PDA

View Full Version : iPod Warranty Question (With personal receipt ok?)

oring
12-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi guys I'm trying to buy a brand new 120gb ipod on internet. It is brand new sealed in box but the seller doesn't not have the original receipt, he told me he can write a personal sell receipt to me. My question is can I bring the hand wrote receipt to Apple for warranty if something happens to it later?

If the ipod is brand new never been used or activated how would Apple know when to start warranty on it?

Thanks.

JordanAndrew
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
I doubt the personal receipt will work. You should try to get the serial number off the guy selling it, then call the apple store to see if it's legit and to see if they will honor any warranty should you have any problems.

toyboy88
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I doubt it as well (with the written receipt) - although if the unit is still under Apple warranty and you need something fixed, everything is stored through the Apple website/store using just the serial number.

Have heard many people, buying a BNIB ipod off someone, and when they needed warranty just showed up at the Apple store, have them check the warranty/serial number, and had it fixed/replaced for free.

I believe the warranty starts on the "original" purchase date, so if he's had it brand new for 2 months, there would only be 10 months remaining.

jwslam
12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
i got an 8gb touch off my brother. he lost the receipt
i walked into the apple store one day complaining about the dust collected under the screen hoping they would do something about it

the guy at the genius bar asked for a phone number. and just handed me a brand new one. the thing is when he printed me a new receipt that phone number was definitely for my home... but the address and the registered name were totally not.

oring
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
i got an 8gb touch off my brother. he lost the receipt
i walked into the apple store one day complaining about the dust collected under the screen hoping they would do something about it

the guy at the genius bar asked for a phone number. and just handed me a brand new one. the thing is when he printed me a new receipt that phone number was definitely for my home... but the address and the registered name were totally not.

You walk in with an old ipod and walk out with a new one without doing so much? that's cool =) So the address and registered name is from your brother?

derpderp
12-10-2009, 05:53 AM