PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have home security cameras?

sr20s14zenki
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Just curious who here has home security cameras and how do you have them set up? What is the most convenient way to keep the videos? During the summer, somebody made off with 4 solar lights i had around my porch, most likely some kids.Now however, some wierdo came on my porch, used my shovel to shovel my porch, and then left the shovel on my sidewalk, hinting i should shovel i guess. I was leaving it for today because ive been too busy, so shoot me, theres no ice, its just snow. When you go to work at 5:30 and get home at 8:30, you are in no mood to shovel, well, im not anyways. Wanna keep an eye on things, feel kinda invaded.

chkolny541
12-11-2009, 07:38 PM
dam NE

Spoons
12-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Just curious who here has home security cameras and how do you have them set up? What is the most convenient way to keep the videos? During the summer, somebody made off with 4 solar lights i had around my porch, most likely some kids.Now however, some wierdo came on my porch, used my shovel to shovel my porch, and then left the shovel on my sidewalk, hinting i should shovel i guess. I was leaving it for today because ive been too busy, so shoot me, theres no ice, its just snow. When you go to work at 5:30 and get home at 8:30, you are in no mood to shovel, well, im not anyways. Wanna keep an eye on things, feel kinda invaded.

Is your sidewalk shoveled? If not, I think that was his way of telling you, "Okay your porch is clear, now you can walk your ass to the sidewalk and shovel it."

Yes work is hard, but there is work at home. Shoveling your side walk should be the first thing you do, people walk on it other than you. You would feel pretty shitty if someone slipped and fell. Especially if someone decided to come after you because of it (not sure if they could, but hey stupider law suits have happened).

sr20s14zenki
12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Is your sidewalk shoveled? If not, I think that was his way of telling you, "Okay your porch is clear, now you can walk your ass to the sidewalk and shovel it."

Yes work is hard, but there is work at home. Shoveling your side walk should be the first thing you do, people walk on it. You would feel pretty shitty if someone slipped and fell. Especially if someone decided to come after you because of it (not sure if they could, but hey stupider law suits have happened).

Dont care, stay the fuck off my property, i do not appreciate unwanted people on my property. It wasnt slippery, its all fresh. It WAS going to be the first thing i do when i came home today anyways. Regardless, its not really that, that irks me, i just want to know whats going on when im not around, ie lights being stolen, people fucking with my car, etc. I know, you think im lazy, thats fine, i do it on my time, not somebody elses. Have a problem? Call bylaw. Use the correct channels.

Anyways, i dont need people to tell me im lazy thanks, if you have nothing useful to say pertaining to home security, keep it to yourself, i didnt ask your opinion.

Spoons
12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Dont care, stay the fuck off my property, i do not appreciate unwanted people on my property. It wasnt slippery, its all fresh. It WAS going to be the first thing i do when i came home today anyways. Regardless, its not really that, that irks me, i just want to know whats going on when im not around, ie lights being stolen, people fucking with my car, etc. I know, you think im lazy, thats fine, i do it on my time, not somebody elses. Have a problem? Call bylaw. Use the correct channels.

Oh by no means am I saying how he handled it is correct, just that I could see where he is coming from. Whether it is fresh or not, it's still a hazard and a pain in the ass to walk through. I believe you can get a pretty hefty fine for not shoveling your walks too.

You shoveled from last snow fall correct? If you didn't, you ARE lazy. If it is snow from today, buddy can get fucked.

FraserB
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Sorry I didn't finish the job. You have a crappy shovel and it was kinda cold out.

sr20s14zenki
12-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Sorry I didn't finish the job. You have a crappy shovel and it was kinda cold out.

HEY, dont talk about my shovel that way

:D

oh and spoons to answer your question yes, from the BIG snowfall yes, but from during the week the little bit that has fallen, no. I understand it has to be done, but man, thats creepy. I think its the same neighbor that complained my grass was too tall in a 2' swatch of grass behind my garage facing a gravel covered alley. It was maybe at my ankles, seriously. Haha funny thing, i got the note from bylaw the day i grabbed my weed whacker to go and do it. I think its my biblethumper neighbor, he used to live there, but he changed houses with his kids, so now they live their with their wierd daughter and son. Hes there for a visit, i see his car. I have a hydrant in front of my house, one day my bumper was about 1 1/2 inches into the yellow line that marks how far away you have to be. He saw me come out and told me it was illegal to do that. I was in no way blocking it at all, like i said, 1 1/2 inches AT MOST my bumper was in there.

spankingmonkey
12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
There's a shop at Mcleod Trail like from 45-48 ave i think it was next to computer rack or something..

anyways its a spy store and a friend of mine got his security camera's there.

I think he hired a professional installer to get it done . He had his Iphone intergrated with the security system. From work he can watch anything around his house.

He even saw his neighbore spanking that monkey!

and he also has a server dedicated for it. what im saying is he went all out.

check out the spy store @ macleod and see what type of camera's and then see if they know a professional installer.

I'm gonna ask my buddy how he got his done

97'Scort
12-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Costco has good deals on them.

AndyL
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Watch ebay - we've got a couple wifi camera's that were picked up cheap (about 30$ each shipped) My only gripe with them is the 9v batteries burn out about every 2 weeks in the winter (summer - wont change them once). Nice and tiny - no IR light though...

Mine are motion activated; software will even let you set alerts/alarms... Nice to have a browser pop open when someones coming up to the door... My software is unfortunately really bad engrish - completely unintelligible; but eventually figured it out by playing with the buttons...

adidas
12-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by spankingmonkey
There's a shop at Mcleod Trail like from 45-48 ave i think it was next to computer rack or something..

anyways its a spy store and a friend of mine got his security camera's there.

I think he hired a professional installer to get it done . He had his Iphone intergrated with the security system. From work he can watch anything around his house.

He even saw his neighbore spanking that monkey!

and he also has a server dedicated for it. what im saying is he went all out.

check out the spy store @ macleod and see what type of camera's and then see if they know a professional installer.

I'm gonna ask my buddy how he got his done

Looking at your user name, are you sure that "neighbor" wasn't you?

revelations
12-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Logitech Wilife and Dlink both have excellent camera systems worth looking at.

cancer man
12-13-2009, 08:53 AM
He shoveled your porch! fk your lucky..
My retired neighbour will run his lawnmower across my grass
when he thinks it's to tall.

Spy shop on mcleod and 58 i believe.

hampstor
12-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I've been considering an IP camera for a while. I have a home server that runs all the time at home so it would be easy enough to have it store video on the server (and I can RDP in to view it)...

I've looked at the D-Link Securicam's (PoE and Wireless G), cheapy ones from Trendnet that do PTZ, and the Linksys/cisco ones too. Haven't really played with anything beyond one of the more pricey dlink units when I had a demo model...

With the layout of your house, you could always mount one in that front area you have (either PoE or Wireless G) and have it save video to your computer. You also could rdp to that computer from your iphone and view / control it remotely too.

nobb
12-13-2009, 12:12 PM
What is the scope of the project...aka..how many cameras are you looking to get? Are you concerned with future expandability? It seems like you are just trying to monitor one small area, in which case, you might not need to spend a ton of money on this.

The professional systems cost a ton of money, and I think for a multi-camera type of surveillance system it might be better to build your own system if you are technically inclined. Such as hampstor's idea of a home server using a computer. The disadvantage of this is that if you have a powerful system running 24/7, you might want to consider electricity costs. Running a 24/7 system that consumes 100w will cost you around $100/year.

Or if this is just a small scale thing where it's only for this small kind of isolated incident, you could probably pull something off for $200 by getting a small portable system. Im running a mini video surveillance system in my car using parts from eBay (high quality CCD cam + DVR) and it cost me only about $250 to do. You will be limited in the number of cameras, but it is a simple setup and it's low power consumption will likely save you money over the long term.