PDA

View Full Version : shingles from chicken pox??

CMW403
12-10-2009, 11:36 PM
iv done some googling and the answer to my question isn't clear.

my girlfriend has a severe case of chicken pox, obviously i want to go to her house and take care of her...

im wondering if its possible for me to catch shingles from her even though iv already had chicken pox??

ercchry
12-10-2009, 11:43 PM
i thought that was mono?

RickDaTuner
12-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Not a doctor, but shingles is the evolved form of chickenpox, or the adult chicken pox.

It is usally diagnosed by a tingling back(like ants are crawling on it) and always feeling tired.
From what I remember the doctor telling me from when I had it; You need to be in close contact with a person who is currently having a breakout, it can also be transfered through dead skin, and used clothes, or bed sheets.

Chicken pox is part of the herpes Virus, of which IIRC there are 152 variants, 12 of which affect humans, 3 that are related to Sexually transmisted infections

CMW403
12-11-2009, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Not a doctor, but shingles is the evolved form of chickenpox, or the adult chicken pox.

It is usally diagnosed by a tingling back(like ants are crawling on it) and always feeling tired.
From what I remember the doctor telling me from when I had it; You need to be in close contact with a person who is currently having a breakout, it can also be transfered through dead skin, and used clothes, or bed sheets.

Chicken pox is part of the herpes Virus, of which IIRC there are 152 variants, 12 of which affect humans, 3 that are related to Sexually transmisted infections

currently having a breakout of chicken pox? or just shingles

RickDaTuner
12-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Just the shingles

Cooked Rice
12-11-2009, 07:28 AM
http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm

soupey
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
shingles can be brought on from being stressed, change in temperature,sickness, anything immunosuppressive. it's the herpes zoster virus that shows up in some people as they get older. it'll hurt and she can get meds to help control the pain from eruptions on her skin...other than that, it'll disappear and lay dormant in her nerves again

and no, seeing her wont give u shingles unless you havent had chicken pox before, which is unlikely (if u were vaccinated or have had it when you were little.)

almerick
12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Got shingles from being deprived of sleep, shingles was the WORST experience of my life. I got it on my face and it only affected the left side, it is quite painful and left scars... :(

CMW403
12-12-2009, 11:01 AM
No iv had the chicken pox already I just really didn't want shingles because iv heard its extremely painful as stated above. Thanks guys

rockym20
12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I had shingles just before I got married. Wife's family was totally stressing us out. It isn't contagious and if you go to the doctor within the first day or 2 of the outbreak, there is a medication you can get which takes care of it. I was over it within a week, although it took a bit longer before the rash on my forehead went away. Wasn't painful for me and didn't leave any scarring.

NoMoreG35
12-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I had shingles and it was the worst of the worsts... I was taking both western and chinese medicines and they didn't help much. I don't think it comes from chicken pox though.

jwslam
12-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
I had shingles and it was the worst of the worsts... I was taking both western and chinese medicines and they didn't help much. I don't think it comes from chicken pox though.

The initial infection with varicella zoster virus (VZV) causes the acute (short-lived) illness chickenpox, and generally occurs in children and young people. Once an episode of chickenpox has resolved, the virus is not eliminated from the body but can go on to cause shingles—an illness with very different symptoms—often many years after the initial infection. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingles)

mr2mike
12-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Had chicken pox late, like grade 6. Then I got shingles after a trip to Hawaii when I was in grade 9. Thought it was a rash or something on my arm from maybe something in the ocean I brushed against. Didn't go away, went to dermatologist and he called instantly.

Yes you can get shingles and I have no idea if I was in contact with someone with chicken pox, to catch shingles or it was an outbreak because of temp change like mentioned above?!?!

I would chance it, it's not likely you'll get it. Just take your vitamins, get sleep and keep your immune system up. You're more likely to catch a cold from someone at the mall christmas shopping.

wintonyk
12-15-2009, 01:39 AM
I had shingles back in high school. Grade 12 I was major stressing about English final for some reason. It developed on my shoulder and quite possibly one of the greatest pains I have ever had.