PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Window Film

brentos
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey guys,
My parent’s house has pretty big windows and every room is getting pretty cold because of them. To a point where the furnace is running pretty constantly and 3 rooms are running separate heaters. To help save on gas and electric consumption I was just wondering if any of you guys have used insulating film for the windows and your experiences if they worked or not. Also where you got them form. I was planning to head down to Canadian tire tomorrow to try find something but maybe you guys will recommend something ells.
The bigger windows consist of 4 5.5”x6” and 4 6”x9”
Thanks!
:clap:

C_Dave45
12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I assume you meant 5.5' x 6' and 6'x9'. (" is inches).

But anyways, I lived in an old home and the same thing. Freezing all the time. I got that "shrink" wrap window film and it was a HUGE difference. Like night and day. Its tricky. I used a blow dryer and actually melted a hole in one spot. Once it was done you couldn't tell there was anything there. Just a little cloudier. But with your windows it's not gonna be cheap. Home Depot might have larger pieces, I dunno...haven't seen what CT has. But the stuff works like a charm. Just make sure the double sided tape goes onto a clean surface.

brentos
12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
I assume you meant 5.5' x 6' and 6'x9'. (" is inches).

But anyways, I lived in an old home and the same thing. Freezing all the time. I got that "shrink" wrap window film and it was a HUGE difference. Like night and day. Its tricky. I used a blow dryer and actually melted a hole in one spot. Once it was done you couldn't tell there was anything there. Just a little cloudier. But with your windows it's not gonna be cheap. Home Depot might have larger pieces, I dunno...haven't seen what CT has. But the stuff works like a charm. Just make sure the double sided tape goes onto a clean surface.

Haha yeah my bad I totaly didnt notice typing it on my iPhone.
I figured with the windows I would need to find a a place that has it in bulk. Good to know you noticed a diffrence! I hate walking around the house when its cold.

Impreza
12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Home depot sells this stuff in massive rolls.

03ozwhip
12-16-2009, 01:08 AM
^^^dont buy that shit, its garbage and it doesnt do half of what it says it will do. call up a residential tint shop and find out how much it is to buy from them. FYI those are HUGE windows and you might want to be careful tinting them. if theyre dual pane the heat that gets trapped between the glass and the film gets really warm and could cause your window to crack.

how do i know this? i worked installing residential film for 3 years and saw it happen all the time with big commercial windows that face west where all the heat comes from. just be careful and do your research on your windows and the film and for god sakes dont buy limo tint like other tools do, it will be a day and your window will be broken. good luck/.

Supa Dexta
12-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
and for god sakes dont buy limo tint like other tools do, it will be a day and your window will be broken. good luck/.

what does that mean? Broken from what?

ExtraSlow
12-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't think he's talking about film ON the windows, I think he's talking about that stuff you stretch over the frames to create a dead air apace. No danger of heating and cracking on this stuff.

punky
12-16-2009, 08:33 AM
i tried the one that stretches over the frame in my room. i couldn't even tell the difference with or without it, so i took it off.

03ozwhip
12-16-2009, 11:57 AM
ya im talking about film, not the stratchy thing. think about how much heat window tint in your car blocks out in that little space with limo tint. its something like 70 or 80 percent less hot in the car when its there.

now put it on a big double pane window filled with gas and its now trapping heat between the pane and the film. with all the heat and the pressure, the window will crack. if you dont believe me google it.

rvd
12-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Something like this right?

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5378/16112009.th.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/16112009.jpg/)

ExtraSlow
12-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I should have clarified. I think the OP is talking about the stretchy crap. That stuff will help in most situations.

Impreza
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
WTF does tinting have to do with insulation film? He isn't trying to keep his house cool by tinting the windows... The OP is hoping to minimize heatloss from the windows.

03ozwhip
12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
tinting will do both, thats why the fucking tint talk chill the fuck out.

C_Dave45
12-17-2009, 11:07 PM
tinting will do both, thats why the fucking tint talk chill the fuck out.

The OP had nothing to do with Tint. Try to keep up.

03ozwhip
12-18-2009, 12:23 AM
really? what does the thread title say? recommend window shade? no, it says recommend window FILM. last time i checked, film is tint. try to keep up.

C_Dave45
12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Really? What does the thread title say? Recommended window shade? No, it says recommended window FILM. Last time I checked, film is tint. Try to keep up.
fyp, btw.

The OP has nothing to do with window "shade" either. Dunno where you got that from. No one is talking about "shade". Tint is one thing...insulating film is quite another. That's what the OP was asking about, as any sane logical person who knows how to read can deduce from the responding posts. YOU are the only one who brought up TINT! Get it? We all understand if you don't...its ok.

03ozwhip
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
edit: thread title has been changed useless post...