PDA

View Full Version : Review: Chili Club Thai House (17 Ave SW)

Neil4Speed
12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Chili Club Thai House (17 Ave SW)
(403) 217-8862

17th Ave SW
1904 36 St SW
Calgary, AB T3E
www.chiliclubthaihouse.ca

Girlfriend texted me telling me she was wanting to try out some Thai food, specifically King and I, I did a little research on here and online and found that there were better spots for thai food in the city, and Chili Club was highly recommended so went there last night (no reservations) to give it a try out!

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 7.5/10

The restaurant is actually quite inconspicuous from the outside, an older plain white building with a small sign on the outside. When you enter, your are presented with a very warm atmosphere with candles, dark colors, and splashes of bronze and coppers. When walking to my table I noted the very nice dark designed plates which were really nice. Upon sitting down however, I noticed that these same plates have a certain way of looking dirty in certain lights, it must have something to do with the finish used on them. In addition the cutlery didn't seem entirely that clean either (water spots). I am not a stickler for these things but just something I noticed. Also, the lack of placemats/table cloth was not a good thing.

Food - 9/10

We started off with a Tom Kha Gai. coconut soup with mushrooms and chicken. I am having a hard time explaining it, as everything that I would use to describe it would be contradicting. It was soup was overly flavorful in a way, but the contents inside were bland. It was very creamy however, watery... All you need to know I guess is, it wasn't very good, for myself nor my date.

We ordered the Panang Duck Curry for dinner with two orders of coconut rice. I started eating the rice by itself right when it got to my table, it was unbelievable.. Rice! The Duck curry with the eggplant was absolutely delicious, the serving wasn't very big but was really quite filling. It wasn't too spicy so I asked for Spicy peanut sauce which was delicious, I also asked for Chili flakes in oil, which was boiled up for me (never happened before, its often brought cold, it was awesome).

To close everything off, I they brought me a small serving of coconut ice cream with some fruit (complimentary). It was a really nice closing.

Service - 8.5/10

Service was good, out waitress was attentive however seemed a little clueless at times, and a little annoying for some unidentifiable reason.

Pricing 8/10

Not a hidden gem bargain, however, priced well for the great food.

Overall - 8.5/10

It was a great experience overall, would go back again for sure, knowing not to get that soup.

cooperS
12-14-2009, 12:55 PM
+1 for curry duck and stuffed chicken wings. delicious!