nickyh
12-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Which departments are being hit?

nj2Type-S
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
ouch, that's insane! sounds like early 2009 all over again! :(

ddmmak
12-09-2009, 09:53 AM
WHAT>!?!?! im at Shell now and I am good till 2013.. until GSAP comes on board...

Crymson
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah pretty scary. These are like 100k-150 a year positions. Between shell and talisman, like 70,000,000$ - 100,000,000$ a year has probably been taken from the Calgary/Alberta economy.

Add in petro-can's, conoco's, CNRL's, and others' previous layoffs. It's going to hit everyone.

broken_legs
12-09-2009, 09:58 AM
yeah real estate is going to be fine, better take advantage of these low interest rates and buy a house quick!

Sugarphreak
12-09-2009, 10:08 AM

G
12-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Sounds familiar "Better buy a home now before you are priced out of one"

Originally posted by broken_legs
yeah real estate is going to be fine, better take advantage of these low interest rates and buy a house quick!

rage2
12-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
So.... we as tax payers give them nearly a billion dollars and they lay off 20% of thier staff 3 days later.... wtf? :dunno:

http://www.canada.com/business/fp/Shell+gets+million+carbon+capture/2082530/story.html
What does that have to do with anything? The money was for a Carbon Capture and Storage project, not a bailout or anything. Totally unrelated.

I can't believe O&G is getting in and getting paid on the Carbon Climate bullshit scams.

calgarygts
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by rage2

What does that have to do with anything? The money was for a Carbon Capture and Storage project, not a bailout or anything. Totally unrelated.

I can't believe O&G is getting in and getting paid on the Carbon Climate bullshit scams.

You also think smoking isn't bad for you.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Impreza
12-09-2009, 10:28 AM
What departments? Is this mostly IT?

broken_legs
12-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Carbon trading is going to be the next biggest scam.

No actual carbon will be removed - Comanies will be charged fees on Carbon, and those fees will be passed to you the consumer.

Then investment banks will create derivatives and investment products to make mony and artificially drive the prices of Carbon UP.

Basically YOU will pay for the profits of investment banks, while no real benefit occurs at all.

IF they were actually interested in making a difference the LAW would require emissions and carbon capture and not offer some bogus scheme where "Credits" can be purchased.

What a joke.

But yeah back to the layoffs

Better buy a house quick before you are priced out of the market!!!

calgarygts
12-09-2009, 10:45 AM
IT is hit really hard with these layoffs, everything is being offshored. Not sure about the business side. That being said, I might go back to school to do something more fun that sitting in a cubicle every day. Sometimes layoffs can be a good thing.

Dumbass17
12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
crazy

i'd like to buy a house now

but it's just too sketchy with all these layoffs!

chkolny541
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Yeah pretty scary. These are like 100k-150 a year positions.

these are generally the first to go:dunno:

Xtrema
12-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ddmmak
WHAT>!?!?! im at Shell now and I am good till 2013.. until GSAP comes on board...

Guess you're on JDE side?

Originally posted by calgarygts
IT is hit really hard with these layoffs, everything is being offshored. Not sure about the business side. That being said, I might go back to school to do something more fun that sitting in a cubicle every day. Sometimes layoffs can be a good thing.

So you got the cut CalgaryGTS?

So.... we as tax payers give them nearly a billion dollars and they lay off 20% of thier staff 3 days later.... wtf? :dunno:

http://www.canada.com/business/fp/Shell+gets+million+carbon+capture/2082530/story.html

Just because some crack pot carbon scientist is getting paid somewhere doesn't mean there isn't any redundancy elsewhere. Especially redundancy by outsource, offshore and reorg.

snoop101
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
So they hired everyone and there mom a few years ago from all around the world and now they are back to normal and people still wonder why they get laid off. Im sory if your in IT and you got the job because you know how to turn on the computer you shouldent be there. Laugh all you want, but I have worked with enough dumb ass people in IT to know thats what it is.

Xtrema
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
So they hired everyone and there mom a few years ago from all around the world and now they are back to normal and people still wonder why they get laid off. Im sory if your in IT and you got the job because you know how to turn on the computer you shouldent be there. Laugh all you want, but I have worked with enough dumb ass people in IT to know thats what it is.

Unfortunately that may be true, but the global outsourcing just bring in cheaper dumb asses. No change here.

Originally posted by rage2

Because they have the most to gain if cap and trade goes through. The validity of such market still questionable tho.

snoop101
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Unfortunately that may be true, but the global outsourcing just bring in cheaper dumb asses. No change here.

Oh I agree with you there. I lost my job at EDS during the bank of america days to India and at Telus to Manila. It sucked but I had worked lined up the next day. Most of the time if its being outsourced it takes months of planning, so you will know that you will loose your job well in advance.

Xtrema
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM

Oh I agree with you there. I lost my job at EDS during the bank of america days to India and at Telus to Manila. It sucked but I had worked lined up the next day. Most of the time if its being outsourced it takes months of planning, so you will know that you will loose your job well in advance.

Like I said many times before, Canadian gov got to suppress the $cdn. Even right now outsourcing to USA is a very good prospect.

Xtrema
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
http://finance.sina.com.cn/stock/usstock/c/20091029/18426900939.shtml

Funny that the only press/rumor I found is in Chinese....

Looks like 5000 people globally. If 500 lost in Canada, that sounds about right ratio wise.

Although, that's the low end predicted back in June.

http://layofftracker.blogspot.com/2009/06/10000-jobs-under-threat-at-royal-dutch.html

sabad66
12-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Crazy shiet... I'm glad I'm an intern and don't have to deal with this whole transition 2009 thing.

Xtrema
12-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Crazy shiet... I'm glad I'm an intern and don't have to deal with this whole transition 2009 thing.

As long as you are not graduating in the next 6 to 12 months, you are probably will be asked back - given you got good reviews.

JDMMAN
12-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Layoffs were across all departments. Lots of guys high up were eliminated. The new CEO is looking to hack and slash to make things more "streamlined".... it'll be interesting to see processes/procedures actually get streamlined.

I had to "re-apply" as well, almost got the position I wanted as an expat.... damn Harper for opening his big mouth! :banghead:

Sugarphreak
12-29-2009, 01:02 AM

interlude
12-29-2009, 11:09 AM

Desktop support yes.. but Network Admins, and systems admins are completely different.. they work in the background to make sure everything is working and backed up

Are you one of the tards that needs IT to be there to turn on your machine, or the one that wants the monitor to be moved over 2 inches and require IT? OR are you the user who wants a round mouse pad, so you request IT to cut the mousepad into a shape of a circle? Funny as it sounds, my buddies have experienced everything above. Quite hilarious if you think about it.

calgarygts
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

So you got the cut CalgaryGTS?

Technically not yet, I have an MOR round coming up in feb sometime but I expect I'll be sent packing on my merry little way.

It's really too bad this whole transition thing....to the guy who said that we're probably offshoring dummies, you couldn't be further from the truth. We've been told straight up that our work quality is too high, we're too good at our jobs so they'll be going to india where they can't figure out how to do the most simple of tasks. It's very frustrating to watch the quality dwindle, the morale plummet and customer satisfaction (at least with my area) dissapear altogether. This is what happens when you put an accountant in charge of the company.

Xtrema
12-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts

Technically not yet, I have an MOR round coming up in feb sometime but I expect I'll be sent packing on my merry little way.

It's really too bad this whole transition thing....to the guy who said that we're probably offshoring dummies, you couldn't be further from the truth. We've been told straight up that our work quality is too high, we're too good at our jobs so they'll be going to india where they can't figure out how to do the most simple of tasks. It's very frustrating to watch the quality dwindle, the morale plummet and customer satisfaction (at least with my area) dissapear altogether. This is what happens when you put an accountant in charge of the company.

That's too bad. I remember from a thread a while ago that you were there for quite a few years.

There is no hiding, customer service doesn't matter any more when 50% as capable people cost 10x less.

It is total crap if they are outsourcing the work for this Carbon Capture engineering if the Canadian Government is funding it.

It will save some jobs but you can't expect everyone who's going to be laid off will fit into this.