wow. Tiny, doesn't even have a full flat bench press bench.

BigShow
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I would consider the YMCA, it works out to about $60/month which is a decent price considering you can join any fitness class as you wish, use the gym for basketball, badminton, etc. as well as the pool.

There is World Health Club Edgemont, you can also look into City of Calgary pools which have small gyms attached.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
12-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I pay 60/month for Edgemont WHC, and I really like it. Good facility, and it's got towel service. I don't think I could ever attend to a gym without towel service ever again.

no_joke
12-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ShelbyMopar

Any other ideas? I just checked out that family centre off of 64th Ave by Deifenbaker as well, wow. Tiny, doesn't even have a full flat bench press bench.

Is this the Thornhill City of Calgary facility with the library/rink/pool? Damn, I was thinking about joining there but I've never worked out there. I guess they must not have a squat rack neither.

NW is a big place but there is Remington's Gym on 16th Ave and Centre St NW. Never been there either but it's beside the tattoo place.

Ajay
12-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I was a member of WHC in Edgemont and I liked it. I paid for the squash membership so it was a little more expensive (about $84/month) but I believe the regular fitness membership is about $60/month.

They have lots of weights and machines but parking can be a pain in the ass if you go around 7-8ish at night. Besides the parking problem never had any issues there. Very rarely did I have to wait for a machine I wanted to use.

Also I believe if you have a membership at that WHC you can use it at any WHC around the city with the exception of the downtown ones.

nonlinear
12-10-2009, 11:51 PM
U of C gym.

gqmw
12-11-2009, 12:53 AM
YMCA Crowfoot. Its a pretty decent gym for what you get, pricing isn't too bad.

Cardel is cheaper, but its farther out but if you do live in the Panorama area then that's probably good for you.

There's a few more expensive ones, theres one in arbour lake and a few other private ones. But for price and value I'd say YMCA crowfoot if you live in Arbour lake, Hamptons, Hawkwood area and Cardel for Panorma, Sherwood area.

jetfire
12-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Goodlife is opening a gym in the nw costco area in 2/3 months. They are generally cheap but i don't know what their equipment setup will be like. I'm waiting to see as i may switch if the price is right and they have decent equipment.

slick2404
12-18-2009, 05:45 PM
^ I thought goodlife was a ladies only gym in Superstore :dunno:

Anyone check out Anytime Fitness in Creekside? Drove by it yesterday said now open, but couldn't find rates online.

http://www.anytimefitness.com/en-us/clubs/2286/Calgary-AB-health-club

jetfire
12-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Friend of the wife dropped in Anytime Fitness and said it was around $45/month.

Most of the Good Lifes are woman only but they do have unisex gyms as well. The one by the new costco is going to be a unisex gym.

urban_chic
12-19-2009, 10:26 AM
whc in northill

bmw860
12-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Gold's Gym in Northland is pretty good. Cheaper than YMCA in Crowfoot and it's got a lot of equipments and free weights. No pool though...

ShelbyMopar
01-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Hey everybody,

Just as an update, I'm going to Workout World in the NE industrial area off of Barlow, rates were super good. $287/year, all the equipment I need, and is surprisingly not that busy considering it is January and people are saying they have "New Years Resolutions".

Give me a shout if you work out there, could use a spot on some days. I skipped about a month-month and a half of working out, feel a bit weaker, need to build it up again.

Starting to hit it hard now that I found a reasonably priced gym.

bobafixed
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by jetfire
Friend of the wife dropped in Anytime Fitness and said it was around $45/month.

Most of the Good Lifes are woman only but they do have unisex gyms as well. The one by the new costco is going to be a unisex gym.

Is this the cheapest rate they have?

Anytime Fitness is the closest gym to my new home I'm building, wont be ready till June. I emailed them asking about prices, but they wouldn't tell me unless I came in. Was pretty turned off by that.

Peacrust
01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
There is a new work out place just off 16th Ave. Address is 1933-18th ave NE. It's called Fit Life. It is $60 a month and there are no initation fees. #403-726-0633