PDA

View Full Version : Anyone built a garage lately?

noogie
12-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Looking to build a double (perhaps in summer 2010).... What should I budget? Anyone have good a contact?

redevil
12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm looking to build a 22x24 double garage as well, probably spring or early summer. Group buy? hehe :thumbsup:

se7en
12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm looking to build a shop on my property...30x30 :)

Big lot for me...but it's in Medicine hat though :(

Kloubek
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I believe that places like Home Depot, etc have kits... do they not? If so, that makes it pretty easy.

With that said, I might be entirely wrong. Maybe they just have plans.... ?

spacerz
12-09-2009, 10:48 PM
^ You are correct. But that does not include the garage pad and labour! it depends on how handy you are.

noogie
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, they do, but I am not one to be building a new garage myself :) Looking for professionals to get it done. I'd have to look at my plot again to find the size....

bobafixed
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I've been reading up all day about DIY garages haha. Check out the Totem website, they have some pricing there, doesn't seem too bad at all.

BrknFngrs
12-09-2009, 10:51 PM
It's surprisingly expensive; when we were looking around last year it was in the $20,000 range all said and done for a standard 2 car. Our lot does slope slightly so the pad had to be changed a bit but it was still quite expensive.

craigcd
12-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Depending on what you are planning to build and if you are doing it yourself will make a big difference. I built a 24x24 garage, storage trusses, 10 foot walls, extended my pad, ran 220v, gas, heater, insulated, and sheeted for about $12,000.00 and built it myself. I would say at least double if someone is doing it for you.

If you are building a standard garage just to park in you could likely do it for 5-7 depending.

Shop around come spring, i think in April Totem has a 10% off garage package deal. I skipped this and went with Star building instead because they were cheaper. Big mistake. They were cheaper because they shorted me on EVERYTHING. It probably cost me an extra 1000$ in trips back and forth, extra supplies, and random BS. I would recommend Totem.

Craig

adidas
12-10-2009, 12:14 AM
The totem package doesnt not include a few key parts...so make sure you take that into consideration as you will prob need another 2-3K if not more excluding the pad.

bobafixed
12-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by adidas
The totem package doesnt not include a few key parts...so make sure you take that into consideration as you will prob need another 2-3K if not more excluding the pad.

Aside from the pad and electrical, what other parts would one need?

TomcoPDR
12-10-2009, 12:26 AM
What about gas if you want it heated

J-D
12-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by bobafixed

Conduit, building permits... OSB or drywall if you want to finish the walls a little bit, any material to make shelves etc. I don't think insulation was included or plastic sheeting but ours was about 7 years ago.

adidas
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM

I looked at it with my dad during this summer so i cant rmr what exactly is included/not included but from the top of my head....

Shingles, eavestrough, siding, garage door motor, electrical(need to route it from your house)...thats all i can rmr right now.

sonnyg403
12-10-2009, 12:39 AM
King Concrete, they do good work! free estimates too.
403 862 4466

Xamim
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by craigcd
Depending on what you are planning to build and if you are doing it yourself will make a big difference. I built a 24x24 garage, storage trusses, 10 foot walls, extended my pad, ran 220v, gas, heater, insulated, and sheeted for about $12,000.00 and built it myself. I would say at least double if someone is doing it for you.

If you are building a standard garage just to park in you could likely do it for 5-7 depending.

Shop around come spring, i think in April Totem has a 10% off garage package deal. I skipped this and went with Star building instead because they were cheaper. Big mistake. They were cheaper because they shorted me on EVERYTHING. It probably cost me an extra 1000$ in trips back and forth, extra supplies, and random BS. I would recommend Totem.

Craig

:werd:

We built one (22x24) about 3 years ago. Bought the package at Totem. Everything was great, enough supplies, no missing pieces, etc.

This year we went with one of those private companies, also bought a package (30x26). Shit was missing, not enough material and all the other bullshit you can think of. Never again. I'd rather pay a bit more and not have to run out to Home Depot to pick up materials when you are half way done putting up siding on a wall.

If you can, do it yourself and save some major coin. Once you get going, it is fairly straight forward. You can have it up and standing in under a day.

danno
12-10-2009, 12:45 AM
i wired up a garage a few months back, let me know if i can help you out.

Dc2_Boost
12-10-2009, 01:11 AM
i own elite concrete and can give a great deal on pads / retaining walls if needed for beyond members 403-383-7076

TomcoPDR
12-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Have to hi-jack this a little... I've got a retaining wall (3') in the backyard... Can I take out the retaining wall, build a garage on backalley level, so in theory I've gained 3' height but looks the size height from the grass (fit a hoist :D ) Would that be to code? Or too tall overall height?

Xamim
12-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Dc2_Boost
i own elite concrete and can give a great deal on pads / retaining walls if needed for beyond members 403-383-7076

Damn man, where were you 3 months ago :cry:

calgarydub
12-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Look here:

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17316

Dc2_Boost
12-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Have to hi-jack this a little... I've got a retaining wall (3') in the backyard... Can I take out the retaining wall, build a garage on backalley level, so in theory I've gained 3' height but looks the size height from the grass (fit a hoist :D ) Would that be to code? Or too tall overall height?

depending on your backyard slopes if the ground is higher then pad u need a retaining wall or u will have huge water problems, so depends on soil grades, and also when u are planing to put a hoist in make sure u tell your garage builder because your standard 4" pad wont do it , u need to be a minimum of 6" because the drill-thru fastners u will need to use to bolt down the hoist to the cement pad wont have anything to hold on to if u are at the standard 4" thickness , ive been called to alot of shops on acreages just to rip out the 4" pads and replace with 6"-8" pads just so they can install the hoist

TKRIS
12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I built one at my last house. 22x22 with an oversized garage door and 9' walls. I bought a package from Totem during a promotion. I think it was no GST, or 10% off, or something.
I spent about $11,000 on it, and I still needed to do a bit of insulation, and sheeting, so figure another $500 or so.
Also, my electrical was well over $1,000. I wanted 220v and a 60amp service. The 10/3 direct bury wire is very expensive, and because of the distance from my house, ended up costing quite a bit. The wire was about $375, and I had to rent a ditch witch to dig a trench. That was another couple hundred bucks.
I can pull my own gas permit here, but I'd be very surprised if you can in Calgary. That means to run a gas line is going to cost of at least a couple grand because you'll have to pay a plumber to come do it. I'd seriously consider heating with electricity. It's not as efficient, but if it's going to cost you $2,500 labor +$1,500 furnace/heater/parts...
You can heat your garage with a couple 220v construction heaters for a long, long time before you'll even break even on that money.

The biggest pain in the ass? Siding.
Siding can be easy or hard. If you're going to do it yourself, make sure you have 2 good ladders, someone to help you, and a good, quick, efficient way to cut the strips. Miss any of these points, and you're life is going to suck.
I was missing 2 of the 3.

If you can rally a handful of friends, I suggest building it yourself. Figure out how it goes together, and draw pictures for yourself if needed, beforehand so you're not trying to figure it out while you go. The package from Totem comes with a DVD that walks you through the whole thing. With 4-5 friends that aren't completely useless pussies, and a weekend with cooperative weather, you'll have it standing in a day, and likely finished to lockdown by the end of the weekend. From then on out, all you need is someone to help you with a few things (like siding). The rest you can do yourself.

s_havinga
12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
My brother owns a construction company, Havco Construction and loves building garages. He has a concrete guy that could come do the pad or just build the garage if the pad is already there. Give him a call, Brian at 403-813-8558.

Tom, height resrictions are always from the finished floor (at least in calgary) so I don't think that'd work but it doesn't hurt to ask!

AndyL
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
And you can touch base with me on the overhead door; Sure I can get you a good deal - and I like to play with the funky stuff personally to fit lifts etc :)

eblend
12-10-2009, 01:45 PM
How much should the pad cost with crib walls? I am looking to build myself next year and just need to have some info.

bobafixed
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM
If someone can send me a PM with some approximate quotes for a 22x22 garage pad that would be cool. I'm looking to get this done in the summer.

eblend
12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
If someone can send me a PM with some approximate quotes for a 22x22 garage pad that would be cool. I'm looking to get this done in the summer.

ditto, me too, with a 1 foot curb wall

anothers10
12-10-2009, 06:14 PM
me three, i would like a quote for 24x24 6" pad

AndyL
12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
You guys might want to think about optioning things out too...

Housekeeping pads are REALLY nice ~2" curb around the edges (smooth transition so you don't trip) so your toolboxes/storage doesn't get flooded if you bring in a car in the winter... Adding a floor drain into the slab is always good (course it's $$$). Scissor trusses and tallest wall you can get away with is smart - means you could bring in a lift later - as previously discussed you're going to need extra 2-4" on the floor if you might want that lift...

Biggest mistake people make is not adding windows (or enough of them) - add them, opaque is great for security (or you can add a film later) but you'll really find you want the sunshine...

Dc2_Boost
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
garage pads vary from $7-$9 /per square foot and retaining walls are around anywhere from $18-$24 /per linial foot so everybody outher has different prices , before u choose you should ask them to show u past project they have completed and trust me one one thing u never wanna go with the cheapest guy out there , you want to be somewhere in the middle of those price ranges, so makes sure u get atleast a couple quotes

TomcoPDR
12-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the answers guys (sorry didn't research it myself, but here's the answer to my own question)

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_766_229_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Business/Planning+and+Building/Home+Building+and+Renovations/I+Want+to+Build/Garage+or+Shed/Garage+or+Shed.htm

will_e_chill
12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I am planning to hire someone to build my garage when the weather gets nice enough.

I've been told that it is more expensive in the winter and you risk problems with the foundation/slab if you pour when its cold.

I suggest we do a group buy.

PM me if you are serious and we can get some quotes.

Thanks.

ricosuave
12-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I would also be interested in this

25x25, late spring, early summer? or sooner?

traviswithaG
12-11-2009, 07:01 PM
If some of you do it yourselfers dont wanna pay to have the building framed for you, but would like a cheap helping hand. i've been framing for 6 years I could probably save you some time and help you get it done in a weekend.

of coarse im cheap because im not going to lug a truck with air compressors saws and guns. Just me my tool belt and my knowledge.

also i'd be happy to answer any question on framing codes or practices via PM

sillysod
12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Built this summer 26x24 with infloor heat and an attic for storage.

I think all in I was around $25,000.00, but I did my own electrical and plumbing.

FiveFreshFish
12-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Make sure you get an 18x7 or 18x8 overhead door. The two extra feet makes all the difference in the world.

s_havinga
12-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Built this summer 26x24 with infloor heat and an attic for storage.

I think all in I was around $25,000.00, but I did my own electrical and plumbing.

What system did you use for your in floor heat? how much did it cost you? PM me if you prefer

Dc2_Boost
12-11-2009, 10:36 PM
yeah i recomend u guys wait till summer u dont wanna get a slab poured in this weather unless its indors and heated , what happends when u usually pour in the winter is the water in the concrete slab will rise to the top and freezze and a few months down the road the top 1" of your slab will start to flake off and look like shit , also what hapends in the winted the ground will frezze and come summer the ground will unfrezze and shift which will cause cracking in the slab if the slab is prepped and poured while ground is frozen , beacause u need to compact the ground good while its warm and give it a good 4-6" of gravel

rockym20
12-12-2009, 12:38 PM
If you aren't very handy and have some friends to help you out, hire a framing crew to put up the garage. They are usually around $1,500/day and can have the entire structure up in 1 day. Wish I would have done that when I did my garage a few years ago. Would have went way faster.

However, you will still have to:

* roof it. Not very hard to do if you buy a compressor and roofing nailer. Unless you work like a dog, it will probably be cheaper to go to Princess Auto or Ebay and purchase some of the stuff than renting it from Home Depot. Also, if you buy the right kind of roofing nailer, you can use it to speed up doing your siding. I did mine over a period of several days (2-3 hours each evening after work). If you do this yourself, there are little tabs/cuts built into the shingles which you can use for guides for both the overhang on the sides of the roof and to properly overlap the shingles as you roof. The only row that takes a bit of work is the starter row. Get that one right and rest is extremely easy to do.

* install your garage door. This is pretty easy to do by yourself. I wouldn't pay someone to do this unless you can find a guy who will do it for cash after work or on the weekend.

* install your siding. If you buy a roofing nailer where you can change the depth that it drives the nail, you can use it for you siding and make the job go much faster. I did my garage with no help. After i figured out a few tricks on my first wall, the job went really fast. My side walls, which had no doors or windows, only took me 2-3 hours to do on my own. Also, don't bother using a circular saw with a reversed blade or anything like that to do your cutting. A set of tinsnips and a small framining square will make the job go much faster and look just as good. Also, getting 2 of the "Ultimate Ladder" type ladders (the ones with a hinge in the middle) will make the job go easier as you can use them to make a quick and easy scaffolding (use a couple of 2X6 as planks between the ladders) to stand on while you are working.

* install your soffit, facia, and gutters (if you put them in). I actually found this pretty tedious and my least enjoyable part of building the garage.

* electrical, insulation, etc. Never did any of this as I sold my house shortly after I built the garage.

Hope this helps you out.

cancer man
12-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I believe that places like Home Depot, etc have kits... do they not? If so, that makes it pretty easy.

With that said, I might be entirely wrong. Maybe they just have plans.... ?

Don't buy from home depot..shitty wood quality.
Stick with Totem.
Make sure you get attic trusses well worth the extra bucks.