PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat (non-structural) repair

2EFNFAST
12-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm just wondering if anybody here is good with gelcoat (fiberglass) repair - more specifically, say you have a piece of gelcoat (rv, marine, etc...) with a deep gouge in it - filling in the area with gelcoat.

I'm decent at it, but even after wetsnding not happy with my repairs; I figured maybe somebody who was in the know-how could show me a trick or two ...... brushing isnt' working very well, may try using a preval to spray next.

89s1
12-12-2009, 05:23 PM
"The marine clinic" used to do all the repairs on our boats at the dealership I worked at. Never had a problem with the quality of their work.

Cooked Rice
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I always seen gelcoat laid down in a mould first then the fiberglass put over it. Like starting from the outside in.

try laying the gelcoat on, then take a piece of durable plastic like a baking bag or something, lay it over the wet gelcoat and take a flat edge and scrap out the excess gelcoat. then leave the plastic over it until it starts to cure.

89s1
12-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Manufacturing usually happens like this yeah, but repairs done on the outside can still be seamless.

2EFNFAST
12-12-2009, 06:05 PM
i'll check them out, thanks.

I'm not interested in the manufacturing part, mroeover the repair part. Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en-8SbhdF_k&feature=related

I can do a near seamless repair, but it's not perfect. And of course, it's one thing to watch a video, another to see somebody do it and point out any flaws in your technique.

89s1
12-12-2009, 07:22 PM
What I found with gelcoat repairs I have done is that you need to mix the gelcoat PERFECTLY or it will develop pits/air voids.

But compared to a perfect colour match, the mixing part is easy. :nut:

2EFNFAST
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
That's why all my gelcoat is white - white is white, unless it's been dyed with something, which most white isn't (from my experience) :angel:

I found I developed pits if I didn't use between 20-25 drops of MEKP per 1oz of gelcoat (the guy at industrial plastics insists you can do 10drops/oz, but that always pitted on me).

Basically 20drops/oz + 10% styrene and I'm golden.

89s1
12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Clearly he just sells the stuff, using it is a whole new can of worms. :D

2EFNFAST
12-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Just like watching the videos - anybody can watch the gelcoat youtube videos, but it's a whole other ballgame to implement :D