PDA

View Full Version : Help a working student buy a car!

shawn_boy
12-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey guys, ok so i have a budget of around $7000 but i can go up to $7500 but thats pushing it. Im just a part time working, college student so i dont need anything crazy fancy. Heres what im looking for in a car:

1. Sporty looking ( I dont want girls to look at it, and think its my sisters car lol. )
2. quick (as in not slow, but not 400hp fast.)
3. seats 4
4. auto or manual, dont care.
5. Reliable! Im a student with limited funds, i cant have something breaking down all the time.
6. Not really expensive to insure (im a 21 year old male, so im right at the 'wrong' age as far as insurance goes. But i do have a clean record. Not even a parking ticket :D )
7. dont really care if its FWD or RWD. (though of the 2, i like rwd more)
8. decent-good MPG. I dont drive alot, but the less i have to spend on gas the better. But i dont want that to mean i gotta drive a 70hp geo metro lol
9. Comfortable, sometimes i like to go on long drives, so something really comfortable to be in is a plus. (ex. leather, a/c etc...)

Hope this isn't being too picky, im flexible on some things like the leather interior etc..

I appreciate your suggestions guys, thanks in advance

Kloubek
12-09-2009, 11:52 PM
First of all, if your funds are that limited I would advise not to spend it all on your car. Save some for repairs, etc.

So let's say you are down to 6k.

Any time someone wants something sporty (though not all-out "Fast"), and reliable, I always look to Honda. I think a Prelude would fit the bill for you. You could probably find a 97+ model for that price. Maybe an integra? Both have leather as an option. Just watch earlier Prelude auto trannys.... they tend to fail.

sneek
12-09-2009, 11:52 PM
http://autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars_details/HINTON_Alberta_2003_NISSAN_MAXIMA+_3239013.html?srcid=1590567&source=24&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=&r=calgaryalberta&ad-attributes=photos,,&ad-attributes=photos,,

This doesn't look like a horrible deal. Maximas are pretty comfy inside, I think they are okay on fuel and they are pretty quick too. I just don't know if I'd say it was good looking.

rawsensation
12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
First of all, if your funds are that limited I would advise not to spend it all on your car. Save some for repairs, etc.

Any time someone wants something sporty (though not all-out "Fast"), and reliable, I always look to Honda. I think a Prelude would fit the bill for you. You could probably find a 97+ model for that price. Maybe an integra? Both have leather as an option. Just watch earlier Prelude auto trannys.... they tend to fail.

:werd: Exactly what I was thinking 5th gen's fit most of what you have listed or you could go with a 4th, but it's a bit less roomy then then the 5th gen lude.

shawn_boy
12-09-2009, 11:59 PM

actually the budget of $7000-7500 was already taking into account any repairs. I have $1500 put aside just for that, plus whatever i get for selling my old car. With the hondas/acuras etc... the problem i have with them is the resale. Sure its good when your selling, but when you're buying, they often charge so much more than its "worth". I hear the toyotas have lower resale for the most part, is that correct? Any of the toyotas you think might fit the bill? Or am i totally wrong here? Im just going by what ive been told in the past.

shawn_boy
12-10-2009, 12:54 AM
besides the "seats 4" what do you guys think about the miatas? They look like pretty fun cars.

slinkie
12-10-2009, 01:00 AM
preludes are pretty damn overpriced and the h22 is poorly matched to the heavy cramped car

89s1
12-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Might as well throw the Toyota Celica and Honda del-sol in since we're all ignoring the first criteria. :D

bacteria
12-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Miatas are fun to drive - not my type of car though and probably not a very good student car (Expensive to repair)

That's the weirdest thing you can say. He wants a car..

So I found this to meet all 9 criteria you mentioned.

This is a Hyundai Tiburon. So yes it will not repel girls. The vehicle is in BC too. Price matches your asking price. It's a 4 cyl so you are looking at good gas mileage. And they are comfy too.

http://autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars_details/RICHMOND_British+Columbia_2001_HYUNDAI_TIBURON+SE_3017262.html?srcid=6494762&source=27&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=20060918162202741&r=calgaryalberta&ad-attributes=photos,,

Let's do the number, $5995 for car + $1000 for credit approval, agent fee and tax so total is $7000 dead set. Comes in your budget. Get it

slinkie
12-10-2009, 01:14 AM
tiburon is mad gutless...for 7k he could afford a bit more power

bacteria
12-10-2009, 01:17 AM
mad gutless. Hmm not if that's a scientific measure. But if you think he can get better for 7k included all taxes and agent fee etc then find him something.

Give it a test drive see if you like it. Make sure comfort and ride are your top priorities. Girls won't like to be in your car if it is bumpy and harsh. Like the Sunfires and Cavaliers.

If you really want to save money, you could go for this. A dodge neon 1998. Note that the new neons (2000 and above are garbage - so avoid them). You could then spend $2000 or so and get 4 new radial tires, 4 new aftermarket strut kit to make it soft and another $500 for a brand new paint job. Much below $7000. Oh and if you want to spend more, you could get Corbeau custom seats - comfy.

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1998-Dodge-Neon-Sedan-4-door-automatic-air-care-2011-W0QQAdIdZ163357758

Let me do the numbers for you since I like numbers:

Car : $1,888.00
New Suspension Kit: $1,152.00
Corbeau Suspension Seat: $ 480.00 x 2 =$ 960
New Radial Tires: $ 113 x 4 = 452

The components I picked are the ones I would pick for myself if I were to put those in. So total comes to $4452
plus since that car is a little bit old, you may want to add another $300 for premium brake pads for front tires.

All in all you should be set for under $5000 with nice seats, new tires and a good running neon with soft suspensions.

510-Trevor
12-10-2009, 01:44 AM
How about an Impreza RS Coupe.
Has both Fwd and Rwd in one package, seats 4, its quick, and most of all it isn't girly like a Tiburon ;)

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2000-Subaru-Impreza-2-5-RS-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ173901080

bacteria
12-10-2009, 01:46 AM
I must say that impreza is nice. But kinda tight for his budget. Close call.

About the neon I suggested, make sure you don't get a neon if it is model 2000 and up. A friend of mine drives his 1998 neon and is happy overall. Another friend drives a 2005 neon and is not very happy with it. Also I find the 2005 neon to be rather chunky with big butt. And 2005 neon's seats are so firm they are uncomfortable. Either way if you get a neon, make sure you get those Corbeau or some aftermarket seats and get them professionally installed. You will love em.

Oh and look for 1998 or 1999 Dodge Neon R/T if you can. They are a bit sporty and generate roughly 150 bhp.

Impreza is superior though. I don't know if girls are attracted to specific types of cars because when I got engaged, I had a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird which was rusted and looked like **** during college times which was probably 3 years ago.

I forgot to add, If you are an idiot - then look into sunfires and cavaliers. They are both pos. Neons are much better (1998-1999 neons that is)

shawn_boy
12-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Ok i know this is a ways off from my list of requirements, but someone on another forum suggested an early 90's nissan pathfinder. The 4x4 is nice, cause this will be an all year round car, and our winters here in bc are only supposed to get worse. The MPG will suffer, but i think it would be ok since the initial cost of the vehicle is well below my budget. Just throwin this out there, does anyone have any personal experience with these vehicles? Are they as reliable as they say?

bacteria
12-10-2009, 02:23 AM
I live in winnipeg. We have more intense climate here and my mazda 2002 drives just fine. I am personally not in favour for 4x4 - due to gas mileage. So I cannot recommend them. Especially not a nissan and that too 90

P.S: a pathfinder is clearly not going to attract girls. And forget about sportiness. It will be unnecessarily bigger, harder to park. You are a student ya? So that's what I'm keeping in mind.

No matter though. Give em a test drive see what you like. Only you can tell what you like - we can only point you to the right direction. I love the older accords too. You may want to check this one out for sure. Good for long drives with your gf.

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1998-Honda-Accord-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ170285787

vengie
12-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Why not look at an earlier model jetta or GTI.

shawn_boy
12-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by bacteria
I live in winnipeg. We have more intense climate here and my mazda 2002 drives just fine. I am personally not in favour for 4x4 - due to gas mileage. So I cannot recommend them. Especially not a nissan and that too 90

P.S: a pathfinder is clearly not going to attract girls. And forget about sportiness. It will be unnecessarily bigger, harder to park. You are a student ya? So that's what I'm keeping in mind.

No matter though. Give em a test drive see what you like. Only you can tell what you like - we can only point you to the right direction. I love the older accords too. You may want to check this one out for sure. Good for long drives with your gf.

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1998-Honda-Accord-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ170285787

ya you're right, just a thought.. ( used to go 4x4ing years ago, kinda miss it. But its just not practical now.)... moving on :P

bacteria
12-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Jetta aren't reliable to my taste. How about a BMW for $4500?
http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1994-BMW-3-Series-318i-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ160157308

It's a nice car. But you may want to check it out with a friend who knows about cars or a courtesy mechanic from a shop to go with you. It's a bargain if it is in good condition. Definitely attractive too.

I don't recommend Jettas or Golfs. I had one and I didn't like the handling/grip on them. Your call though.

So now you have plenty of choices:

BMW
Accord
Dodge Neon (1998 or 1999) Std or R/T version
Tiburon
Impreza.

Check em out and tell is what you decide.

shawn_boy
12-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by vengie
Why not look at an earlier model jetta or GTI.

ive heard bad things with quality. I dont know if that is only certain years though. Ive been thinking bout one of the diesel jettas (not sporty, but the mpg is through the roof lol).

bacteria
12-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Trust me don't get the Jetta. Rather get a Corolla instead. Look at the list above as a starting point for the cars we pointed out. That impreza is nice too.

jdm_eg6
12-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Integra GSR is my suggestion.
170hp DOHC, leather interior. clean looking car.

Otherwise Nissan Silvia S14

Team_Mclaren
12-10-2009, 03:06 AM
http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1994-BMW-3-Series-318i-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ160157308

It's a nice car. But you may want to check it out with a friend who knows about cars or a courtesy mechanic from a shop to go with you. It's a bargain if it is in good condition. Definitely attractive too.

I don't recommend Jettas or Golfs. I had one and I didn't like the handling/grip on them. Your call though.

BMW
Accord
Tiburon
Impreza.

no offence but your "suggestions" are pretty damn bad....

a 94 318i? really?Neon??? really???? Tiburon?? WUT???

OP: there's a reason why preludes/civics/integras are so popular within your age group. Because they are fun to drive, cheap to drive, and cheap to maintain yet they hold their value relatively well a few years down the road. If your money is tight, modding is the last thing you wanna do.

psycoticclown
12-10-2009, 03:24 AM

BMW
Accord
Tiburon
Impreza.

:rofl:

VW's are unreliable and you suggest a BMW?

What you should really be looking at OP is the Integra suggested above, the Impreza RS, obviously the Civics and stuff and if you are looking at the Miata and other 2 seaters, just get an MR2 and call it a day. Faster than the Miata by a ton, pretty reliable, good looking and leather interior too.

You can also take a look at the Toyota Soarer's/Lexus LS or the Aristos. Not that fuel efficient or sporty looking, but plenty of grunt and comfortable too.

derpderp
12-10-2009, 04:05 AM

gqmw
12-10-2009, 05:38 AM
I say civic for a solid, reliable car. But Teggy if you want a bit more sporty looking, a bit more power, leather?

If that criteria is what you want, get a teg, ludes aren't a bad idea...but people definitely overprice them.

traviswithaG
12-10-2009, 07:53 AM
http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-for-sale/japanese-import-car.asp?ProductID=222&Title=1992-Toyota-Supra

used to own one of these amazingly good cars. comfortable, high 13's stock. fuel milage is no civic but its defintaly better than a 4x4

http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-for-sale/japanese-import-car.asp?ProductID=180&Title=1993-Subaru-Impreza%20WRX

better on fuel really quick as they are only 2800 pounds.
awd.

http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-for-sale/japanese-import-car.asp?ProductID=265&Title=1993-Acura-Intergra

honda reliablility vagina melting RHD.

none are leather but are all sporty and quick. best of all they are realy drivers cars. not grocery go getters. if your an actual enthusiaist.
sorry for spelling errors im in a hurry

Kloubek
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
tiburon is mad gutless...for 7k he could afford a bit more power

Instead of putting down other people's suggestions, why not suggest something of your own?

Tiburons are NOT "mad gutless". I would say they fall under the category of quick, but not at all fast. Like the Prelude I suggested.

This guy is not looking for an all-out sports car. Read his post.

I would throw the Celica in there too. It is at least LESS of a chick car than a miata (which I would never suggest a male own), and is apparently a lot of fun to drive. The GTS model comes standard with leather too, and you could find one in your price range.

The only thing you need to worry about with Celicas are the head gaskets/bolts. Make sure they are torqued down properly.

Neil4Speed
12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
I would consider a 5th Gen Prelude as stated above, seems to fit the bill for you.

A2VR6
12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Another thing you have to consider with some of these cars is insurance can be quite high so make sure you check that as well before you make a decision.

scat19
12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
94 318 is a gutless as they come man!

And yes, BMW's are expensive. with 180k on the clock, you're looking into cooling overhaul right away along with inspection 2, so valve cover gasket, fuel filter, power steering pump (depends if the fluid was changed frequently)

I would not go with the BMW for a first car tight budget on maintenance.

forbiddenera
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
+1 toyota! :thumbsup:

RWD go for an MK2 Supra, very nice cars, maybe a bit old but not outdated. Insanely reliable car.

MK3 supra's are heavy and well, heavy. Probably fun though.

There's also the all-trac celica which is AWD or you can go with an FWD one.

traviswithaG
12-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by forbiddenera
+1 toyota! :thumbsup:

RWD go for an MK2 Supra, very nice cars, maybe a bit old but not outdated. Insanely reliable car.

MK3 supra's are heavy and well, heavy. Probably fun though.

There's also the all-trac celica which is AWD or you can go with an FWD one.

ive owned both an mk2 and mk3 and balieve me 1JZ or dont waste your time..
(LHD mk3 supras do not have 1jz engine)

slinkie
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Tiburons are NOT "mad gutless"

?? i drove one for a couple years...imo was a quality car, no problems,...but it had no power whatsoever...felt just like a sedan or something

lastlatvian
12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
e30 bmw 325isorix, looks good, motors last till about 300,000 if taken care of. Little cashmoney to repair if you don't do it yourself.

if you don't want to spend much on repairs toyota is my fav then honda. Most of their 80-90's cars are quick fun and cheap. Likewise stick with the 4 cylinders if you want to keep gas cost down, 22res or 4age in the toyota line are so good on gas in my xp.

Most importantly test drive them and see which ones you like. I drove a beat porsche 924 for a winter it was the most fun I've ever had. .

kawana
12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Bump for the evening crowd. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, keep em coming. What do you guys think about the 95-00 maxima's? I can get some with around 100,000km's in my budget. They look pretty decent inside, leather etc...

kawana
12-10-2009, 09:41 PM
i found a car thats really caught my eye. its a 1990 toyota celsior. Ive never heard of it before, but from what ive read its basically the same as the lexus LS400. Its a v8, so that parts not great, but its only 120,000kms and its $2900. Id obviously get it checked out first, but it seats 5, fully loaded, looks to be in good condition. Wonder how expensive the parts are though.

Eleanor
12-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by traviswithaG
vagina melting RHD. :rofl: