PDA

View Full Version : new media and comp engineering at SAIT...just a question

eur0
11-23-2003, 04:01 AM
Just wondering if anyone on here is in either of these programs and what they think of them? Im considering either Network Engineering Technology or New Media Production and Design at SAIT and would appreciate any feedback on the programs offered!

Ashkente
11-23-2003, 02:00 PM
CNT is useless if you already know anything about networking/programming...I did it, and now I'm at the UofC :P

Davetronz
11-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente
CNT is useless if you already know anything about networking/programming...I did it, and now I'm at the UofC :P
I did U of C first and it was a big huge pile of donkey shit.
CNT right now, loving it, and learning the same shit that U of C people are doing in CPSC.

eur0
11-24-2003, 06:04 PM
haha yea im switching to sait next september, im just gonna finish my finals and be done for the year, but what is CNT? couldnt see any programs under that name, are you talking about Computer Technology?

Davetronz
11-25-2003, 02:14 AM
CNT = Computer Engineering Technology (hardware/electronics aspect

CT = Computer Technologies (programming aspect)

roopi
11-25-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318

I did U of C first and it was a big huge pile of donkey shit.
CNT right now, loving it, and learning the same shit that U of C people are doing in CPSC.

you mean some of the same stuff that people learn in CPSC don't you?

Davetronz
11-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by roopi

you mean some of the same stuff that people learn in CPSC don't you?
The two guys who did 3 years in CPSC that are in my class right now say that up to this point (1 year in) it has been entirely the same.
Im sure its not exact as U of C, and this is only a 2 year program. But they are saying its pretty similar.

roopi
11-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318

The two guys who did 3 years in CPSC that are in my class right now say that up to this point (1 year in) it has been entirely the same.
Im sure its not exact as U of C, and this is only a 2 year program. But they are saying its pretty similar.

you said CNT is hardware/electronics. so it seems as though you are saying there is no programming other than low-level right?

if the CPSC program at UofC is only offering hardware/electronics and low-level programming it must be pretty sad and i don't see why it gets good recognition at all

WhiteNikes
11-25-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by roopi
if the CPSC program at UofC is only offering hardware/electronics and low-level programming it must be pretty sad and i don't see why it gets good recognition at all

Well then, it makes sence that it doesn't right?:D
One does get a choice of what they'd like to focus in, some people like the theory some like the old school programming/low-level stuff, some others cringe if they have to program in anything other than Java, others still seem interested in the Software Eng aspect and the list goes on and on. Frankly, I didn't know that the UofC CPSC degree had good recognition.

Davetronz
11-25-2003, 02:50 PM
I didnt know that the U of C CPSC program had good recognition either. Frankly I have the marks to go to u of c but I would never go back.

We do a lot more than low level programming.
We just dont emphasize it as much.
We do our C programming, JAVA, HTML, PERL, etc, however they are maybe only worth 2-4 credits whereas an electronics or digital logic section is more like 7-9 credits.

eur0
11-25-2003, 03:55 PM
yea i dont like uofc at all haha, i want to switch to sait in sept but i gotta figure out which program to go into?? Its either CNT, NET, or Multimedia, anyone taking NET or multimedia?

eur0
11-25-2003, 03:58 PM
heres my reasoning for each:

CNT: Possible to get an additional degree taking the bachelors program from SAIT.
NET: Good pay, my dads in the field and can help me out a ton, in and out in 2 years.
Multimedia: Enjoy webdesigning and graphics and can possibly get a 2+2 degree with UofC for bach of comm.

NET and Multimedia I like more cause I really dislike programming

Davetronz
11-25-2003, 09:54 PM
Well, the amout of programming that we do isnt that much when compared to everything else....
I know a guy in Multimedia and he likes it, finds it pretty interesting.
I hear NET is pretty tedious.

Toms-Celica
11-26-2003, 07:05 PM
I just finished applying to both CIT and NIT :)

WhiteNikes
11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
well I have heard quite a few people complaining about the programming volume at UofC. I suppose if you are against programming you probably don't want t'be at the UofC CPSC program. Many of the people that do well there are know as good coders.

eur0
11-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Toms-Celica
I just finished applying to both CIT and NIT :)

anything else? haha