PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have their Samsung DLP hooked up to a PC?

clem24
12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I acquired a 42" Samsung DLP 720p. When hooked up to my PC at 1280x720 through DVI, I cannot get it to display properly. Depending on the setting, it overscans or underscans like crazy. The only way I could make it work is to set a resolution at 720, use one of the settings in the menu to make it underscan, then use the 'zoom' function on the Nvidia control panel (this is an 8500GT BTW) and then resize the desktop. So I end up with a really weird resolution and obviously blurry text. Anyone else have this issue?

megavolt
12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Most rear projections will require some underscan. On my JVC 70" 1080p HDILA-RP it isn't all that bad, I just leave it and deal with a bit of the sides missing (use media center mostly anyway so it doesn't matter). But I remember it was really bad on my Hitachi 52" 1080i RP-CRT.

I have always been interested in a program that would keep the standard resolution but allow you to set the actual desktop area for navigating in but use the full resolution when displaying video. Haven't found anything yet (surprisingly!). Maybe that's just not possible in windows.

spike98
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
I have always been interested in a program that would keep the standard resolution but allow you to set the actual desktop area for navigating in but use the full resolution when displaying video. Haven't found anything yet (surprisingly!). Maybe that's just not possible in windows.

I dont know if its what you meant but XBMC will change resolution with the startup then back when its shut down.

I have my desktop resolution set to 1024×768 which is the minimum required for my security software to display. Then when i open XBMC it changes to 1280 x 720 (720P) to display the menu and media played.

Once its closed down it switches back to 1024×768. I am certain VLC does this as well.

To the OP, i have a 50" sammy DLP. Instead of DVI i used the VGA input. I experianced the same thing and thats how i fixed it.

megavolt
12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Heh... just realized I hadn't tried this again on Windows 7. Works fine. Have my desktop resolution set lower now. When it goes into Media Centre it goes back to 1080p. When I go out of Media Center it changes back to my desktop resolution. Perfect. :P Of course I still with my TV didn't overscan.

clem24
12-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Hmm VGA input. That's totally worth a try. Thanks!

megavolt
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Don't see why VGA would be any different than DVI, unless it's a crippled VGA port and not getting full resolution.

clem24
12-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Ok so I hooked it up via VGA. At first, it did the same thing - i.e. would underscan on the PC setting and overscan on the wide TV setting. However, I found that if I use the "p. mode" button on the remote instead of doing it through the menu, I was able to enlarge and set the H/V position of the screen as an option popped up! So anyway, I was finally able to get a full screen using VGA and those adjustments. Thanks!

What really annoys me though, is the fact that there's just no magical setting to get the screen to do a 1:1 mapping of the input resolution. Lame. :thumbsdow It's fairly moot for watching video (which is what I use it for most of the time), but text just doesn't look sharp when using windows (i.e. web surfing, etc...). So I guess I can't complain too much.