PDA

View Full Version : Maple Hardwood & Dogs

noogie
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Anyone have maple in their house and a large dog? Trying to gauge the potential damage that the dog may cause based on your experiences. Any tips on keeping the maple looking sharp?

project240
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
There isn't much you can do other than keeping your dogs nails trimmed regularly.

Other than that, work on accepting the fact your hardwood will get scratched.

Kloubek
12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
There actually is a whole thread on this. Do a search.

(Not trying to be a dick... it will just save people from repeating themselves)

Impreza
12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I have a golden retriever and a brittany spaniel and my floors are scratched up beyond all recognition. It doesn't matter if you trim their nails, your floors WILL get scratched. Unfortunately, it is a fact of life. Maybe if you had a small dog the damage will be very light, but since you have a larger breed, damage is inevitable. Most of the damage is done when they get excited and want to get somewhere really fast, and since they don't have much traction on hardwood, they really try to dig in their nails to prevent themselves from slipping.

jsn
12-10-2009, 07:42 PM
:werd: We used to have a rottweiler and a Great Pyrenees. Even if you keep their nails trimmed, your floor will eventually get scratched. I don't know if I'd say the damage to our floor is that excessive, but if you look abit closer, you can definitely see them. Just something you have to deal with if you're considering a larger breed.

noogie
12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by project240
There isn't much you can do other than keeping your dogs nails trimmed regularly.

Other than that, work on accepting the fact your hardwood will get scratched.

Originally posted by Impreza
I have a golden retriever and a brittany spaniel and my floors are scratched up beyond all recognition. It doesn't matter if you trim their nails, your floors WILL get scratched. Unfortunately, it is a fact of life. Maybe if you had a small dog the damage will be very light, but since you have a larger breed, damage is inevitable. Most of the damage is done when they get excited and want to get somewhere really fast, and since they don't have much traction on hardwood, they really try to dig in their nails to prevent themselves from slipping.

Originally posted by jsn
:werd: We used to have a rottweiler and a Great Pyrenees. Even if you keep their nails trimmed, your floor will eventually get scratched. I don't know if I'd say the damage to our floor is that excessive, but if you look abit closer, you can definitely see them. Just something you have to deal with if you're considering a larger breed.

Thanks Gents. Some great points made....

swak
12-10-2009, 07:57 PM
When i was younger, at my friends house, their dog was trained to stay off their hardwood floors.

The dog would run up to the living room, and take a dead stop at the edge of the flooring.

It was kinda humerous actually.
Maybe try training your dog to stay off the hardwood?

noogie
12-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by swak
When i was younger, at my friends house, their dog was trained to stay off their hardwood floors.

The dog would run up to the living room, and take a dead stop at the edge of the flooring.

It was kinda humerous actually.
Maybe try training your dog to stay off the hardwood?

haha :D Not sure that would work... my whole main floor is hardwood w/ tile in the bathroom/entryways.