PDA

View Full Version : Another Real Estate Question (Saskatchewan Land)

project240
12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I posted awhile ago about realtor commission regarding some land for sale in Saskatchewan.

My friend (Amy) initially spoke with several realtors and chose one of them. The realtor (Linda) she initially chose did pull the land titles and did drive out to the land (about 20 minute drive) to take some pictures once. When it was getting closer to list commission % was talked about and was 7% compared to 5-6% that several other realtors had offered.

Amy decided to use a different realtor instead to list the land, not only because of commission, but because Linda never fully answered questions, was difficult to get ahold of and because she didn't give off a good vibe.

Anyways, now 8 weeks later (and 5 weeks after her land has been on mls with another agent) Linda sends an email to Amy saying she is sending out an invoice for her work. 8 weeks ago Amy had called and left 2 messages for Linda to call her back (to inform her Amy was listing with another agent), but the calls were never returned.

Amy hasn't received the bill yet, but is she responsible at all for any charges? I have no idea and I can't find relative info specific to her situation when I google.

Thanks in advance again!!

JordanLotoski
12-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow, very Bold of that agent. Here in Alberta if an agent doesnt sell the clients home/property there isnt usually a charge unless agreed upon in the listing contract.

Tell your friend to read over her listing contract. There is one part that states;

"Seller authorizes the brokerage to obtain the important information on sellers behalf and at sellers expense"

Iam guess the listing agent had to obtain something in regards to the land and now wants to be paid for getting whatever it was she needed.

Or, when she terminated her listing with that agent she only did a conditional termination, which means if your friends sells with another agent within 90 days of the termination the first agent would get paid their commission. (i think thats crap. I personally never do conditional terminations)

If you have any questions please PM me and ill help you the best i can

Jordan

project240
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks Jordan.

I'm going to try get ahold of the contract and take a look through it. I'll let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks so much!!

Edit...

Just talked with "Amy" and she told me that nothing was ever signed. She has a copy of the listing, but it was never signed for, or faxed back.

I'm guessing this means she should be "off the hook" for any charges Linda sends her way?

TomcoPDR
12-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Beyond needs more information (pics) of this "Linda" agent chick

JordanLotoski
12-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah, If there is nothing she signed other then the listing contract and she did a full termination then shes fine. what id do is have your friend call her broker and explain what shes trying to do.

Kloubek
12-10-2009, 11:15 PM
If there was nothing signed, nothing can be proven in court. So, your assumption is correct - she can tell the Realtor to screw herself.

project240
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Beyond needs more information (pics) of this "Linda" agent chick

We could probably find some... but I think she's 55+ and probably not worth the pictures

project240
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
Yeah, If there is nothing she signed other then the listing contract and she did a full termination then shes fine. what id do is have your friend call her broker and explain what shes trying to do.

I'm not sure she did any kind of termination because I'm almost positive nothing was ever signed. Amy got the listing contract faxed, read through it, didn't like it and called Linda, left 2 messages asking for a callback, but Linda never returned the call. Amy started speaking with a new realtor, went ahead and listed and then 4 weeks or so after it's been on mls (and 7 or 8 weeks after last contact with Linda) Linda sends her the email saying she'll be invoicing for her time...

JordanLotoski
12-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by project240

I'm not sure she did any kind of termination because I'm almost positive nothing was ever signed. Amy got the listing contract faxed, read through it, didn't like it and called Linda, left 2 messages asking for a callback, but Linda never returned the call. Amy started speaking with a new realtor, went ahead and listed and then 4 weeks or so after it's been on mls (and 7 or 8 weeks after last contact with Linda) Linda sends her the email saying she'll be invoicing for her time...

Ohhh, yeah call the broker, and perhaps the sask real estate board...That sounds very shady to me, you sure there wasnt some mis-communication between Amy and Linda, or perhaps it was said jokingly?

turbotrip
12-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
what id do is have your friend call her broker and explain what shes trying to do.

indeed