PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Soundsaround?

Q-TIP
12-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I am looking for a Pioneer Elite AV receiver and I am trying to determine the best place to look at/buy one. I know SS sells them as do Visions. Thoughts, opinions?

Tik-Tok
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I've always been wary of Soundsaround, but a friend picked up a TV from them a couple of years back, and bought the extended warranty. It recently broke, and since it was discontinued, he was offered the newest, closest model (which was far and above better than his old one).

He had no problems at all with the whole process, and they even let him use the initial TV's cost ($2000ish), to put towards a better tv ($2200). His original one that broke would probably only be worth $700 now.

r3ccOs
12-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I hate them with an undying passion... yet.. I'll still buy from them

They happen to carry boutique lines of products that aren't available elsewhere, at standard retail store prices..

I.e. Paradigm Speakers, Tivoli Radios, Totem Speakers, at a price cheaper than most audio boutique store...

Along with that they also carry the Pioneer Elite line, and a full line up of Yamaha products that aren't available elsewhere.

I bought my Tivoli Model 1 radio and Boston Accoustic tabletop Microsystem CD from them for a rather good price. However they do not provide returns, which they don't disclose to you other than on the reciept, and only have a 7 day exchange policy w/ restocking fees :P

Most of their employees are douches, especially the Eurotrash guys that work on the 32nd ave who will "give a buddy a good deal"

So if you know what you want, usually they'll have a good price.

You do have to watch out, along with Visions. They will often re-tape/shrink returned prodcuts to make them look new. My buddy bought a 580 Series 50" Samsung Plasma, that was "definately" new as per the salesman and when we took it home, it had perminant burn-in. It took a helluvalot of fighting for them to even agree to replace it, let alone give a refund.

snoop101
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I've always been wary of Soundsaround, but a friend picked up a TV from them a couple of years back, and bought the extended warranty. It recently broke, and since it was discontinued, he was offered the newest, closest model (which was far and above better than his old one).

He had no problems at all with the whole process, and they even let him use the initial TV's cost ($2000ish), to put towards a better tv ($2200). His original one that broke would probably only be worth $700 now.

That sounds a lot better then most places. When ever I have gone in there I did find that the salepeople were pretty decent and actually knew about what they were selling. Its been a while though, so not to sure how they are now.

core_upt
12-11-2009, 03:24 PM
their prices are great when on sale, but I would never, ever shop somewhere with a no refund/return policy - that right there means unless I am buying something I am dead set on never having a problem with, I would never consider them.

snoop101
12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I hate them with an undying passion... yet.. I'll still buy from them

They happen to carry boutique lines of products that aren't available elsewhere at standard retail store prices..

I.e. they carry Paradigm Speakers, Tivoli Radios, Totem Speakers, at a price cheaper than an audio boutique store...

Along with that they also carried the Pioneer Elites, full line of Yamaha products that aren't available elsewhere.

I bought a Tivoli Model 1 radio and Boston Accoustic tabletop Microsystem CD from them for a rather good price. However they do not provide returns, which they don't disclose to you other than on the reciept, and only have a 7 day exchange policy w/ restocking fees :P

Most of their employees are douches, especially the Eurotrash guys that work on the 32nd ave who will "give a buddy a good deal"

So if you know what you want, usually they'll have a good price.

You do have to watch out, along with Visions, about products that were returns and no longer new in box... They will do what they can to re-tape/shrink wrap to make it look new.

A & B Sound were the only other box store to have these. To bad a crappy computer store took them into the hole.

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Soundsaround is the worst place ever, with the exception of their once per year "big 4" sale, and ONLY if you know exactly what you want. I have yet to meet a sales person there who knows their stuff, they have prices listed on their price tags as the "used to be" price that the unit was never sold at, ever. God help you if you turn down the extended warranty, where a lot of their commission comes from, lol. They hound you until you leave the store. At least you know what to expect when you go there. I had 3-4 of their guys trying to help me set up a comparison of 2 projectors - eventually I just did it myself because none of them knew anything. Then they started to play with the projector settings, maxing contrast, maxing saturation, etc. etc. to try impress me lol - it looked SO bad. Such a waste of everybody's time. Stick to the AV shops that actually know their stuff, or know EXACTLY what your after if you go to one of the chain stores.

Visions does not sell Pioneer Elite - only Pioneer (non elite), as soundsaround has exclusive rights for the Elite stuff. Try www.gibbysaudiovideo.com for a Canadian dealer for Pioneer Elite - they usually have pretty good prices.

What were you looking for specifically, in Pioneer Elite?

Also, Soundsaround is not the only place who sells Paradigm, in fact Paradigm will only let them carry their low-end stuff, presumably because letting a place like soundsaround carry their high end stuff would tarnish their name. If you want Paradigm go to Sounds of Music or General Audio. Their prices were nowhere close to what you can get at Sounds of Music, when I was there.

A&B carried Totem speakers, which are a good speaker, but way overpriced. I wouldn't recommend them to most people.

Lex350
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Soundsaround = crooks= run away......fast!

gtr34
12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
:thumbsdow

Mibz
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
BRUDDAH! Soundsaround is great for people who know what they want, know how much it's worth, and can't get it anywhere else locally.

For everything else, there is a better solution.

TurboMedic
12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
their prices are great when on sale, but I would never, ever shop somewhere with a no refund/return policy - that right there means unless I am buying something I am dead set on never having a problem with, I would never consider them.

+1 on the no refund 7 day exchange only policy....I had it out with them this morning about that....claimed it was because "its a family business" and they couldn't afford......I called BS and told them they couldn't afford to not keep happy customers....and they were super douchey about it too....Avoid avoid avoid.....

jav_
12-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
BRUDDAH! Soundsaround is great for people who know what they want, know how much it's worth, and can't get it anywhere else locally.

+1:werd:

old&slow
12-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Lot's of places to buy electronics...Sounsaround is not a place I would go!

noogie
12-12-2009, 11:15 AM
When is this big soundsaround sale?

Mitsu3000gt
12-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by noogie
When is this big soundsaround sale?

Every September.

thetransporter
12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
i am selling a Pioneer receiver see my posts.

crewchaud
12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

I think Mibz pretty much nailed it with his statment. It's interesting to see everyone has there hate on for a company that has a "no refund" policy when the company is completley honest about it. They don't try to hide the fact that they don't do refunds so whats the problem. I get it... they don't want the cost involved with people test driving their product and then bringing it back for something else. Soundsaround is definetly for shoppers who know what they want simply put.

Pioneer Elite is a fantastic product and highly recognized and respected in the A/V industry and the fact that they choose to do business in Soundsaround exclusivley for the last 12-15 years should say something.

Just my 2 cents

TurboMedic
12-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by crewchaud

Pioneer Elite is a fantastic product and highly recognized and respected in the A/V industry and the fact that they choose to do business in Soundsaround exclusivley for the last 12-15 years should say something.

Just my 2 cents

Yah its called the "image of exclusivity"...They avoid the big box places because that cheapens the line.....And you can get better stuff in different stores

TheCheff
12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
which model were u looking at? http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Products/Home+Entertainment/A+V+Receivers/Elite+A+V+Receivers

that one is $8500 jesus

crewchaud
12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh, my bad... I thought the ”ELITE” line was. Where else can one find Elite products?

RY213
12-15-2009, 11:22 PM
I have one word for you, "Feroz" LOL...

crewchaud
12-15-2009, 11:29 PM
LOL..... Brother!

Mitsu3000gt
12-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by crewchaud
Oh, my bad... I thought the ”ELITE” line was. Where else can one find Elite products?

Nowhere in Calgary. Gibbysaudiovideo.com has them and is a Canadian dealer.

Mitsu3000gt
12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by TheCheff
which model were u looking at? http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Products/Home+Entertainment/A+V+Receivers/Elite+A+V+Receivers

that one is $8500 jesus

They start much, much cheaper than that :) . Their second most expensive one is ~$2400 and then it goes up to that one.

Those "super receivers" are not worth it at all, because you can buy separates for that much, like the Anthem D2v and a decent amp, which would absolutely trounce that receiver.

I've got an SC-05 and its great. My only complaint is Pioneer's choice to not provide video scaling over HDMI but there are usually ways around that.

Skrilla
12-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by RY213
I have one word for you, "Feroz" LOL...

LOL he is still there?? Wow, havent heard that name in a looong time....probably still has more gold than MR.T :rofl:

copynpaste
12-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Soundsaround is the worst chain, surprised theyre still in biz. Everytime you ask about something, theyll offer to put it aside for you, then ask when youre coming in, yada yada yada. Then they pretty much hound you with calls until you pick it up even if its the day you say youre coming in. I did this years ago and the dude I was talking to literally called me every hour on the hour for the entire afternoon. I got sick of it and bought elsewhere. They just seem so desperate for sales and will pull out every cheap business tactic just for a sale, even if it means licking the spit off their own shoe.

But I gaurentee you that SA will give the best price on anything in town - yes even better than visions. walk in, look at product, say visions offered you it for X price cash and gaurenteed they beat it. The key when shopping at places like SA and visions is walk in with cash, they will instantly take off another 5% minimum! No matter what it is.
I know people who have boughten tvs from SA in the past where the store literally made under $20 profit on it.

Mitsu3000gt
12-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Skrilla

LOL he is still there?? Wow, havent heard that name in a looong time....probably still has more gold than MR.T :rofl:

Oh he's still there, exactly the same as before as well.

Originally posted by copynpaste
But I gaurentee you that SA will give the best price on anything in town - yes even better than visions. walk in, look at product, say visions offered you it for X price cash and gaurenteed they beat it. The key when shopping at places like SA and visions is walk in with cash, they will instantly take off another 5% minimum! No matter what it is.
I know people who have boughten tvs from SA in the past where the store literally made under $20 profit on it.

With the exception of their once-a-year big 4 sale, they have always had the worst prices (for me, anyways). Also, IMO, beating a reputable company like Visions by a few % is not enough for me to give them my business, since if something goes wrong or if I ever need anything post-sale im 100% screwed.

4doorj
12-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Also, IMO, beating a reputable company like Visions by a few % is not enough for me to give them my business, since if something goes wrong or if I ever need anything post-sale im 100% screwed.
:werd:
Their return/exhange policy is a joke.
This is the one reason why for electronics I stick with the bigger companies like best buy and futureshop. But again I dont go after the crazy expensive exlusive stuff you guys get.

copynpaste
12-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Oh he's still there, exactly the same as before as well.

With the exception of their once-a-year big 4 sale, they have always had the worst prices (for me, anyways). Also, IMO, beating a reputable company like Visions by a few % is not enough for me to give them my business, since if something goes wrong or if I ever need anything post-sale im 100% screwed.

True, thats why i would buy from visions, theyre not the best but at least they offer 14 days exchange/return policy.

Nothing beats Future shop/best buy though. They get the most business for the very reason of giving their customers 30 days piece of mind. Only thing is, they dont bargain like visions does. Thats why places like visions and SA are willing to bargain with so much leeway, cause they know they only make up a small fraction of the business that FS/BB gets so they have to scratch and claw their way through sales.

The average customer just goes to FS/BB though cause everyone knows about them. You'd be surprised how many people in this city dont even know about visions.