PDA

View Full Version : Message From Calgary Drag Race Assoc.

ghostS10RT
12-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Message From the PresidentCalgary Drag Racing Association
Drag Racing has had solid roots in Calgary for many years. Some of the world’s best racers and most successful teams have called Calgary and Southern Alberta home. With Friday night’s Secret Street as popular as ever, and more cars being built and maintained for competition, it would be a shame if they could no longer participate locally. In the past year, Motorsport and Drag Racing enthusiasts have given City Hall notice that they will not go away quietly. Behind the scenes, negotiations and planning continues for next season and the next few years.
It is important that the CDRA and its members stay diligent and remain upbeat and enthusiastic about the future. For the 2010 season, it is likely that the CDRA will be required to put on a drag racing program at Race City. This requires participation of local enthusiasts and hopefully will attract some out of town supporters. There is a city election coming in the next year and since politicians pay close attention to numbers, membership is one way of showing them that there is keen interest in our sport. The cost of Membership in the CDRA will remain the same for the 2010 season. Becoming a member of the CDRA allows the participant to compete for yearend point championships. It also gives the member discounts at our local sponsor’s businesses. During planning for the upcoming season, other member benefits will be looked at such as reduced gate fees. The monthly general meetings are where the decisions will be made for the future of the CDRA and everyone is welcome to join in on the discussion. I look forward to seeing you there.
W.A. (Andy) Hockin
President
Calgary Drag Racing Association

I just wanted to pass this info on to everyone on the forum as we are trying to keep everyone up to date.

I will be posting as must info as I can about the 2010 season as I can.

Jason
V.P.

TimeAttack
12-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm still confused about whether Race City will be open in 2010.

Every week the story changes and it's either definitely a go or no hope in hell.

So I for one will wait until the city of Calgary and Race City owners come to a decision as to what the deal is.

I don't feel like putting my money in a hat and waiting for city hall to tell me if my money is good for anything.

I don't like the mentality of toss all your money in a hat and wait for a decision. I would rather have the race track open, and then start to put my donation in.

If the owners are too broke to even re-open in the new year, what is my 100$ membership going to do besides buy them a bottle of whiskey to deal with the pain.

Race city asked for our support, and we all came out the last race of the season and showed it.

And then we realized that it doesn't make a single bit of difference, because the city is going to do what the city pleases, and a few racers tossing a few bucks in a hat is going to do nothing.

Race city is bringing street ball rules to an nba game.
They will lose every time.

Race city is saying "hey guys, all your crunched up 5$ bills in the hat and well give this to the winner"

and City hall is saying "we already have pro contracts, so firstly, we're gonna whip your asses, and second, your money is irrelevant."

89s1
12-12-2009, 11:59 PM
X2, I can't rightfully buy into a Calgary Drag Racing Association until I know I can drag race in Calgary.

If i can race until 2015 you've got a new member in me.

ghostS10RT
12-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by TimeAttack
I'm still confused about whether Race City will be open in 2010.

Every week the story changes and it's either definitely a go or no hope in hell.

So I for one will wait until the city of Calgary and Race City owners come to a decision as to what the deal is.

I don't feel like putting my money in a hat and waiting for city hall to tell me if my money is good for anything.

I don't like the mentality of toss all your money in a hat and wait for a decision. I would rather have the race track open, and then start to put my donation in.

If the owners are too broke to even re-open in the new year, what is my 100$ membership going to do besides buy them a bottle of whiskey to deal with the pain.

Race city asked for our support, and we all came out the last race of the season and showed it.

And then we realized that it doesn't make a single bit of difference, because the city is going to do what the city pleases, and a few racers tossing a few bucks in a hat is going to do nothing.

Race city is bringing street ball rules to an nba game.
They will lose every time.

Race city is saying "hey guys, all your crunched up 5$ bills in the hat and well give this to the winner"

and City hall is saying "we already have pro contracts, so firstly, we're gonna whip your asses, and second, your money is irrelevant."

The support that everyone showed this last season helped a ton!
With the media coverage, our message was heard loud and clear that we need Race City. Without it, we may have lost the vote for the extension.
The motorsports community has a lot of work ahead of them, including the CDRA.
One of our first steps is to keep everyone informed as to what is happening.

I will post info as it comes up and will be asking for your input on certian topics.

This is a good sign for 2010 and a BIG STEP!:
quoted from:AHRA (http://ahradragracing.com)
CALGARY SIGNS ON WITH AHRA December 8th, 2009 10:00 A.M. PST The American Hot Rod Association is pleased to announce the sanctioning of Race City Motorsports Park in Calgary Alberta . "We are extremely pleased that Art MacKenzie and Race City Motorsports Park have joined the AHRA family" stated Brad Janishewski Vice President and Director of Canada Operations. ”Race City has been a pillar in Western Canada for years. We are not only looking forward to the return of Nitro Powered cars in Calgary at the reunion tour but also a strong commitment to the western Canada Sportsmen Series" stated Janishewski. AHRA will be hosting a “Reunion Tour “ Nitro race as well as multiple Sportsmen races of which the dates will be announced in the coming days

Thank you everyone for your support!
Jason
V.P.

sesuna
01-22-2010, 02:48 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).