PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Locksmith to cut spare Audi/VW keys

ROBOCOP
12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know of a Locksmith in Calgary that can cut an Audi spare key for me? I checked with the dealer and they want $160 for just the key without remote fob, what a rip off. I have a blank and need a good Locksmith to cut it for me.

Key looks like this:

http://www.ealocksmith.com/ebay/listing/audikeys/audikeyb.jpg

TY

spike98
12-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I am almost certain that they have to code your ECU to accept the new key. They have a transponder in it that turns off the immobilizer.

The price isnt just for the key. It would also include the programming.

If you know someone with a VAGCOM cable you should be able to get them to do it after the key is cut.

G-ZUS
12-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I am almost certain that they have to code your ECU to accept the new key. They have a transponder in it that turns off the immobilizer.

If you know someone with a VAGCOM cable you should be able to get them to do it after the key is cut.

If you just want it cut, go to budget auto on 23st? across from the canadian whole sale club off barlow. he was the only person who did this back when I had my mercedes.

ROBOCOP
12-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by spike98

No immobilizer, so transponder chip isn't an issue, although they sell all keys with the transponder chip embedded (euro versions have immobilizers).

Originally posted by G-ZUS

If you just want it cut, go to budget auto on 23st? across from the canadian whole sale club off barlow. he was the only person who did this back when I had my mercedes.

Awesome! How was the cut? Does he have a machine to do it?

I should also maybe specify that the cut needs to be at the interior of the blade, not the sides of the blade like most Mercedes.

Like this:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7760/sl370200np9.jpg

Tik-Tok
12-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a place. When I had my Audi key cut, even the dealership had to do re-cut 3 times, the key is THAT finickey.

To quote the guy

"VW is easy, Audi is hard, Porsche is f&%^ing retarded"

G-ZUS
12-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I think it was about 40 bucks to laser cut it

ROBOCOP
12-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Anyone else know of other places closer to NW area?

cancer man
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Call Dave the lock guy he's in the yellow pages and he can even
re-code the keys as well.

If that key is an e-bay knock off your going to be screwed.

Kloubek
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
I couldn't help but notice the letters stamped into the key in your picture: "HAA".

As in.... "HAA... you're fucked if you want this to work without paying a ton!"

luxor
12-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I couldn't help but notice the letters stamped into the key in your picture: "HAA".

As in.... "HAA... you're fucked if you want this to work without paying a ton!"

:rofl:

ROBOCOP
12-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by cancer man
Call Dave the lock guy he's in the yellow pages and he can even
re-code the keys as well.

If that key is an e-bay knock off your going to be screwed.

Dave The Lock Guy? or is the David Locksmith? or Dan The Lock Man? I couldn't find the one you gave me.

I did get the key from Ebay and it does have a transponder chip however, the earlier B5 A4/Passats in North American do not have immobilizers equipped so I don't need programming.

bmw2010
12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
maybe the guy was bein a homo. go back tomorrow n see if a differrent guy/gal b workin