PDA

View Full Version : pulling all-nighters

smokedog
12-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Is it worth it???? got any tips to stay wake and study??? thanks

Nismorphed
12-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Yes ive been pulling those lately and I went to Costco and bought a flat of redbull

Enhance
12-11-2009, 03:42 AM
I've definitely been considering it as well. I have an exam Tuesday night from 7-10 and one on Wednesday morning 8-10:30... Decisions decisions..

KRZY403
12-11-2009, 03:49 AM
FML I've been spending waay to much time on the forums. I have a Finance and Accounting final both on saturday and I'm not even close to finish studying for any them.

ReflexFX
12-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Ive had wayyy too much all nighters since school started. Too much procrastinating. All you need is determination, and you can get a lot done in a night. The only downside is that youre bound to crash bigtime the next day. Try not to do anything that needs undivided attention the day after.

speeed
12-11-2009, 05:14 AM
that's what i'm doing tonight and probably a few other days during this exam period. :thumbsdow

Rat Fink
12-11-2009, 07:42 AM

msommers
12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Usually around 3 or so I just can't do anything productive and forcing myself to stay up doesn't result in any further studying, just less sleep.

LOTS of water, meat instead of carbs works well to stay up, coffee for some. Around 3, even if I have a cup of coffee, I'm crashing soon whether I like it or not lol.

hrdkore
12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
definitely not worth it...after two days you start crashing and you wont even know what hit you.

snoop101
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I wonder if they ever did a study to find out how much info your brain holds after doing these all nighters. Im sure you will remember it right after studing, but after a month or two would you still remember what you learned?

colinxx235
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
wake up at 8am, stay up til 10pm studying rest before bed 11pm, repeat, can't really beat that, all nighters just cause stress, exhaustion especially if you are talking about the night before a test

dimi
12-11-2009, 06:02 PM
If you need to pull an all nighter the night before an exam you're fucking yourself over or should I say, you have already fucked yourself over.

You might be able to cram and learn all the things you need, but your ability to recall that information is largely inhibited. So you might know everything you need, and then pull a blank out on the test. Everyone knows that feeling.

From one of the psych courses I took, recalling of information falls sharp between 1-3 hours of sleep, and then rises gradually until 8-9 hours, to around the level that you started with. If you don't sleep its a pretty steep line down. IMO you are better getting some sleep. At least you will be able to use some of the information you know.

FlySi
12-11-2009, 06:19 PM
If you have to pull allnighters to study for exams, you shouldn't be in school. IMHO

Study during the day and get your rest at night before your exams like a human being.

97'Scort
12-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by FlySi
If you have to pull allnighters to study for exams, you shouldn't be in school. IMHO

Study during the day and get your rest at night before your exams like a human being.

Sorry bro, when when you're rocking 6-7 exams per semester, with design projects due and your first exam only 2 days after your last day (when all the design projects are due) sometimes it's just unavoidable. I had 3 exams monday/tues/wed this week, finished classes on Friday last week and was working until the last minute on an 80 page design project.

I get twitchy on the energy drinks, I find that those 5 hour energy shots really do the trick though. Don't fast during the night, eat normally. Avoid carbs, protein and fruit/veg are the best. Also set an alarm clock in case you doze off, you don't want to miss the exam if it's in the AM.

Disoblige
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
All-nighters will never work for me. Just gotta study a few hours a day. Who the hell actually waits the night before to study unless they just need to review? I only know 1 or 2 people who can do something similar to that and it still fucked them over.

A buddy of mine did terrible on most of his exams, failed one course, got D's, and had to repeat all the courses he got D's in due to being below 2.00. Ouch, should have studied earlier.

CUG
12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I always wonder what people are doing otherwise (if not at a job) that's making it necessary for 24 hours of action like this..

gqmw
12-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Imo its not worth it...the amount of info you retain is substantial at most. Although finishing essays and such are a different story...those just need to get done and info doesn't need to be retained. Staying up all night to study for a test the next day is iffy...works dec sometimes for a particular type of test and for some people, but doesn't work so well for others.

turbotrip
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
i guess ill be the first to say that if your at that point then yes an all-nighter could be a good idea. for the first 3 years of uni thats the only way i studied; but be warned you will definitely run into those situations where your brain will freeze and you wont be able to recall any of what you just read

FiveFreshFish
12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Rest is overrated. Better to pull an all-nighter and know something for the exam than it is to go in rested knowing nothing.

dandia89
12-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Rest is overrated. Better to pull an all-nighter and know something for the exam than it is to go in rested knowing nothing.

i don't get why you won't know anything? didn't you do assignments, pay attention in class or do any reports?

ive never had to do all nighters and i'm in my third year of school. the lastest was probably 2am finishing up a report after a midterm, but thats about it. It's all time managment

princeaidin
12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

Sorry bro, when when you're rocking 6-7 exams per semester, with design projects due and your first exam only 2 days after your last day (when all the design projects are due) sometimes it's just unavoidable. I had 3 exams monday/tues/wed this week, finished classes on Friday last week and was working until the last minute on an 80 page design project.

I get twitchy on the energy drinks, I find that those 5 hour energy shots really do the trick though. Don't fast during the night, eat normally. Avoid carbs, protein and fruit/veg are the best. Also set an alarm clock in case you doze off, you don't want to miss the exam if it's in the AM.

Spoken like a true ENGG student!

princeaidin
12-11-2009, 10:39 PM
oh and to the OP, find a friend who has ADD/ADHD, and um....well yea ask them for a small favor

JAYMEZ
12-12-2009, 12:20 AM
+1

bjstare
12-12-2009, 01:04 AM
+2. My cousin has ADHD ;)

Also, anyone who thinks "time management is key" or that there's no way you shouldn't know the information by the time finals roll around, clearly has no idea of the amount of work a BEng degree involves. And if you know people in engineering that say they have never pulled all nighters/got only 1 or 2 hrs of sleep for multiple days in a row... they're lying to you.

Disoblige
12-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Also, anyone who thinks "time management is key" or that there's no way you shouldn't know the information by the time finals roll around, clearly has no idea of the amount of work a BEng degree involves. And if you know people in engineering that say they have never pulled all nighters/got only 1 or 2 hrs of sleep for multiple days in a row... they're lying to you.

Well, honestly if you had NO life, you could possibly time manage enough to get things done in a fashion where you won't be too stressed out in Engg.

But 90% of us are too lazy to do that, and also it requires understanding of our courses before Finals roll around, which most of us don't want to do :rofl:

I've never pulled an all nighter, although I have slept 2-3 hours a few nights in a row due to slacking off. Like right now, I should be studying ENEL 475!

XylathaneGTR
12-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

I'm in my 4th year of a BSc in Mech and I can say, with 100% honesty that I have never pulled an all nighter.

I've had some long, 18 hour days and I have spent the night at school because of studying, but I've never actually pulled an all nighter.

Yes, it's a fuck-tonne of work, but time management really is huge...
In my 2nd year...I would start chipping away at physics or C++ assignments during small breaks here and there throughout the day, rather than waste that time doing other things. By the end of the week, the assignment was more than half done where as friends of mine were just starting theirs and left with an assload of work to do.

This semester i've got 5 core classes, and one of them involved me writing a wonderful paper on material and manufacturing processes utilized for Total Hip Arthoplasty...I was in the MEB computer lab until 2:30 in the morning the day it was due making it perfect and the only reason that I needed to be there that late was the fact that I had fallen ill the weekend before and lost a day and a half of solid writing time...Had I not been sick and instead, able to write coherently, I would have been in bed by 11 that night, with no stress at all.

That being said, it's 12:21am and i'm frantically printing notes for my fluid mech 2 final that looms just 12 hours away.

sneek
12-12-2009, 01:33 AM
:P Pulling one tonight, even though I finished an exam this afternoon. I don't have a final or anything due tomorrow, but I try to do as much studying as possible before "the night before"

LOL project Monday, two finals Tues, two Weds. I am seriously considering booking a room at the U of C hotel cause my last final ends at 10PM Tues, and my next one begins at 8AM Weds. FML :(

Disoblige
12-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by sneek
:P Pulling one tonight, even though I finished an exam this afternoon. I don't have a final or anything due tomorrow, but I try to do as much studying as possible before "the night before"

LOL project Monday, two finals Tues, two Weds. I am seriously considering booking a room at the U of C hotel cause my last final ends at 10PM Tues, and my next one begins at 8AM Weds. FML :(

:werd: Man, it's the worse feeling ever when it's the "night before" and you feel like you know nothing. Last minute panic all fucking day lol

princeaidin
12-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

I'm in my 4th year of a BSc in Mech and I can say, with 100% honesty that I have never pulled an all nighter.

I've had some long, 18 hour days and I have spent the night at school because of studying, but I've never actually pulled an all nighter.

Yes, it's a fuck-tonne of work, but time management really is huge...
In my 2nd year...I would start chipping away at physics or C++ assignments during small breaks here and there throughout the day, rather than waste that time doing other things. By the end of the week, the assignment was more than half done where as friends of mine were just starting theirs and left with an assload of work to do.

This semester i've got 5 core classes, and one of them involved me writing a wonderful paper on material and manufacturing processes utilized for Total Hip Arthoplasty...I was in the MEB computer lab until 2:30 in the morning the day it was due making it perfect and the only reason that I needed to be there that late was the fact that I had fallen ill the weekend before and lost a day and a half of solid writing time...Had I not been sick and instead, able to write coherently, I would have been in bed by 11 that night, with no stress at all.

That being said, it's 12:21am and i'm frantically printing notes for my fluid mech 2 final that looms just 12 hours away.

No doubt Time Management is key.

With that being said:

I have a part-time job + 5 Engg courses and I don't mind having a drink or two here or there to keep me sain ;)

But for everybody here lets be honest ENGG SUCKS

swak
12-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Time management can definitely make or break you in this.

Theres several times in the past, ive left writing a paper, or doing some odd-ball assignment til the last minute. I ended up finding a 24hr Tim Hortons and went nuts, and was buzzing on dbl-dbl's.

It makes you feel unbelievably horrible right after, and for the morning as well.
Its something that can't be always avoided. But is something that you should try your best in all situations to avoid.

IE. Important events like Them Metallica's concert last december.
I had several crap due the day after.

Metallica.. Homework...Metallica..Homework...
You try and decide. :thumbsup:

nodoubtt
12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
I was a super major procrastinator and pulled all nighters consistently on about 90% of my finals and I got into dental school. Sucks like hell and you wanna kill yourself, but if you have the willpower to push yourself it's doable

sneek
12-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Just got home from a final. Ugh, two more tomorrow then I'm doneeeeee

A2VR6
12-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Really? You lucky as hell haha. It seemed like a good part of 4th year (especially second semester) was all nighters for me. Then again i guess coursework wasnt really to blame...

But nothing beats staying up to study for a 4th year controls final, pounding 10 cups of coffee right before the exam and then crashing hard 2/3 of the way in the exam (actually kinda fell asleep and luckily a guy infront of me dropped his calcuator and i woke up) :D

A3GTiVR6SC
12-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Dexadrine.:thumbsup:
start with 10mg one though.. anything more an you might feel like an E-tard grinding your teeth. effects vary from person to person...LOL

bball2
12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
All nighters before exams really screws me over, I have trouble focusing / remember things / writing things down accurately if I pull an all nighter. For research papers due the next morning they're not bad, get it over, hand it in, then go to sleep right after. :thumbsup:

aram1000
12-16-2009, 04:03 PM
I pulled a lot of all nigthers when I did my undergrad (ENGG). The results were mixed, sometimes good, sometimes it wouldn't have mattered. It really depends on how you are. If you are an early riser, i'd advise against it, for me, i've always been used to staying up late. However, now I would advise against them, mainly because you do burn out, and you get to a point where nothing sticks. When I was studying for the CFA Level 1 Exam, the institute advises against cramming before the test, all nighters, etc. First time around I ignored this advice and failed, second time around, I followed it and passed. Its good to be well rested before an exam though everyone is different.

gqmw
12-18-2009, 05:03 AM
I think it's an all nighter for me tonight....man I'm tired...last exam too.

swak
12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by gqmw
I think it's an all nighter for me tonight....man I'm tired...last exam too.

ahahaha.... Posted at 4am.
Good luck on the exam dude.
:thumbsup:

But i think thats gonna be me for tonight actually.
Afternoon exam, which means sleeping in, and staying up all night the day before.