PDA

View Full Version : Heavy condensation on windows... how to cure?

Redlyne_mr2
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I have really heavy condensation mainly in the master bedroom at home. It's so heavy that it's running through the window frame down the wall to the floor. I'm even finding the carpet to be a little damp. What is causing this and can I fix this?
I have heavy duty alcantara window coverings that are usually down.. could this be what is keeping the moisture in? Is my humidifier on to high?

Thaco
12-10-2009, 12:22 PM
stop breathing

benyl
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I have heavy duty alcantara window coverings that are usually down.. could this be what is keeping the moisture in? Is my humidifier on to high?

Both.

GQBalla
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Both.

werd

for these reasons a fan on the room and opening the blinds helps out

JfuckinC
12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Both.

yah we had the exact same prob at my old house, heavy duty window coverings + too much humidity.

JordanLotoski
12-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I turn my humidifier off till it clears up. Works every time

Redlyne_mr2
12-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Cool cool thanks guys!

beyond_ban
12-10-2009, 12:44 PM
One big cause of this is if your sealed unit portion (the glass on the window is generally 2-3 panes, and they come sealed with air or an argon gas trapped between the 2-3 panes.) of the window is no longer sealed. Depending on what kind of windows you have in your house, you may be able to replace the sealed unit only, or you may have to replace your entire window. Once the seal is gone on the glass, there is really now way to ever 100% get rid of the condensation unless you get new sealed units.

Thaco
12-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
One big cause of this is if your sealed unit portion (the glass on the window is generally 2-3 panes, and they come sealed with air or an argon gas trapped between the 2-3 panes.) of the window is no longer sealed. Depending on what kind of windows you have in your house, you may be able to replace the sealed unit only, or you may have to replace your entire window. Once the seal is gone on the glass, there is really now way to ever 100% get rid of the condensation unless you get new sealed units.

i thought it was pretty clear that he said the condensation is on the inside of the window behind the blinds.

88CRX
12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Defenitely the humidifier.

Do you have a built in one or just one of those standalone units?

beyond_ban
12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

i thought it was pretty clear that he said the condensation is on the inside of the window behind the blinds.

Nope, not that clear. I read the OP and commented, but if its just on the exterior of the glass then just make sure there is a lot of air circulating through the room, mixed with turning your humidifier off like mentioned above.

Redlyne_mr2
12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
yah its on the side of the window that's inside the room. I have a built in humidifier that a crank to high all the time to avoid midnight nose bleeds from dry air, looks like I'll have to turn it down.

lilmira
12-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Combination of two things, humidity and surface temperature.

You can turn down your humidifier or raise you window covering to warm up the surface of the glass or do both.

Tomaz
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Everything mentioned above can be a cause. A list of things I tell my customers:

-Humidity levels

-Airflow

-Poorly insulated windows

If you need to have the humidity turned up, I suggest trying to get as much airflow around the house. Having the humidity "cranked" is going to be your most likely culprit.

To get some air moving:

-Ceiling fans are the best. Open those blinds too! :)
Some room fans on a low setting really help too.

Rstar
12-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I was just about to raz you guys for using humidifiers until i saw the nosebleeds post. that sucks