PDA

View Full Version : Post crash advice on modified vehicles.

big A
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Just a quick rundown on the crash before I ask for the advice. On these slippery roads going east on Anderson in the left lane a beautiful 2009 Toyota Tacoma in the right lane and a little in front of me lost control and came into my lane crashing me at least twice before we both went into the ditch.
My truck is a 99 Expedition. I am sure there is more damage to it than blue book says its worth however there are many mods to it making it worth more to me. I am wondering if any of you car mod guys have had this issue. They probably don't let you take any of your mods off after they write it off do they? Also advice on where to take it for estimates. The damage is Hood, front bumper passenger front and rear fender, bush gaurd.
Here is a link to an old thread from when I tried to sell it.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/184629/fs-1999-black-ford-expedition-xlt/
Thanks

exodus989
12-13-2009, 05:36 PM
You should be able to take off all the stuff that YOU bought as it's YOURS...?

npham
12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
If your insurance isn't updated after the mods where done than you can take them off if your car is written off.

buh_buh
12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
they usually dont, but you might be able to if you replace them with stock parts. If you feel its worth it, just buy it back after the writeoff, then part it out again.

97'Scort
12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I miss Alberta. TD insured all my mods as long as I gave them a list and copies of the receipts.

ICBC is happy to insure your mods for 50 cents on the dollar (meaning, you have $10k in mods, it'll cost you $5k a year to insure them). Otherwise, you're SOL.

Kloubek
12-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I had my car totalled once, and it got towed to a wrecker, or holding lot. (Can't quite remember). Anyway, they were not allowed to let me take anything off of it.

That included the stereo I had just installed a week prior....

big A
12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah I heard you can't take things that are bolted. Example: you can pull off your removeamble faceplate but you can't take out the stereo.

theken
12-13-2009, 08:58 PM
There is only one thing you can do.
You get it towed from the accident privately. To a body shop your house wherever then you pay the driver out of pocket and collect it back from insurance later.
That way it is at your house you can take everything out of it. Then insurance can check it out after.

se7en
12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
yeah. this.

be careful though, you can't just take off the good rims, and install bald ass donuts on it. It may look bad to the adjuster if there is any doubt as to who was at fault in the accident.

big A
12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Its at my house right now. I'm trying to find some garbage rims and tires for it before it goes to the shop.

big A
12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
First asessment was over 12xxx. Looks like its gonna go into Concours to get asessed and then fixed there or written off. Do people have opinions of them?

tom_9109
12-16-2009, 10:21 AM
In the case of a total loss on a vehicle that has aftermarket 'upgrades' you can handle it one of two ways.

1. You can leave the vehicle exactly how it is and point out the additions and upgrades so that they are taken into account in determining your ACV (actual cash value) and take nothing off the vehicle.

2. If you'd like to take of some items, get permission from the insurance company to do so and understand that if you remove a set of wheels you have to put a set of wheels on the vehicle. If you take out a stereo you must put a stereo back in the vehicle. If you strip parts off and put crap or nothing back in their place your ACV will be adjusted accordingly. Ie, if you take the wheels, and stereo and put nothing back your vehicle will be treated as a 1999 Expedition without wheels or a stereo. As far as add on items like a bush guard or fancy running boards go you'd likely not get a reduced ACV over them as they were additional to the standard equipment and not expected to be on the vehicle.

Keep in mind that any time you put aftermarket items onto a vehicle and spend XXXXX dollars you're likely not to see much of that money back in the case of a total loss or even a private sale for that matter.

Examples

1.Take out springs, spend $500 and put in lowering springs. Has the value of the car been increased? Not really.

2. Take off wheels and put on chrome wheels. Has the value of the car been increased? Yes, but slightly in most case. Expect 10 - 20% of the cost of the wheels.

3.Spend $500 on decals on the vehicle. Has the value of the car been increased? Probably not.

Use your better judgement when it comes to aftermarket add ons and upgrades. IF YOU were buying this vehicle from someone would you pay them the cost of the vehicle plus full retail for all the add ons? or would you only pay a little more for them?

Masked Bandit
12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
In the case of a total loss on a vehicle that has aftermarket 'upgrades' you can handle it one of two ways.

1. You can leave the vehicle exactly how it is and point out the additions and upgrades so that they are taken into account in determining your ACV (actual cash value) and take nothing off the vehicle.

2. If you'd like to take of some items, get permission from the insurance company to do so and understand that if you remove a set of wheels you have to put a set of wheels on the vehicle. If you take out a stereo you must put a stereo back in the vehicle. If you strip parts off and put crap or nothing back in their place your ACV will be adjusted accordingly. Ie, if you take the wheels, and stereo and put nothing back your vehicle will be treated as a 1999 Expedition without wheels or a stereo. As far as add on items like a bush guard or fancy running boards go you'd likely not get a reduced ACV over them as they were additional to the standard equipment and not expected to be on the vehicle.

Keep in mind that any time you put aftermarket items onto a vehicle and spend XXXXX dollars you're likely not to see much of that money back in the case of a total loss or even a private sale for that matter.

Examples

1.Take out springs, spend $500 and put in lowering springs. Has the value of the car been increased? Not really.

2. Take off wheels and put on chrome wheels. Has the value of the car been increased? Yes, but slightly in most case. Expect 10 - 20% of the cost of the wheels.

3.Spend $500 on decals on the vehicle. Has the value of the car been increased? Probably not.

Use your better judgement when it comes to aftermarket add ons and upgrades. IF YOU were buying this vehicle from someone would you pay them the cost of the vehicle plus full retail for all the add ons? or would you only pay a little more for them?

Now son, you're just using way too much common sense here for an insurance thread. I'm going to have to ask you to refrain from doing such in the future.

methodicreign
12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
hey, get back in the box, your not allowed to think outside the box like that. geeze...