PDA

View Full Version : P90x 2010 Edition

Pages : 1 [2]

shakalaka
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeap eventually I want to start doubles, but I just want to get the hang of this first. Especially right now I am unable to do it regularly since I am busy studying for 3 major exams coming up next month.

But I think that chin up bar from that website, and hit up canadian tire for some free weights sounds good then.

cdnsir
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Day 0 - 178.4lbs, 23.2%BF
Day 30 - 174.8lbs, 22.3%BF
Day 60/70 - 171.4lbs, 21.4%BF

Had to redo phase 2's week 1 cuz I pulled a muscle, and ended up extending this phase into a 5 week program.

I think I got this program figured out now. The first 2 weeks of every phrase you'll actually maintain or gain a bit of weight as your body is adjusting to the new exercises. The third and the recovery week is where the actually trimming happens. I mean physically I do sweat on the first 2 weeks, but it's on the last 2 where I'll literally be dripping in sweat. This is my theory at least... next week when I get on the scale again, I bet I'll pick back up 3lbs.

Anyway, based on the decrease in BF%. It works out to be 5lbs of lost fat over the past 2 months, and I'm starting to see faint signs of a 6 pack!!! Woohooo!

PS: How's everyone progress? Or did you guys all quit? :whipped:

RC-Cola
07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
So, I've been lurking this thread for the last few weeks and think I'm going to give the program a try.

I'm in ok shape, I ran a half marathon earlier this year, play on two competive soccer teams and so however I haven't "worked" especially my upper body in a long time. I'm finding over the past 6 months or that I've had several injuries that I think I can link back to my fitness (back issues, knee problem etc).

Unfortunately in a game earlier this year I was slide tackled which resulted in a dislocation of my ankle and a small break in my tiba. I've decided that coming back from this injury it might be a good time to slow down soccer and work on my overall fitness and thus the P90x program.

I have a young child at home so going to the gym everynight isn't a great option and I'm not enough of a morning person to get up before work. I'm hoping to do this program after my daughter goes to bed.

Anyways, I downloaded the program and viewed the bring it video and read the fitness guide. I still need another week or two to heal my leg, but I'm planning on starting Aug 1.

I wanted to pick up some weights and a bar, my wife suggests that I use bands instead, have you guys used either or both? what the benifit or downfall of each? If I get dumbbells, I was looking at the adjustable ones from Bowflex (less space and my daughter is less likely to "play" with them). Can I get these locally, is there anything else you'd recommend?

bigboom
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
So, I've been lurking this thread for the last few weeks and think I'm going to give the program a try.

I'm in ok shape, I ran a half marathon earlier this year, play on two competive soccer teams and so however I haven't "worked" especially my upper body in a long time. I'm finding over the past 6 months or that I've had several injuries that I think I can link back to my fitness (back issues, knee problem etc).

Unfortunately in a game earlier this year I was slide tackled which resulted in a dislocation of my ankle and a small break in my tiba. I've decided that coming back from this injury it might be a good time to slow down soccer and work on my overall fitness and thus the P90x program.

I have a young child at home so going to the gym everynight isn't a great option and I'm not enough of a morning person to get up before work. I'm hoping to do this program after my daughter goes to bed.

Anyways, I downloaded the program and viewed the bring it video and read the fitness guide. I still need another week or two to heal my leg, but I'm planning on starting Aug 1.

I wanted to pick up some weights and a bar, my wife suggests that I use bands instead, have you guys used either or both? what the benifit or downfall of each? If I get dumbbells, I was looking at the adjustable ones from Bowflex (less space and my daughter is less likely to "play" with them). Can I get these locally, is there anything else you'd recommend?

When i started p90x i was usign the bands, i didnt want to make the commitment in buying weights. The bands work but I found I saw the most results when i went to free weights. As for weights I bought the power blocks up to 90lbs. I'd reccomend the power blocks as the bowflex ones are too big, a lot of the exercises are changed because of how long the bow flex weights are.

cdnsir
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
This might actually work out very well for you. The upper body part is one thing. But the leg exercises here might actually help you with your recovery a little bit. All the leg exercises are all body weight-based, so it shouldn't be too stressful on your leg. And plyo, which is another cardio/leg day, will help you with building back up your endurance.

About the bands, I'm a freeweights guy as well. As you saw from the video, most exercises can be done on the bands. But like what many other had said already, it's just not the same. And as for weights, my friend bought an adjustable set at Costco for around $300 not too long ago. But his only goes up to 55lbs I think.

RC-Cola
07-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

When i started p90x i was usign the bands, i didnt want to make the commitment in buying weights. The bands work but I found I saw the most results when i went to free weights. As for weights I bought the power blocks up to 90lbs. I'd reccomend the power blocks as the bowflex ones are too big, a lot of the exercises are changed because of how long the bow flex weights are.

Interesting, I didn't realize the bowflex weights were really big, I hadn't seen them in person. I saw the power block weights at fitness depot but I've seen complaints on the web about working them is hard due to the fact your hand is inside the block.

RC-Cola
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
This might actually work out very well for you. The upper body part is one thing. But the leg exercises here might actually help you with your recovery a little bit. All the leg exercises are all body weight-based, so it shouldn't be too stressful on your leg. And plyo, which is another cardio/leg day, will help you with building back up your endurance.

About the bands, I'm a freeweights guy as well. As you saw from the video, most exercises can be done on the bands. But like what many other had said already, it's just not the same. And as for weights, my friend bought an adjustable set at Costco for around $300 not too long ago. But his only goes up to 55lbs I think.

Sadly, my legs aren't really the issue. They are still in good shape as I've been able to ride a bike a lot and frankly Physio has been all about strengthing the ankle joint. I'm more worried about the upper body for sure. I really want to work on my core, arms & chest.

I'll check Costco as well.

Thanks!

lint
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Interesting, I didn't realize the bowflex weights were really big, I hadn't seen them in person. I saw the power block weights at fitness depot but I've seen complaints on the web about working them is hard due to the fact your hand is inside the block.

They are long and awkward especially at lower poundages. There are better options out there.

shakalaka
07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
I suggest just get some variations of regular metal weights. Get a set a 10lb, 20lb and 30lb. Something along the lines, or whatever weight you think, you'll be able to lift. That's probably going to be a LOT cheaper than one of those adjustable weights, that easily run in 100's.

There is a link for a chin-up bar that's posted a little higher on this page, so check that out as well. That's the one I am going to be ordering within a day or two.

And deff. free weights/chin up bar > straps. Unless you are a complete beginner and want to ease into the whole program. I personally rather have really light free weights than straps to be honest.

slots881
07-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I have a set of the 50lbs Powerblocks. They are actually great for doing the P90x workouts. There aren't too many exercises that you would need the 50lbs/dumbell.

The powerblocks are pretty easy to quick adjust and save so much space. they are quite a bit smaller than the bowflex dumbells.
As some people have said, the handles are a bit recessed, so it did take a workout to get use to, but after that, there isn't really an exercise you can't do.

That said, I'm currently doing P90x along with going to the gym. I find the P90 workouts a good change up from gym lifting, and they are a good alternative if you're pressed for time, but still want to get a workout in.

Clever
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
In week 4 right now of my third try, been going real hard since the foot injury. So much harder to work out during the summer since I'm always doing things with the kids but I'm not slowing down, missed 1-2 cardio nights but I just do them early in the morning the next day. I had to buy a few pairs of jeans and shorts since none of my other ones seem to fit anymore, and a belt too, LOL. Keep up the good work everyone.

cdnsir
07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm on week 10 here. During this last phase, I'm pretty much doing to failure on every single set. If I'm done, I'll rest 5sec then go in again and squeeze for 1 or 2 more. I admit this has gotten me a leaner look, abs has never been tighter and I got veins popping out of the weirdest places. But I do have to say, it's getting kinda boring now. I watch the vids and I'll be like 'When's the halfway mark coming?' Then, 'Come on, get me to the cool down already.'

This is a great program to lose weight no doubt. But I have to say, I'm missing real lifting. I miss getting on the bench and think 'Oh crap, gotta push this up, if not I'm gonna get crushed." That said, only 2 more weeks to go. Never thought about quitting before, and certainly won't be quitting now.

shakalaka
07-29-2010, 11:03 AM
That's my biggest worry as well. While sure I could lose a few pounds and get lean, at the same time I want to get a bit bigger as well. Just don't want to end up losing all the muscle I have gained so far either and end up being simply thin. But they do keep saying this program can be used by those who want to build muscle as well, by just switching to heavier weights and lowering the reps, so I am hoping that will kind of do the trick.

cdnsir
07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
OK don't wanna sound douchey but my arms are quite big to begin with. So instead of doing 8-10 on the bi's, I do 15's to get more definition. Everything else I do 8-10 to hopefully gain more size. But the fact is, from subtracting my fat lost with my total weight lost, I did lose muscle mass. Plain and simple, this is a trimming program due to the intensity and the shear amount of total reps you do.

shakalaka
08-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Well they do say it's for trimming and building, depending on the reps you chose to do with the weights right. I mean the size is gained with resistance training anyway. The rest of high repetitions does trim you but mostly shreds the fat, if you eat right. So keep the reps lower and weights heavy for the exercises that require you to use the actual weights. Think that should do the trick. Going to run the routine with that anyway. Either way I am sure whatever I see at the end will be positive and hopefully without losing much muscle but just fat.

dkmlam
08-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I skipped a couple weeks near the end while I was out of the country, on vacation (you can see my tan...)
I didn't follow the nutrition guide, but I tried to follow the workouts. I skipped kenpo and plyometrics a few times (was tired from other sports) and skipped yoga a few times when I didn't have too much time.

cdnsir
08-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Sexy timez dkm!!! Great results, better definitions all over and really tight abs. - NO HOMO

Must had been a great time to hit the beach with your new beachbody dude! So what's next for you, another round or trying out another program?

cdnsir
08-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Here's another p90x grad checking in.

I'm pretty happy with my before vs. after stats. Lost 5lbs in 3mths with pretty much all of that being fat. Added a lot more definition and got veins popping out all over (weird places like across the abs and between the pecs?). Size wise, I gained 2" across a relaxed chest. I'm pretty sure that's from all the chin/pullups from the program. Waist gone down by an inch, while gaining almost 1" on my ass. LOL But thighs did get more firmed and trimmed, which had to be from all the lunges.

Again, this is me following the workouts to the tee minus the dieting. I sometimes shift my off day around to fit my own schedule, but no workouts were ever missed. Did extend the second phase by a week because I had to redo one week when I had a mild pulled groin.

Overall, this is another confirmation that this workout is awesome if you are a bit heavy and wanna lose some weight. Or used as a trimming session after you've been lifting for a while. Which is exactly what I'll be doing when I revisit this program again sometime next year. Next up though, it's time to start growing some meat on bones. My goal is to gain 15lbs in 3 months. 5x5, I hope you are as effective in gaining as p90x was in trimming!

Day 0 - 178.4lbs, 23.2%BF
Day 30 - 174.8lbs, 22.3%BF
Day 60 - 171.4lbs, 21.4%BF
Day 90 - 173lbs, 21.6%BF

Chest - 36 -> 38"
Waist - 33 -> 32"
Hips - 38.5 -> 39"
L. Thigh - 21.5 -> 20"
R. Thigh - 21.5 -> 20"
L. Bi - 15.5 -> 16"
R. Bi - 16 -> 16"

*For reference, my height is 6'

Clever
08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Congrats Cdnsir, I'll update stats as well when I finish, are you planning to continue on with the program or going to try something else?

cdnsir
08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks man, hope your program is going well as well!

Me, I'm doing the 5x5 from stronglifts.com that a bunch of people on here did. Started yesterday and wow, so much shorter, and I don't get soaked in sweat as I did in p90x anymore. LOL

But I am bringing parts of p90x over though. That program requires you to do 3 sets of push-ups/pull-ups on alternating days right. So yesterday, I did wide, military, and diamonds instead of 3 straight sets of standard push-ups. I'll mix the pull-ups as well to include the dreaded cobbler... I'll also be rotating plyo/yoga/kenpo into one of the off days as cardio. All mainly for added variety but... You can say it's for old times sake. ;)

shakalaka
08-19-2010, 09:58 AM
So I was about to purchase the chin up bar posted here a while back.
http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/p-609-c-62-premium-chin-up-bar.html

Until I read in the description that it fits doorway upto 32" wide. However my problem is that I measured the doorways in my house and the smallest one is about 34 1/2" wide, which is a bit bigger than what that chin up bar is for.

Now I am worried that if I order that one, it prolly won't work for me. So I am looking for some other chin up bars that are good as well I guess. I finish my exams tomo and I really need to start the routine asap, cause I feel like shit due to no exercise at all.

Any help?

RC-Cola
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I did my Fit Test last night with all my measurements. My leg is healthy enough now I can do the program (jumping exercises are still hard to do).

Shak, I bought my chin-up bar at Fitness Source at Deerfoot Mall. It will handle up to a 32"-36" door way and was $40. They are right in the front door with all the P90x stuff.

RC-Cola
08-19-2010, 02:30 PM
One other questions for you graduates of the program, did you guys do the supplements, shakes and diet or a combo or none of it?

shakalaka
08-20-2010, 12:36 AM
I did my Fit Test last night with all my measurements. My leg is healthy enough now I can do the program (jumping exercises are still hard to do).

Shak, I bought my chin-up bar at Fitness Source at Deerfoot Mall. It will handle up to a 32"-36" door way and was $40. They are right in the front door with all the P90x stuff.

Thanks man will check it out after the exam tomo. Is it easy enough to install? Does it need any bolting or anything into the door frame? How is it to use? Feel sturdy? What's the max weight capacity.

Sorry to bombard you with all the questions, but just want to make sure that I don't end up with a wrong one.

Thanks.

RC-Cola
08-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Thanks man will check it out after the exam tomo. Is it easy enough to install? Does it need any bolting or anything into the door frame? How is it to use? Feel sturdy? What's the max weight capacity.

Sorry to bombard you with all the questions, but just want to make sure that I don't end up with a wrong one.

Thanks.

You have to put it together which is four bolts and about three minutes to do.

It doesn't bolt it hangs off the door frame on the opposite side and then two arms press against the frame on the other side. You put it up or down as you use it.

It states that it will hold 300 pounds, I'm 6'0 and 200 pounds and I have had no issues with it yet.

cdnsir
08-20-2010, 08:58 AM
One other questions for you graduates of the program, did you guys do the supplements, shakes and diet or a combo or none of it?

I did double scoops of protein after the lifting days. Figured I'll need to rehydrate anyways so might as well replenish the protein while I'm at it. Same idea with the non-lift days, except I do only one scoop. Diet-wise I portioned down the size of my 3 main meals, then added 2 snack meals (fruit and veg) in between.

The end result is I didn't lose as much weight as some others did. Which is great for me as my goal is to trim fat while trying to gain a bit more muscles anyways. I personally feel this program is great for burning off excess fat. As long as you can balance your diet to run a slight calorie deficit everyday. Which really means running deficit at 6/7 days a week, you would end up shedding a lot more.

dkmlam
08-20-2010, 10:51 AM

I drank 1 scoop of protein powder right after each resistance workout.

RC-Cola
09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
So I'm starting week 3 and so far so good. I've improved each program each week so far.

I found that YogaX kicked my ass the first time I did it, it was a little easier second go round but still hard. AbripperX was very hard the first three or four times, it's still hard but getting easier.

I'm not following the diet scritly, more like cdnsir did, I've made my portions smaller, cut out the crap food (no squishes, no beer or chips) and have added healthy snacks (I've gone to the Farmer's Market to get fresh baby carrots).

I haven't noticed a huge difference yet, I'd say that my arms and shoulders have shown the biggest improvement by getting harder not really bigger yet. I've lost a few pounds and say that I've lost some off my waist. I'll be interested to do my measurements again at the end of next week.

cdnsir
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
...blah blah NO BEER blah blah blah...

Dude you're cutting out beers!? Now that puts the X in P90x man! I don't think I can ever do that to myself, I gots to have me liquid gold! :burnout:

Yup, what you're feeling is about right. You won't build too much volume from here, this program trims you down and rips you up. Sounds like you're pushing pretty hard, really glad to hear that. Keep up the good work sir, I'm sure your 30 day numbers will be impressive!

Side note, I'm off p90 for 3 weeks now. Been doing regular lifting 3 times a week, kept doing plyo/kenpo rotations and yoga on my off days. The result for now is quite promising so far. Didn't gain any weight yet, and my body fat actually kept going down!

RC-Cola
09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I forgot to update my 4 week numbers. I'm in week 6 now and starting to see a bigger difference in my body's symentry.

After four weeks I lost 4 pounds, lost two inches on my chest (losing the man-boobs or moobs) and lost two inches around my belly button (love handles area).

I gain 1/2 inch on each bicep and overall feel pretty good.

I'm really looking forward to the 8 week numbers. I started to really notice a nice build up in the shoulders and upper arms. Losing quite a bit around the mid-section too. :thumbsup:

Jonel
10-03-2010, 08:25 AM
I started this program 4 weeks ago, doing the lean schedule. I'm on Week 4 Day 2 when the unexpected happened. My right calf muscle had a spasm during the towel hopping segment of the program. Haven't been able to work out for 2 days now, Will be restarting Week 4 again hopefully by tonight. The pain is still there but it's not so bad that I can't walk.

slick2404
10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm starting to suffer from the Freshman 15....I am working up north for next 8 months on a week on week off shift...back home in calgary for my week off and feel the extra weight.

Can anyone recommend p90x for a dormroom setting? The camp gym is under rennovations and quite honestly I don't see it being ready for some time now, all they have is the cardio room ready. How much room is required to do the program, I can bring some weights and I have a pull up bar I can hang in the closet.

My room is pretty small, but if I don't keep fit on my weeks here I'm gonna just eat/work/sleep which is already taking its toll.

RC-Cola
10-14-2010, 03:43 PM
My wife and I are doing the program from a computer screen in our office which is maybe 10'x14'. It doesn't take up much room, I have a chin-up bar and adjustable dumbells.

chathamf
10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I found it was much easier to have quite a bit of space. I can't see it being very easy to do an a 10 by 14 room with two people.

There is a lot of jumping around which I find you cover quite a bit of distance in to do it properly. Might be tough to do everything properly in a dorm room, but the majority of stuff should be no problem. All of the lifting ones are no problem, just might end up hitting a wall or two with plyo and such, haha.