PDA

View Full Version : Cold in Calgary this morning (2009-12-13)

speedog
12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Kinda cold in Calgary this morning although the company car (not plugged in) started up no problem outside with the remote from inside.

Wonder how other Beyonder's vehicles are doing/starting?

http://www3.telus.net/public/slugs/cold_in_Calgary.jpg

sr20s14zenki
12-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Im in Crossfield, -28 here, my d21 started with no problems, had to give it a bit of gas, thats about it haha. Funny thing, even tho it was out of gear, for a few minutes when i would let out the clutch it would lurch forward a bit, i guess the tranny fluid is THAT thick, not the first car i had that did that

Isaiah
12-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Will be a busy day for AMA with everyone wanting to get out to the malls. Suckers.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Ive got four chances to leave the house. Im betting at least three of them will start today. Decisions decisions.

swak
12-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I started no problems and not plugged in (Chev 1500). However, Took a while to warm it up though.

Neil4Speed
12-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I am sitting at home trying to figure out what the freezing temperatures of my car fluids are lol. Its warm (ish), in the garage though. Last night it was parked outside and started up no problems/drama, its weird, my CD changer works better/faster in the cold lol.

Poor California car.

R!zz0
12-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Too cold. The car started with no problems but it took forever warming up.

I feel bad for people who have a small dick and in this cold it just makes it even more smaller :cry: :D :bullshit: :banghead:

Vagabond142
12-13-2009, 10:43 AM
(peers out from under pile of blankets) Basement room = GAAAAAAAAH COLD.

As to my car... um... the civic is dead, so that's not gonna start no matter what :P

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
LOVE this cold weather!!!! -20 to -30 all winter would be perfect. Roads stay dry, hard packed snow with sand for the side roads is easy to drive on...and you hardly need any washer fluid for the window!
Not looking forward to the Chinook and everything turning to black slush, where you go through a gallon of fluid every 10 minutes on the deerfoot. Then it just gets cold again, turning the roads into skating rinks.

DJ Lazy
12-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll find out in about 45mins whether it will start or not... Decided to plug it in just to be safe, and I got a brand new battery in there last week.

masoncgy
12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Neither one of our vehicles are equipped with block heaters... not sure why... one was purchased in Saskatchewan and the other one here in Calgary... you'd think they would have been ordered with block heaters, but nooooo.... lol

Both started up fine... :)

speedog
12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Cold weather - will separate the well maintained from the not-so-well maintained vehicles. None of the vehicles I've owned in 30 years has had a starting issue in the cold - even an old 1986 Chev Astro unplugged in -54C weather in Edmonton.

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Cold weather - will separate the well maintained from the not-so-well maintained vehicles. None of the vehicles I've owned in 30 years has had a starting issue in the cold - even an old 1986 Chev Astro unplugged in -54C weather in Edmonton.

I don't think Edmonton has ever reached -54 though, has it?

The coldest overall Edmonton temperature recorded was −49.4 °C (−56.9 °F), recorded on January 19 and 21, 1886.

Oh...unless you meant Fahrenheit

JordanAndrew
12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
He probably meant with the windchill. :dunno:
Anyways, I didn't get any issue with my car this morning. I plugged it in at work now so that my car will heat up faster.

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Windchill is the effect on humans and animals. It has no effect on inanimate objects, other than how quickly it will drop the temperature. It wont bring the temperature below the actual outside temp.

If its +1 Celsius...and a windchill of -10..water will not freeze.

just as if its -30 out, but a windchill of -40..your radiator will still only drop to -30. it will drop quicker...but not below.

btw...a cool "windchill" calculator (http://www.ottawarun.com/windchill.htm)

narou
12-13-2009, 12:52 PM
My rb did not want to get up this morning. I couldn't plug it in last night!

v2kai
12-13-2009, 01:03 PM
no problems with my civic. no plug in available and she's been starting like a champ everyday:clap: :clap:

FiveFreshFish
12-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Neither one of our vehicles are equipped with block heaters... not sure why... one was purchased in Saskatchewan and the other one here in Calgary... you'd think they would have been ordered with block heaters, but nooooo.... lol

Both started up fine... :)
Both my VWs have no block heaters. I don't think VW even made block heaters for VR6 engines. But they both started without any issues.

Originally posted by C_Dave45
Windchill is the effect on humans and animals. The only effect it has on inanimate objects is how quickly it will drop the temperature. It wont bring the temperature below the actual outside temp.
Correct, but I'll add that a car radiator (when the engine is running) will also "feel" the effects of wind chill in the accelerated cooling rate because it is a heat-producing body. This is the reason why you sometimes see radiators and grills shielded with cardboard.

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Both my VWs have no block heaters. I don't think VW even made block heaters for VR6 engines. But they both started without any issues.

Correct, but I'll add that a car radiator (when the engine is running) will also "feel" the effects of wind chill in the accelerated cooling rate because it is a heat-producing body. This is the reason why you sometimes see radiators and grills shielded with cardboard.

Also correct! lol Its amazing how many people dont understand the windchill. I asked a morning DJ on the air about the "if its plus 1 out, but a howling wind, will it freeze water?"...he says "Of course it will!" ROFL

GQBalla
12-13-2009, 01:50 PM
car is starting fine

left the car outside last night and it was fine.

battery is 5 years old too hehe

speedog
12-13-2009, 01:54 PM

I don't think Edmonton has ever reached -54 though, has it?

Oh...unless you meant Fahrenheit Sorry, typo - meant -45C

Tik-Tok
12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Not that I'm leaving my house today... but my car will start just fine :D (not that I'm looking forward to my natural gas bill this month, triple bay seperate garage with it's own furnace is win/lose)

Ashers
12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
The Golf is as dead as a door nail. The engine will not fire at all. Oh well, Gotta figure out a way to defrost the diesel.

ex1z7
12-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Ahhh the cold.. Not in Calgary but it was cold enough here to turn my coolant to slush in my 'yota..

Good times.. good times.. flushing it is even more fun in this weather..

Benny
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I've always had good luck in weather like this. First car started fine, my 89 Chevy started fine haha, and now the Honda starts easy as well.

swak
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
American FTW once again.
However one of these are still necessary :poosie:
http://www.decaljr.com/PEE%20ON%20FORD%201.jpg

.. I feel that i have a right to be able to say this.
I used to be huge in the VW community (w/ corrado in WOW '07).

CUG
12-13-2009, 05:20 PM
LOL Ambient temperature doesn't mean shit. Doesn't fucking matter if it's -30, wind can drop that shit to -60 no problem.

Tik-Tok
12-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by CUG
LOL Ambient temperature doesn't mean shit. Doesn't fucking matter if it's -30, wind can drop that shit to -60 no problem.

Why thank you for that insightful post, but it's not what we're discussing here. It might be -60 with the windchill, but your cars block, oil, and refrigerant will still be at -30.

nonlinear
12-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Cooked Rice
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
was working outside from 1AM to 5AM last night. just woke up lol.

...and yeah lol, windchill only affects things that are living.

97'Scort
12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Gosh, it's a whole +2 here. Hell, it might freeze even.

:devil:

badatusrnames
12-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by CUG

:facepalm:

Kloubek
12-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Girlfriend's Corolla was whiney about starting, but did so. (After stalling seconds after the first attempt).

You know... for being so damn cold out there, it didn't feel THAT bad to me....

01RedDX
12-13-2009, 05:41 PM

adidas
12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
was working outside from 1AM to 5AM last night. just woke up lol.

...and yeah lol, windchill only affects things that are living.

that is shitty!

What a hell do u wear to work?

Cooked Rice
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by adidas

that is shitty!

What a hell do u wear to work?

thermal compression shirt and pants
t-shirt, hoody, winter parka(work gives us)
normal work pants, snow bib/pants that go up to your shoulders almost.
face mask, toque, hearing protection ear muffs (which also keep ears warm), safety vest, snowboard goggles
double layer socks, steel toe winter boots

...hmm yeah i think i got everything

gam0s
12-13-2009, 05:56 PM
yay for outside work at the airport`

Supa Dexta
12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I've thought about this before.. Yes, I've heard it only affects the living.. But then why would you blow on a hot spoon full of food? Isn't that the same thing that windchill would be doing to an engine? And the same as air cooling? moving air over a surface... :dunno: Or can it only remove heat down to the actual temp? No quicker even with windchill?

.... soo many questions,.

The_Rural_Juror
12-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I've thought about this before.. Yes, I've heard it only affects the living.. But then why would you blow on a hot spoon full of food? Isn't that the same thing that windchill would be doing to an engine? And the same as air cooling? moving air over a surface... :dunno: Or can it only remove heat down to the actual temp? No quicker even with windchill?

.... soo many questions,.

That's because your breath is a lot lower temperature than the food.

Cooked Rice
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
wind moves heat away faster, but can only cool down to the actually temp of the ambient air.

Example, if you blow air onto a puddle of water with a fan say at 5 degrees. It's not going to start freezing.

Humans have a hard time with this concept because we are warm blooded. Because when the wind blows we "feel" colder but the air is the same temperature.

nonlinear
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
windchill doesn't only affect the living. you can calculate a "windchill" for any object that is at a different temperature than ambient. and actually, windchill for a human face will be different than the windchill for, say, a dog's face. and if we wanna get technical, the windchill for my face will be different than the windchill for your face.

to understand windchill, you need to forget about the concept of "temperature" for a moment, and consider instead heat and convection transport from (by convention) a human face into air. in no wind, heat diffuses across the boundary layer of your face and into the still air; changes in density as a result of temperature differences induce air flow. heat loss is proportional to the temperature difference b4etween the fluid and your face. in forced convection, the fluid flow is externally forced (e.g. wind), which removes the heat that has conducted into the boundary layer on your face. here, heat loss is (mostly) proportional to wind velocity.

for a wind of given velocity, the windchill is the no-wind temperature at which forced- and free-convectoin heat loss rates are equal. i.e., the windchill is the temperature it would "feel like" if there was no wind.

windchill is just an index and in that sense it doesn't really mean anything. the one currently used in the US and Canada is based on standard engineering correlations with parameter values for average human face skin, at average height, walking into the wind in an open field at 1.4 m/s.

iceburns288
12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
^Engineers > everyone else:D

It was 20C here a couple days ago. Enjoyable.

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
windchill doesn't only affect the living. you can calculate a "windchill" for any object that is at a different temperature than ambient. and actually, windchill for a human face will be different than the windchill for, say, a dog's face. and if we wanna get technical, the windchill for my face will be different than the windchill for your face.

to understand windchill, you need to forget about the concept of "temperature" for a moment, and consider instead heat and convection transport from your face (by convention) into the air. in no wind, heat diffuses across the boundary layer of your face and into the still air; changes in density as a result of temperature differences induce air flow. heat loss is proportional to the temperature difference b4etween the fluid and your face. in forced convection, the fluid flow is externally forced (e.g. wind), which removes the heat that has conducted into the boundary layer on your face. here, heat loss is (mostly) proportional to wind velocity.

for a wind of given velocity, the windchill is the no-wind temperature at which forced- and free-convectoin heat loss rates are equal. i.e., the windchill is the temperature it would "feel like" if there was no wind.

windchill is just an index and you can calculate a "windchill" for anything. the one currently used in the US and Canada is based on standard engineering correlations with parameter values for average human face skin, at average height, walking into wind in an open field at 1.4 m/s.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/blah.gif

LOL...just bustin ya, Nonlinear.....you're going WAYYY above what anyone on here is gonna understand LOL..
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/laughing1.gif

its simple. If you're anti-freeze is rated to -40...and its -30 out, you're fine...doesn't matter if the windchill is -120, its only gonna get down to what the actual temp is

Cooked Rice
12-13-2009, 06:40 PM
true but to make it simple for everyone else, it's better just to say it doesn't affect non biological organisms. because people believe because the windchill may be at -50C, your car is going to be at -50C. If that were true, my doors would freeze shut after a car wash on mild day.

the formula for windchill is different for everything that generates it's own heat. the one in forecasts are for humans.

speedog
12-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Who the hell cares about the wind chill - it was cold. Colder than I like. And ppl are dinking around in this thread arguing about wind chill - c'mon folks, -30C this morning should've been plenty cold enuf for anything ya cared to do outdoors. Looks to be getting colder tonight - already -28C at wx.ca

nonlinear
12-13-2009, 07:01 PM
it's better just to say it doesn't affect non biological organisms.

???

why? windchill (the one reported by your meteorologist, anyhow) is more applicable to a warmed manequin face than it is to a horse. it has NOTHING to do with being biological or not.

i think the best thing is that people who don't know what they're talking about stop spreading superficial misunderstandings ;) before this turns into a debate like the climate change threads hahahaha

i kid, i kid :poosie:

the formula for windchill is different for everything that generates it's own heat.

and, it has nothing to do with heat generation, either.

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
a good faq and quiz about the facts of windchill:

http://www.msc.ec.gc.ca/education/windchill/fact_quiz_e.cfm

CUG
12-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Why thank you for that insightful post, but it's not what we're discussing here. It might be -60 with the windchill, but your cars block, oil, and refrigerant will still be at -30.

Originally posted by badatusrnames

:facepalm:

Originally posted by 01RedDX

LOL There's a reason why meteorologists say "feels like" a certain temperature. Your car doesn't "feel" windchill.

You guys are absolutely fucking brilliant.
:facepalm: :facepalm:

I totally agree with you that wind will have absolutely no effect on the change in temperature of the surface and core of an object over a period of time. Oh wait :rolleyes:

Tik-Tok
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CUG

You guys are absolutely fucking brilliant.
:facepalm: :facepalm:

Are you refuting the statement?

CUG
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Are you refuting the statement? You're suggesting that a colder wind will not effect the temperature of an object?

Cooked Rice
12-13-2009, 07:33 PM

and, it has nothing to do with heat generation, either.

if you are talking about convection, then yes it does. a warmed mannequin face... had to get it's heat from somewhere to start with. it sounds like you're talking more about forced convection, than the conventional term wind chill.

(i'm not going to continue with anything more, to prevent a total flame-fest).

CUG
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Anyways, you penises, Record low temperatures in my opinion should include wind chill, as it's more accurate to what you actually feel. If nothing else, record ambient temperature as well as the wind chill corrected temperature.

speedog
12-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Holy steaming piles of cow dung - has this thread ever gone astray and quickly at that.

If I remember correctly, I just wondered out loud in the initial post of "how other Beyonder's vehicles are doing/starting" and now it's a "wind chill argument/I've got a bigger brain then you" pissing contest? Hilarious.

speedog
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
And of note, those piles of fresh cow dung would be steaming quite mightily right now despite any of the wind chill bullshit being tossed around in this thread.

CUG
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Holy steaming piles of cow dung - has this thread ever gone astray and quickly at that.

If I remember correctly, I just wondered out loud in the initial post of "how other Beyonder's vehicles are doing/starting" and now it's a "wind chill argument/I've got a bigger brain then you" pissing contest? Hilarious. I've not studied on wind chill or even looked into it, so I'm fully aware that I could be completely wrong... I just don't know how I got pulled into flamage.

Tik-Tok
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by CUG
You're suggesting that a colder wind will not effect the temperature of an object?

As said, a colder wind will bring down the temperature of an object FASTER then no wind, but it won't get colder than ambient temperature.

IE: (random numbers)

You park your car in -30*C, no wind, the engine takes 60 minutes to get to -30*C.

You park your car in -30*C, -60*C with windchill, the engine takes 15 minutes to get to -30*C, but won't go any further below that.

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by CUG
You're suggesting that a colder wind will not effect the temperature of an object?

only until it gets to the ambient temperature.
If you're radiator is 100 C and its -10 out. Say it takes 3 hours to cool down to -10.
Now if its -10 but a windchill of -30...your rad will still only come down to -10....but it will do so much quicker. But it wont get down to -30 (the windchill temp)

*edit* DOH...writing the same time as TikTok... he splained it perfectly.

CUG
12-13-2009, 07:42 PM

As said, a colder wind will bring down the temperature of an object FASTER then no wind, but it won't get colder than ambient temperature.

IE: (random numbers)

You park your car in -30*C, no wind, the engine takes 60 minutes to get to -30*C.

You park your car in -30*C, -60*C with windchill, the engine takes 15 minutes to get to -30*C, but won't go any further below that. Which is kind of what I was getting at. I don't know where I posted anything to the contrary.

This is from that link that dude posted:

1. Which of the following are affected by wind chill?

a) your pet dog
b) your car -- when you first start it
c) your car -- when it is running
d) your car -- when it stops
e) your house
f) the mail box

Answer: Remember, any object that is warmer than the outside temperature is affected by wind chill.
a) Fido is definitely affected by wind chill. Pets and farm animals should not be left outside during high wind chills.
b) When you first start your car in the morning, the engine is cold, so it is not affected by wind chill. However, if you use a block heater, the wind will reduce its efficiency by blowing away the heated air. Park the car so the heater is sheltered from the wind.
c) When your car is running, the engine is producing heat. The movement of your car creates its own wind, and if outside temperatures are cold enough, your car may not produce enough heat to warm the passenger compartment.
d) When your car has stopped, wind chill will cause it to cool off more rapidly, but once it has cooled down to the outside temperature, it will no longer be affected.
e) Poorly insulated houses lose heat more quickly during high wind chills, and fuel consumption increases.
f) Your mail box is not affected.
2. If the outside temperature is above 0°C, but the wind chill is (-5), will water freeze? What about the water pipes outside my house?

Answer: No matter how strong the wind blows, the outside temperature does not change. If the temperature is above zero, water will not freeze. However, if the outside temperature is below zero, water will freeze, and a strong wind will make your pipes freeze even faster.
3. What effect does wind chill have on plants? Will my garden freeze?

Answer: Wind does affect plants. Plants lose moisture through their leaves, and a strong wind can cause plants to dehydrate, particularly if the ground is frozen and their roots cannot absorb water. However, if the outside temperature is above zero, plants will not freeze. But, if the temperature is below zero, plants will freeze, and, just like your water pipes, a strong wind will make your plants freeze even faster.
4. You hear the following weather report on the radio: "The temperature is -10°C, and the wind chill is -20."

Questions:
a) If the wind stops blowing, how cold is it outside?
b) With the wind blowing, what is the temperature outside?

Answer: Both a) & b) have the same answer-- the temperature outside is -10°C. The temperature does not change, no matter how hard the wind blows. Wind chill is a feeling -- not a real temperature. The strong wind will make you feel very cold (as if you were in a room chilled to -20°C), but the outside temperature is still -10°C.

Meteorological Service of Canada - Environment Canada - Government of Canada
Graphics : [Turn off] | Formats : [Print] [PDA]
Skip to page content (access key:2)
Important Notices and Disclaimers
Created : 2002-08-26
Modified : 2002-12-18
Reviewed : 2002-12-18
Url of this page : http://www.msc.ec.gc.ca
/education/windchill/fact_quiz_e.cfm

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
And of note, those piles of fresh cow dung would be steaming quite mightily right now despite any of the wind chill bullshit being tossed around in this thread. but at a mighty quicker rate because of the windchill :nut: :rofl:

CUG
12-13-2009, 07:48 PM
but at a mighty quicker rate because of the windchill :nut: :rofl: You realize you're being satirical about fact right?

nonlinear
12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
a wind cannot reduce the temperature of a body lower than the air temperature. if the body temperature is less than the air temperature, the wind will heat the body.

JordanAndrew
12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Windchill is the effect on humans and animals. It has no effect on inanimate objects, other than how quickly it will drop the temperature. It wont bring the temperature below the actual outside temp.

If its +1 Celsius...and a windchill of -10..water will not freeze.

just as if its -30 out, but a windchill of -40..your radiator will still only drop to -30. it will drop quicker...but not below.

btw...a cool "windchill" calculator (http://www.ottawarun.com/windchill.htm)

well this thread grew just a bit. Anyways, I know the windchill doesn't affect inanimate objects, I was merely saying that the other member probably meant the temp. he mentioned with windchill.

nonlinear
12-13-2009, 07:58 PM
also, keep in mind that the 'windchill' reported by meteorologists only applies to exposed skin on your face, when you're average height and walking in an open field at 1.4 m/s. it doesn't apply to the top of your head, your arm, your knee, your dick, etc. etc. etc.

of course, you can calculate a 'windchill' for anything you want, but you need the proper correlations and parameter values for the body under consideration.

Neil4Speed
12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Be careful on the bridges over the bow (Crowchild Trail etc), super icy, easy to loose control there, especially going southbound. I really felt my car was a little unstable with winters.

nonlinear, care to expand your detailed scientific explanations on why bridges over water get excessively icy?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Yup, lots of ritards creating polished ice out there.

97'Scort
12-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Be careful on the bridges over the bow (Crowchild Trail etc), super icy, easy to loose control there.

nonlinear, care to expand your detailed scientific explanations on why bridges over water get excessively icy?
Bridges are made of concrete, which means two things:
a) they have poor drainage when compared to a regular road, and
b) they do not stay as warm as a regular road, since they have no earth under them.

As a consequence of part (a), some bridges are arced slightly to induce gravity drainage. The downside to this is any ice that does form is polished smooth by all the people trying to drive up the slope :)

nonlinear
12-13-2009, 10:05 PM
relative to the ground, bridges have 1) a higher surface area:volume ratio (better heat transfer rate) and 2) smaller thermal mass (easier heat accumulation). this means that bridges are more coupled to air temperature than the ground. when over a river or lake, water vapor will condense and freeze on bridge surfaces more than they will on ground, thus creating more ice on the bridge than the ground.

same applies to radiation to space, which i haven't considered. as well, conduction from the earth adds heat to the roads on the ground.

Neil4Speed
12-13-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2009/12/13/12141366.html

Edmonton coldest place on earth?

By CLARA HO, Edmonton Sun

Last Updated: 13th December 2009, 6:55pm

Duane Maul walks along 128 Avenue near 97 Street Sunday afternoon in a homemade winter coat. Maul said he made the coat out of a three inch deep sheepskin carpet and some bonded leather. "It's good down to -40 C," said Maul. "You won't even feel the cold." Overnight Edmonton hit -46 C, with frigid temperatures continuing throughout the day. (David Bloom/Edmonton Sun)

Duane Maul walks along 128 Avenue near 97 Street Sunday afternoon in a homemade winter coat. Maul said he made the coat out of a three inch deep sheepskin carpet and some bonded leather. "It's good down to -40 C," said Maul. "You won't even feel the cold." Overnight Edmonton hit -46 C, with frigid temperatures continuing throughout the day. (David Bloom/Edmonton Sun)

Edmonton was the coldest place in North America this morning and the second-frostiest in the world.

The Edmonton International Airport saw a record low of -46.1 C and -58.4 C with the windchill, outfreezing even the Arctic.

“The cold high pressure has been moving down from the Arctic over the prairies,” said Environment Canada meteorologist John McIntyre, adding British Columbia and Saskatchewan also experienced plummeting temperatures. “We are right now in the centre of the heaviest, coldest air.”

But the coldest day ever recorded in Edmonton remains unbeaten at -48.3 C with a windchill of -61 C on Jan. 26, 1972.

Today’s frigid temperatures broke the previous record for Dec. 13, which was -36.1 C set in 2008, as well as the record for the coldest day in December, a low of -44.5 C set on Dec. 9, 1977. Cold Lake, Grande Prairie and Whitecourt also had record lows today.

Only Dzalinda, Siberia, appeared to be colder, with a weather station there recording temperatures of -48 C.

The extreme weather was enough to stall some planes at the Edmonton International Airport, said spokeswoman Traci Bednard.

“A couple flights had to be diverted to Calgary (Saturday night) where it was warmer,” Bednard said, adding there were a few cancellations and a few delays early this morning.

By 8 a.m., when the temperature improved to -40 C, most planes were able to start operating again, she added.

“We are still asking people to check our website, www.flyeia.com, before heading out to the airport,” Bednard said, adding they can check up-to-date flight statuses on the site.

Meanwhile, within city limits, some Edmonton Transit buses experienced mechanical issues from the cold and had to be replaced. Others were running on average 10 to 15 minutes late, said transit spokeswoman Patricia Dickson.

The LRT system had weather-related problems with the track and had to run on a single track between the McKernan-Belgravia and South Campus stations for several hours. But otherwise, bus and train schedules remained unchanged, she said.

Motorists requiring AMA’s services were faced with 24-hour wait times for tows and 14-hour wait times for other services such as tire changes and boosts, said spokesman Kent Dixon. On an average day, wait times for a tow would be an hour and less than an hour for all other services, he added.

“My No. 1 piece of advice is to plug in your car. It is not an option in this weather,” Dixon said, adding oil starts turning into the consistency of molasses once the mercury dips to -15 C and colder.

If motorists have forgotten to plug in their vehicles overnight and they don’t start up the next morning, Dixon said it’s not too late to plug them in as soon as possible and wait a few hours before trying to start them up again.

“But if you don’t need to travel, stay in,” he said.

The temps made life difficult for Sun photographers. One shooter said his camera froze up in mere moments outside and wouldn’t work again until it was warmed up.

McIntyre said Albertans will soon get a reprieve from the cold when warm, pacific air moves through the province bringing a high of -10 C on Wednesday, a high of -4 C on Thursday, up to a high of -1 C on Friday.

[email protected]

“A couple flights had to be diverted to Calgary (Saturday night) where it was warmer,” Bednard said, adding there were a few cancellations and a few delays early this morning."

Cold comfort... :D

GQBalla
12-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Be careful on the bridges over the bow (Crowchild Trail etc), super icy, easy to loose control there.

werd

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs049.snc3/13636_511537159577_130600349_30574856_3056881_n.jpg

saw this this morning

PureDeXteritY
12-14-2009, 01:26 PM
a wind cannot reduce the temperature of a body lower than the air temperature. if the body temperature is less than the air temperature, the wind will heat the body.

So if it's 40C outside...I can't fan myself to cool down?
It will heat the body?

nonlinear
12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by PureDeXteritY

So if it's 40C outside...I can't fan myself to cool down?
It will heat the body?

assuming your body temperature is 37 C, and ignoring sweat, yes a 40 C wind will warm your body.

Vagabond142
12-14-2009, 10:16 PM

assuming your body temperature is 37 C, and ignoring sweat, yes a 40 C wind will warm your body.

I was in Edmonton a few years back during the vicious heatwave that hit there, with temps up to 43 C.... and I can claim this as very true. A light breeze was blowing all day, and it was actually hotter to be outside, even in the breeze, than inside almost any building or in any windbreak.

The ONLY time I actually felt a cooling effect was walking from the hotel to the convention center after a very hot shower. The wind whisked away all the warmer water, cooling me in the process via evaporation. After the water was out of my clothes and off my skin, it was as hot as before.